67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front Inner Fender Well Removal

Can you remove the front inner fender well without removing the fender? I was hoping just to remove the bottom fender bolts without removing the fender. I need to get at the heater core box. thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Should be able to as long as you don't have one of the clip nuts break and start spining on you.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Default inner fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
Can you remove the front inner fender well without removing the fender? I was hoping just to remove the bottom fender bolts without removing the fender. I need to get at the heater core box. thanks
yes you can i have both of mine out now, takes some wiggling around but they'll come out

Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM

I just pulled my pass. side inner yesterday to retrofit A/C into my '69. You will need to remove the lower two bolts, the front valance bolts, the rad support tube, the stainless rocker trim, the wheels, and best to remove the blinker housings. I also loosened up the upper bolts on the rad support and cowl to allow it to twist. You will need to man handle the fender a bit and pull it out towards you to clear the inner from the fender lip. You must get the inner fender out through the wheelwell. I would tape up your upper control arm, brake caliper, frame rails and inner fender lips and rags over stuff as much as possible. They are all susceptible to scratches. I scratched my powdercoated wilwood caliper and speedtech upper slightly, which really sucked, but hardly noticeable. But it only took about 30 minutes. The wheel has to be off and easiest if you can sit on a stool with the front jacked up and work that way. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I replaced my heater core without taking the inner fender well completely out of the car. Just kinda moved it up and out of the way.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a variation to the original question, can I simply unbolt the inner fender (let it drop down on the upper control arm) and have better access to the lines, etc., from above? In other words, I don't want to remove it from the car - I just want access to stuff that's left of the engine.

I am replacing all the brake lines on my '69 and I am thinking that it'll really help me reach everything.

Thoughts?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Question Heater core access

I went another way when I had to reach the hoses on the heater core. I cut a access panel into the lower fender well about 4" by 4" right near the fender well mount location. It allowed easy access to the heater hose connections. I then cut a larger patch panel from a donor fenderwell that I had saved. I cleaned up the edges of the patch and made it square and flush to fit. It woked slick I just screwed the patch panel to the fenderwell and coated the edges with seam sealer. It looks great almost factory GM should have done this to gain access. It is of course not original but for a driver it worked great! Just trying to give another way to gain access.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter551 View Post
I went another way when I had to reach the hoses on the heater core. I cut a access panel into the lower fender well about 4" by 4" right near the fender well mount location. It allowed easy access to the heater hose connections. I then cut a larger patch panel from a donor fenderwell that I had saved. I cleaned up the edges of the patch and made it square and flush to fit. It woked slick I just screwed the patch panel to the fenderwell and coated the edges with seam sealer. It looks great almost factory GM should have done this to gain access. It is of course not original but for a driver it worked great! Just trying to give another way to gain access.
This was how most dealers and mechanics replaced blower motors on F bodies back then.