Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 PM

Question 65 GTO Console Wire Route

Does anyone have a clearer picture of how to route the wire harness for the center console on a '65 GTO? The chassis manual and restoration guide don't have a clear picture of where the harness is secured under the console. My original harness has all the clips, but I'm not sure if it attached to the transmission tunnel or the console somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is your car's console a 2 speed automatic on the floor or a 4 speed manual transmission?

Old 01-13-2021, 10:34 PM

Default 2-speed console

Mine’s a 2-speed auto.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On that car there is a wide 8 slot plug-in underneath the dash which connects to a harness that has, I think 7 wires in it. That runs behind the heater box right down to where the front floor attachment bracket. The wire bundle is flat at that point with a plastic protector wrapped and folded around it and it's trapped underneath that steel floor mount piece. (The wiring may be partially covered by the tar paper as fisher body installed that part of the wiring.) Inside of the console, there is a small harness with 3 or 4 wires in it. That wiring was used to power up the light in the bin as well as the courtesy lamp at the far end of the console. That wire has metal tang clips because it is sandwiched in-between the cast pot-metal top section and the plastic sides of the console. You have to pre-position that wiring section into the console plastic before you bolt the top chrome plated 1/2 and the base plastic together. That wire plugs into the other wire underneath the console towards the front. There is a relief cut-out in the base plastic to allow that plug to drop down to join with the other end. All of this is, of course hidden from view, when the console is installed on top of the transmission tunnel.

Use caution as there are several "pinch-points" here which could easily cut or damage the wiring if you do not have it routed correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965-1967 Console wiring.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	558411  

Old 01-14-2021, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

As Pete mentioned the console harness is sandwiched between the base and the top of the console. The Factory console harness had plastic retaining plugs/clips that were taped to/with the harness.
These would be pushed/plugged into the holes next to the shifter location of the base. See RED CIRCLES. This helped prevent wire pinch and/or shifter interference.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:42 PM

Default You guys are awesome.

Thanks for the pics and instructions. That really clears things up.