Old 04-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 455HO that doesn't smoke, but burns a little oil, and has what I think is 123,000 miles. The car moves-out fine and idles alright smooth with no noises. Haven't had a bit of trouble besides breaking and replacing the timing chain.

I know what you're probably saying; he should have just rebuilt the motor right then huh? Well I didnt. From the start I felt really comfortable with the mechanics and don't have the money for that at this point in the restoration. The car was essentially all there when I got it, but it sat for a few years.

The question I have is this; would an engine in this condition benifit from using a "rebuild in a can" product like RESTORE? My dad never liked additives but am willing to try if it won't gum-up my motor. Should I leave well enough alone

Any thoughts

Old 04-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 455HO that doesn't smoke, but burns a little oil, and has what I think is 123,000 miles. The car moves-out fine and idles alright smooth with no noises. Haven't had a bit of trouble besides breaking and replacing the timing chain.

I know what you're probably saying; he should have just rebuilt the motor right then huh? Well I didnt. From the start I felt really comfortable with the mechanics and don't have the money for that at this point in the restoration. The car was essentially all there when I got it, but it sat for a few years.

The question I have is this; would an engine in this condition benifit from using a "rebuild in a can" product like RESTORE? My dad never liked additives but am willing to try if it won't gum-up my motor. Should I leave well enough alone

Any thoughts

Old 04-21-2003, 07:59 PM

Most additives are a gimmick, some are copied from existing products some are a chemists get rich idea.
I know, I sell them!
I don't believe in them but people keep asking for them.
Our delivery trucks engines last for 350-400,000 kilos without lifting a valve cover and no additives.
GM has a oil additive that does have some merrit, it's called E.O.S. (engine oil suppliment)
It really works to replenish the required chemical additives that would normally be burnt off during normal engine running conditions.This was truly the case in the 80's and early 90s.
Modern oils with good ratings chemical additives can withstand more heat therfore do not burn away and it's unlikle our hobby cars oils ever breakdown with occasional driving, if anything they get dirty (moisture,dirt,shellac)
You can add a can of this stuff without fear of plugging anything up and it is known to quiet small running noises (valve train clatter etc)
My best advise, regular oil and filter changes. let the engine use a little oil. After all it's lubricating the complete valve stem. Once it starts to use lots or begins to foul plugs, it's overhaul time.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:43 PM

AMEN CDN....just dont expect to pick up many sponsers with that line!!! hahahahahaa