Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Never been to Norwalk. Just how great is it?

A local guy here says he's going to Norwalk in August. He says it's way better than POCI's national convention and he always has a great time. Then again, he brings his race car. Still worth making the trip from Florida even if you don't race your car?

Last edited by 71 T/A; 03-08-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think you'll be disapointed at all.
That is a bit of a haul if you drive up.

I met up with my Buddy in years past I flew in from VA & he flew up from FL.
Rented a Pontiac (Enterprise) and put it in the show
Funny thing is It won a trophy

Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its awesome and my all time favorite show. It has racing going on all day along with a car show right next to each other.
I dont race but have been there (12 HR + drive one way) showing a car before and thought it worth ever mile.
Every one should try it at least once due to it being so different.
Enjoy,
Brew

Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had never been to Norwalk either.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Senior Chief

I just started going 2 years ago it is the best! Its like being in pontiac heaven.

06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My friend says it's a 20-hour drive to Norwalk. Might want to take a flight instead.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM

My wife(who isn't really into cars) went with me a couple years ago and she had a blast. She enjoyed meeting some people from here and had fun watching the cars race(asked me if her Neon[at the time, now she has a Mini]) could spin its' tires like that I said yeah if I nuetral dropped it

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

goatnut, Pontiac Heaven is in Phoenix in April!!!

www.pontiacheaven.org

POCI.org
Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess I am biased cause Norwalk is my local track and I have been there every year as a spectator, vendor, or car show participant. You have to go at least once even if you live in Florida. I am betting once wont be enough though. There is plenty to do locally if you bring your family also. The Norwalk facility is one of the nicest racetracks you will ever see and is locally run by the Bader family. You owe it to yourself to attend. Jim

Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
A local guy here says he's going to Norwalk in August. He says it's way better than POCI's national convention and he always has a great time. Then again, he brings his race car. Still worth making the trip from Florida even if you don't race your car?
Comparing Norwalk to a GTOAA or POCI convention is like comparing apples to oranges. The national conventions are about the tech seminars, the cars, getting back together with friends, the continued preservation of Pontiacs moving forward, etc. These conventions move every year around the country and are hosted/volunteered by local clubs. Drag racing is actually a very small part of these week long events.

Norwalk, on the other hand, is all about drag racing, with a smaller car show (compared to drag racers), swap meet, etc. Norwalk is also a business venture much like Fun Ford Weekends or Super Chevy Shows. Though, I have disagreements on how some things have been done at Norwalk, all in all, it is an excellent event! The track is one of the best around and the Bader family does an excellent job of providing great hospitality for the weekend. For me, it's a 3-day party in a very laid back atmosphere. I have attended the last 10 years and it is a family reunion of sorts for the Pontiac community. Being the same weekend every year at the same venue has really given strength to this event.

I make an effort to attend Norwalk and the National Conventions every summer. Each event has a specific purpose in my mind.

Like JKGTO said, there is only one problem with attending Norwalk...one time won't be enough! It will become a staple in your calendar for years to come.

-Doug Pulskamp

Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and kids won't go to the local track with me about 20 minutes away, but they look forward to going to Norwalk which is 3 1/2 hours away. The wife wants to move somewhere south and if we ever do, I'll still make the trip to Norwalk. I missed it the first couple years they had it but haven't missed one since.

I don't know where Pembroke Pines is, but my in-laws live in Avon Park (just north of Sebring). We drove down there at Christmas and it took me exactly 16 hrs. and 2 minutes from my door to theirs (w/ 3 females in the car). Add 3 hours from me to Norwalk and maybe that will give you an idea how far the drive is.

You have to do it at least once!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive never been either but Id really like to go. The money always ends up going somewhere else. This year....forgetaboutit.

Doesn't the popular vote show get something like 800 cars?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if your into pontiacs it is the most fun you will have with your cloth on!Tom

Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 PM

I been drag racing since 1957 Norwalk is by far the best dragstrip I have ever been to!!
You are treated like a long lost family member! The food prices are great where else can you get a 1 pound cup of ice cream for $1.00.

old-old timer

Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might think twice.
5 yrs straight for me. 3rd racing there.

Wasnt gon'a bring the car last year.
Whole front end off to start body work-n-paint. Plus valley cover off replacing 2 bad lifters.
Monday night that week, my kids asked if we could take the car-n-race.
Said "if you help me slap it back together in time".
Got'r there Friday bean time.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 03-08-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This will be my fourth year out of every year for the rest of my life. And part of what makes it so laid back and easy for me is the campground is on the grounds. Never have to leave, never a boring night.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's the Mecca of Pontiac Events. If you haven't gone - better plan on it !! We've been going since 2005. It's the one event you be making plans to go the day you head back home - AWESOME !!!

If you can stay in the pits or in the camping area - you'll get more involved with the event and meet some really good people.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think its more fun going to open events and killing some chevy and fords.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATGTO View Post
I think its more fun going to open events and killing some chevy and fords.
Did you get a chance to go to the Pontiacs in the Park event last year? They had "Pontiacs against the World". It was pretty cool. Every line up was a Pontiac against anything but! We had a blast there too.

They plan to do it again at the PITP event this year.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
goatnut, Pontiac Heaven is in Phoenix in April!!!

www.pontiacheaven.org
Kieth I know what he meant, "You just died and went to Pontiac Heaven", which is the exact way I felt the first time I went there. I missed like the first 6 years and since I went the first time I believe it was 1997, I haven't missed one since. I thought about not going one year when I was without a job and thought I couldn't afford to go but as it drew nearer I hatched a plan to be able to go. I packed all the food I'd need for the weekend in a cooler and I slept in my car in the parking lot. I even had enough left over to go see the Sprintcar races in nearby Fremont Ohio on Saturday night.

If you consider yourself a "PONTIADDICT" you should start working on a plan to go now and you'll never be disappointed after you've gone once. One major drawback in and around Norwalk in the summer is the close proximity of the huge amusement park Cedar Point. That major tourist spot raises the cost of a motel room in the area to sky high. There are a few ways to get around it though. Norwalk Raceway Park has on site campgrounds and you can rent a spot for $25 bucks for the weekend, there are a limited number of camping spots and RV parking available, but they do sell out. Another way around it is to book a room more than 25 miles away and the cost of driving that extra is well worth the small inconvenience equated to money saved. If your booking a room the earlier the better. On the pit side if your racing you can camp in the pits but they are paved so you can't drive tent stakes in.

There are usually around 500 show cars and a like amount of race cars and the Manufacturers midway is usually 50-60 vendors with everything you could want in the way of Pontiac merchandise. When I started going of course I wasn't selling T Shirts and I had 3 days to walk around look and meet people. Now the wife and I are kinda limited in the amount of time we have to socialize and look around, Oh well.

Link to website: http://pontiacnationals.com/

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated