Old 05-30-2018, 09:09 PM

Default 1965 389 motor mounts

What is the best motor mounts to use for my restoration? Should I use the repo ones or look for NOS ? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks !

Old 05-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

id find a company that re-molds/casts them..the stuff on the market is Anchor, no matter what box they are in..or NOS..of course NOS is a first consideration...

there are companies that specialize in it..the ones in my 65GS are so rare, theres no replacements,, and its a given you send them in and have them fixed.....as popular as Pontiacs are..there has to be a company out there..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NOS motor mounts for a '65 would be 53 years old. Other than for a Concours restoration that will not be driven, there is no reason to use motor mounts that old. The rubber will have deteriorated badly. There are many choices of repro ones, including from our host, Ames, that are decent quality. This is a case where repro parts are your best choice.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The repo's are thinner metal & shorter in height / then OEM , some make the oil pan hit the frame etc. that is a whole other topic . Try a set & they may be ok for you . I have a set of NOS if inter.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:07 AM

I have a set of mounts from Ames that I installed in 2003 on my 65. I have had no issues with them. The oil pan clears the frame & steering linkage with room to spare. I'm just speaking from my own experience here, which was a good one, with the mounts I purchased from Ames. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Last night I saw a NOS set from Ames that sold on Ebay for $275.00.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
NOS motor mounts for a '65 would be 53 years old. Other than for a Concours restoration that will not be driven, there is no reason to use motor mounts that old. The rubber will have deteriorated badly. There are many choices of repro ones, including from our host, Ames, that are decent quality. This is a case where repro parts are your best choice.
I have two sets of NOS mounts, an older set with the 47xxxx number and a newer set, 9784960/61. The rubber on both sets is excellent with no signs of deterioration. Any NOS out there will most likely be the newer set and unless the mounts, even the very old ones were stored under adverse conditions (e.g. chemical/weather exposure) the rubber should be OK.

As chrisp noted the repops are not as beefy as the OEMs and fitment is hit or miss. Another issue I’ve read about is that some of the repops have a problem with the rubber delaminating from the mount. Not that I wouldn’t recommend repops just some observations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	484264   Click image for larger version

Name:	m2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	484265  

Old 05-31-2018, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I still need to buy mine for my 65 also. Since NOS is pretty much impossible to find, or if you find they don't want to sell or want a crazy amount for, what is the best currently available choice? I think $275 is a bit steep myself.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Delam can possibly be just as prevalent in a 50 year old NOS piece as it could in any current offering. With the emphasis on "50 year old".

Old 05-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree Chief. My beef with the current offerings is the thinner metal, and lack of alternatives. I guess it is possible the thinner metal is just as strong as the originals depending on what both were made of. I do see some people complaining of fit issues as far as the engine sitting too low also. Anyone have any good experiences with the current offerings? If so, what brand did you use? Just looking to avoid a headache before it occurs.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I agree Chief. My beef with the current offerings is the thinner metal, and lack of alternatives. I guess it is possible the thinner metal is just as strong as the originals depending on what both were made of. I do see some people complaining of fit issues as far as the engine sitting too low also. Anyone have any good experiences with the current offerings? If so, what brand did you use? Just looking to avoid a headache before it occurs.
Anchor & DEA 2255 & 2256 both are made by same Co. in India Advanced Auto $10.00 each , they may work for you.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Just out of curiosity, how much "thinner" is the steel on these repops?

Old 06-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have read thru a few posts on here about torn motor mounts from new vendors and with the power I plan to make I am gonna run a chain from the back of the drivers side head to the frame. That obviously won’t work for you concours guys but I hope it saves me some headache

Old 06-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I have read thru a few posts on here about torn motor mounts from new vendors and with the power I plan to make I am gonna run a chain from the back of the drivers side head to the frame. That obviously won’t work for you concours guys but I hope it saves me some headache
Chain will rattle. Use cable.