Old 02-14-2021, 07:52 PM

Default Simulated Wood Grain Removal

Does anyone know if the simulated wood grain from the instrument panel is removable. If so how does it line up in the new reproduction dash panels. My chrome is shot and I am thinking about buying one of the new dash panels. This is for a 65 GTO.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The wood grain is very thin veneer, it is glued on and will break apart in pieces. Mine did when I sent it out to be rechromed. The repo wood grain fits nice with just a little sanding on some spots to fit nicely. I am sure the repo dash will be the same if not better.

Dave

Old 02-15-2021, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

ORDER THE WOOD THAT COMES WITH PEEL AND STICK OR JUST A FEW DROPS OF GLUE I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE THAT DOESN'T FIT PERFECTLY....but ONLY GET THE ONE THAT HAS THE CLEAR COAT FINISH ON IT ! you're gonna have a beautiful dash after u purchase the new or redone panel ...the new chrome is real nice...wait and see what all this does for your GTO

Old 02-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For 65 and 66 GTOs that walnut veneer was glued to a piece of aluminum .060" thick. Then the aluminum is contact cemented to the front of the dash bezel. New wood walnut veneer is sold with and w/o the aluminum backer, you need the backer.

It is nearly impossible to remove 55 year old wood in one piece, that or that aluminum backer intact enough to re-use it on another bezel.

The cement GM used to use on that stuff is pretty strong. The walnut veneer usually chips off and/or peels away over time but that aluminum piece is glued in there pretty strong!

Old 02-15-2021, 08:00 PM

I was actually referring to the plastic wood grain in my current dash. Can the plastic wood grain be removed without destroying it. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Plastic wood grain???

Old 02-16-2021, 12:41 PM

Yes, the plastic version. I have 2 instrument panels, one was real wood (trashed) and one fake. I actually like the look of the simulated wood grain better.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...21#post5882721

Old 02-20-2021, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if this is helpful but I worked hard to remove the machine turned look '64 aluminum insert on my '64 GTO dash.

You can read about my experience here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=799099

If your '65 insert is aluminum backed, conceivably you could remove it in a similar way without damaging the wood look "veneer" or the aluminum backing.

I got mine to pull away with the use of "tools" as described.

But I then removed the adhesive from the insert and the dash by the use of Goo Gone spray gel and as I mentioned in that thread, it occurred to me that I might have had an easier time removing the insert if I had made use of the spray gel during the removal.

The trick will be to lift the aluminum backing a bit and spray the gel in and then let it soak for 30 minutes or so. Then gently pry a bit more, spray more Goo Gone gel in behind, let soak, pry, repeat.

Look for a "loose" edge to get started and work very gently/slowly. If the Goo Gone can soften the adhesive, you'll have a fighting chance.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:57 PM

Yes that helped. Sounds like it is possible if you a patient.