Old 10-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wipers park in wrong position

Ok I got my wipers "working" in the sense that if I leave the third ground screw out of the firewall the wipers work fine but they dont park. If I turn the switch off they just stop wherever they are. If I put the bottom ground screw in they go up to the full swing position and stop and then the switch does nothing. What have I done wrong?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It needs the ground so the motor continues to the park position once you turn the switch off. There's an internal switch that shuts the power off when the wipers are in the park position.

Seems like the internal switch is out of position somehow.

George

Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 AM

As George stated the ground screw allows the wipers to park once the switch is turned off. However your problem may be mechanical rather than electrical. I have a 65 GTO that parked in the full swing position as yours does. I removed the wiper arms and the cowl grill. I removed the arm on the wiper motor and turned it 180 degrees. Now the wiper arms park in the proper position when the switch is turned off. I'm not saying this is your problem, but, may be something worth checking. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

stupid question but could you not just take the motor loose and reposition the linkage back to the bottom and hook it back up without having to take the cowl off and all that? Getting the wiper arms off is a bitch

Old 10-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
stupid question but could you not just take the motor loose and reposition the linkage back to the bottom and hook it back up without having to take the cowl off and all that? Getting the wiper arms off is a bitch
Just got to do whatever it takes to unbolt the arm off the back of the motor and flip it 180°.

Does your wiper arms not have something to release pressure on the spring loaded retainers? Some have a hole that you can slide a nail through when you raise the blades up off the windshield.

Have you had the wiper arm transmissions off? If the arms under them are off 180° it causes the same problem. Might take the motor loose and wiper arms off then fanagle with it to get the arm transmissions lever rotated a half a turn.

IDK clearance on the tie rods is what you have to look out for.

Good luck with which ever one it is. The motor arm or the levers on the back of the wiper arm transmissions. It's gonna be one of the two thats 180° off.

Clay