Old 02-26-2021, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Aluminum Cragar GT wheel?

Cragar offers the traditional steel/alum SS and also a one piece aluminum/chrome vintage "GT" wheel that look just like the SS but more of a flat machined rim kind of like the hurst wheel.

I actually was not aware of the aluminum/chrome GT wheel and thinking I like that better. anyone using these wheels? pics?

cragar calls them "vintage" yet i don't recall these, what era/cars were these typically on back in the day? (proly silly question, but I don't remember these GT wheels and i'm almost 60)

i'm going with the 15 x 7, 4" backspace stock size. not a modern era big rim fan.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Suspended

I have and have factory chrome plated aluminum wheels. They don't last. The chrome bubbles and peels from self-inflected corrosion caused by dis-similar metals. You're going to be better off with the SS.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I have and have factory chrome plated aluminum wheels. They don't last. The chrome bubbles and peels from self-inflected corrosion caused by dis-similar metals. You're going to be better off with the SS.
thank you chief! your exactly the one I knew would know about these. oddly, these are more than hundred bucks more apiece so you saved me money as well. i'm guessing the aluminum were a pre-cursor to the steel chrome ss?

was leaning towards the traditional steel ss but i do like that flat machined area on the aluminum.

so i'll go with the 61C573440, 15 x 7, 4 x 75, 4" bs........I'm confused on what chrome lug nuts go with this wheel? can you assist on that? these are the direct drill wheels. I can't tell which lug nut set. i dont need the locking lug either. car will never set alone for a theft to happen!

Old 02-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Traditional SS's have a steel hoop (rim) welded to an aluminum spoke section. So they still will eventually have issues, but you probably won't be around to see it.

This is a shot of an original SS on one of my race cars. The wheel is dated 1976 and at 100+ you don't notice it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0155.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	561599   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0156.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	561600   Click image for larger version

Name:	AL8BUllh.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	561601  

Old 02-26-2021, 12:51 PM
Suspended

I missed 2 parts of your post.

First off, the only "all steel" SS's style wheel that I know of was an Appliance wheel. Appliance hasn't been around in a long time.

As far as lug nuts go.... If you look at the photos I posted, those are McGard Tough Nuts. Got to be the best in the industry as they have a "Lifetime" warranty. Now, the ones in the photos are "open ended" lug nuts with screw in plastic caps. You probably wouldn't want those but you can get Tough Nuts in a more traditional "closed end" lug. Well worth the money.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default now if summit or jegs can get em.....time to order

I'll check into those.

I actually didnt know the cragar ss was steel and aluminum till checking into them now.

curious whats the purpose of the open end lug nut, screw in plastic insert? race car thing? oops, i got it, a locking insert for racing. yep.

whats confusing me on the lugs is do I need a conical acorn lug or do the direct drill use a straight in the hole and washer? your pics look straight in the hole with washer.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:39 PM
Suspended

You won't find them readily listed at Summit or other like places, but Cragar offers 3 lug choices.

Conical Seat - Like a typical lug nut with the taper.

Old Style Shank - Like the ones in my photos

Uni-Lug - The typical ones that everyone sells because they fit all the popular bolt patterns thus cutting down on inventory.

I do not like Uni-Lug. Just don't feel safe, especially when racing. Shank (IMO) gives better stability and strength due to all the real estate the lug takes up. Conical, according to the Cragar rep, was made available for those people who complained about marking or chipping chrome due to the washers. The choice is yours.

I just bought some American Racing Torq-Thrusts for my Dodge Magnum Wagon. They take the shank style lug nuts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3280.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	561631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3281.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	561632