Old 03-11-2003, 05:36 PM

I just fixed some of the electric wires on my GTO. nothing major, but the fuel gauge is stuck on full no matter what i do, it stayes there. I've checked for power ,it's there i grounded it , still no good I bought a new sending unit will try that later, is there any thing else that could be wrong?? confused

Old 03-11-2003, 05:36 PM

I just fixed some of the electric wires on my GTO. nothing major, but the fuel gauge is stuck on full no matter what i do, it stayes there. I've checked for power ,it's there i grounded it , still no good I bought a new sending unit will try that later, is there any thing else that could be wrong?? confused

Old 03-11-2003, 08:53 PM

More than likely you pinched the brown sending unit wire on top of the gas tank to the body. Check ground wire also.

Micky Hale
Micky Hale Restorations
www.haleperformance.com

Old 03-12-2003, 06:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the gas prices the way they are, that's a good thing right? At least you aren't leaking gas like me!

"The Humbler is here, this is the way it's going to be baby!"

Old 03-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Big bub, by any chance, did you convert to ralley gauges? That is a common result when doing that. Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org Parting 300 vintage Pontiacs.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 03-13-2003, 06:39 AM

That's the way i bought the car with the gauge stuck on full. THANKS

Old 03-20-2003, 01:44 PM

I had exactly the same problem when I got my -72 GTO back from the paint shop. When they reconnected the wires and put back the rear bumper they actually missconnected the wires at the back. You can actually connect the power cable coming from the sending unit to the ground plug and then miss the real power wire coming from the front totally. Naturally it won't work. I believe the plugs were brown and white. Just find all four plugs and plug them brown to brown and white to white. My gauge started to work right away! And the tank was empty...

2 nd owner
Euro model with km speedo
Old 04-13-2003, 07:15 AM

So, the guage and the license plate light are on the same connector right? or is that hot and ground on that plug by the truck latch? In addition, what is the "looped" line that is just under the truck latch? It just comes up, makes a loop and goes right back down.