Old 01-30-2021, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1964 GTO door mirror

Could someone post their location of the drivers door mirror for the '64 GTO?
I researched and it seems that it was an option for '64/'65 models and I would
like someones experience with their satisfaction of where they have the mirror.
My car did not come with one. I bought a repop from this host(very good)
and want to install the item. Opinions Please!!
Thank you,

Old 01-30-2021, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First, you need to know both mirrors, left and right, are the same. The factory and dealers put them near the front of the doors. The fires picture is of factory mounting holes. This results in interference with your view due to the wing window/side window post. If you put them just a little further back, the driver's side mirror will be ok, but there is a problem with too little adjustment on the passenger side mirror to allow normal use. Here are how mine are located.

If you're only going to put the driver's side mirror on your car, I recommend you put it at least a few inches further back than mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Mirror Mount 539.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	559785   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Fenders 006.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	559786  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-30-2021, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have a factory template for driver door if needed

Old 01-30-2021, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you Dick and thank you Bob.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any clue why they were mounted so far forward? Our 64 never had a door mirror and we of course didn't put one on. Anyway, on my Chevelles, the side mirrors are mounted so that the head of the mirror is behind the wing window post. Easy to see and adjust the mirror and it gets the mirror completely out of the way of opening the wing window as far as it can go. Overall this make a lot more sense.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1MVC-008F.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	559807   Click image for larger version

Name:	finishedinteriorrear.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	559809  

Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Further rear is OK for the driver's side, but, on the passenger side, the mirror won't swivel enough to be usable. The further back the passenger mirror is, the more you need to swivel toward the driver.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Senior Chief

Default door mirror

Thanks Dick,
I'm just going to have the drivers side mirror it seems so I'll
put it where it functions and looks best .
Thanks to all for your input.
Bluesugar

Old 02-02-2021, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Further rear is OK for the driver's side, but, on the passenger side, the mirror won't swivel enough to be usable. The further back the passenger mirror is, the more you need to swivel toward the driver.
I see. In the Chevelle line (64/65 anyway) a passenger side mirror wasn't even available from the factory though dealers did put some on. The Chevelle mirror swivels far enough to make it useful on the passenger side mounted as far back as the driver's side one but the problem is it is rather small at that distance and doesn't give you much of a view. A convex mirror glass would help. I know this because I put a passenger mirror on my 65 Chevelle wagon.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, I think if you check you should discover that the driver side Outside Mirror was offered as a Factory option for the '64/'65 Chevelle in both Manual and Remote variants.

Unlike Pontiac however, Chevy did NOT offer them as individual options.

To get one, you had to get one of the "Comfort and Convenience Equipment" group options, either the "A" Package (manual) or "B" Package (remote controlled).

I'm no Chevy guy but I became aware of this while researching the '64 KC and Balt Shipping Orders (PHS docs). Since it was a Chevy document, it was helpful to me to study the '64 Chevelle option choices to help figure out the equivalent codes assigned to the various Pontiac options.

I am not aware of any Pontiac or Chevy offering the RH mirror as a Factory option in '64/'65. They were only available as Dealer Accessory packages.

My own '64 GTO did not get an outside mirror option and I chose not to add one during the resto.

Let's just say, it has made driving it "interesting".

Confirms how dependent I have become on my LH and RH outside mirrors on all my cars over the past 40+ years.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Rich, I think if you check you should discover that the driver side Outside Mirror was offered as a Factory option for the '64/'65 Chevelle in both Manual and Remote variants.

Unlike Pontiac however, Chevy did NOT offer them as individual options.

To get one, you had to get one of the "Comfort and Convenience Equipment" group options, either the "A" Package (manual) or "B" Package (remote controlled).

I'm no Chevy guy but I became aware of this while researching the '64 KC and Balt Shipping Orders (PHS docs). Since it was a Chevy document, it was helpful to me to study the '64 Chevelle option choices to help figure out the equivalent codes assigned to the various Pontiac options.

I am not aware of any Pontiac or Chevy offering the RH mirror as a Factory option in '64/'65. They were only available as Dealer Accessory packages.

My own '64 GTO did not get an outside mirror option and I chose not to add one during the resto.

Let's just say, it has made driving it "interesting".

Confirms how dependent I have become on my LH and RH outside mirrors on all my cars over the past 40+ years.
Most outside mirrors were put on Chevelles as part of one of the comfort and convenience group packages. My particular Chevelle that was the case: driver's side mirror, day/night interior mirror, glovebox light, 2-speed wiper and washer and back up lights were part of the package. Most Chevelles that were Malibus or Malibu SSs were dealer ordered with the C&C group. That left the stand alone outside mirror mostly as an option for the 300 and 300 Deluxe and many of those got one. But you are right, the stand alone outside mirror was a dealer installed option only.

It is rather weird to drive the GTO and not have an outside mirror of any kind. But that's the way it came so I'm not going to add one.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I just saw your note. Here's picture of mine, and I sent you dimensions in my PM response.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2067 small.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	560470  

Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they were mounted so far forward so you could see them through the vent window.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! That is way forward.

For '65 the head of the mirror is even with the vertical post of the vent window.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-09-2021, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know whether mine is "standard" or not, but it came that way with the car.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Most outside mirrors were put on Chevelles as part of one of the comfort and convenience group packages. My particular Chevelle that was the case: driver's side mirror, day/night interior mirror, glovebox light, 2-speed wiper and washer and back up lights were part of the package. Most Chevelles that were Malibus or Malibu SSs were dealer ordered with the C&C group. That left the stand alone outside mirror mostly as an option for the 300 and 300 Deluxe and many of those got one. But you are right, the stand alone outside mirror was a dealer installed option only.

It is rather weird to drive the GTO and not have an outside mirror of any kind. But that's the way it came so I'm not going to add one.
Hey Rich, I misread your earlier post, thought you had said Chevy didn’t offer any outside mirror option from the factory. That is what prompted me to explain the Chevy C & C package option that you already knew about. Sorry about that.

But it is true, neither Pontiac or Chevy offered a passenger side outside mirror as a factory option, dealer accessory only in ‘64/‘65.