Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 PM

Default Stock AM-FM radio

I have a 65 GTO with a stock AM-FM factory radio. Both bands work, however, the reception on the FM band is weak even with the strongest stations. I know that the antenna is trimmed on the AM band by tuning to a weak station near 1400 and adjusting the trimmer until the volume peaks. My question is: Is there any way, on these radios, to trim the antenna, to the FM band, or adjust the radio, on the FM band, to make the reception stronger? Antenna length is 31 inches. Any help appreciated.
Thank You.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The FM band is not very sensitive to antenna length. Most FM radios will work with no antenna.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Then why is an am-fm mast different than the am. Am-fm mast are thinner and are a fixed height. Could make the difference.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Read this thread, it is about weak AM reception in an AM-FM but the info from Gary Tayman is informative. If you are lucky, maybe the contact cleaner on the AM-FM switch will help you.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...p?f=6&t=255109

You might also want to contact him directly to discuss your problem, here is his website:

http://www.taymanelectrical.com/

I have no knowledge of him, just googled and found this stuff.

I'm reminded that one of my first car "repair" memories was when I was probably about 4, driving in the front seat with my parents. Old car with a non-working radio. Apparently I turned it on and started fiddling with it and it started working. My parents were very impressed with my auto repair expertise. The memory was reinforced by their retelling of that story thru the years, they saw early on that I loved figuring out how stuff worked, and if something was not working, I was fascinated by it and intent on making it work again.

But I'm pretty sure my "laying on of hands" won't fix your radio!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
The FM band is not very sensitive to antenna length. Most FM radios will work with no antenna.
Not quite true. My power antenna has to be up at least 6 inches to get any FM reception... no matter how close it is. And the radio is only a year old Kenwood with AM, FM, CD and USB plug. Antenna all the way down and nothing comes in on AM or FM. Even the portable radio I have has to have the antenna up and extended to get any FM station. Same goes for the AM side.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.