Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 AM
Senior Chief

Lower door panels are correct if a late season car. My May 71 car has this style - standard interior.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:27 PM

following aren't correct for a '71: 73+ Rally wheels, dash bezel, front door armrests, alternator, master cylinder, fan shroud, fenders, driver side inner fender. That's based on a quick look through the pics - I'm sure there's more.

I am no expert but whats wrong with the rally wheels, the dash bezel, alternator and front door arm rests? I have a 71 that has the same features?
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
It goes across the carpet this Saturday
Could probably even hit 80k , that's a damm hard combination to find with White Deluxe and that equipment, plus #'s Drivetrain, and full deep restoration.
All in one car

the little things just get smaller when the rest of it looks that good.
Beautiful Beautiful Car

Almost worth robbing a bank
It ain’t gonna do 80k. It’s gonna pull over 90.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard White or Ivory was only available in deluxe for F bodies?

Old 01-12-2021, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
DanaMecum will probably be in the hunt for it too.
She's a real beauty - but i ain't a bank robber ... yet

That Blue 71 LS6 StingrayVertible could make a man do strange things though.
Some real killers this year in KissMe FL

Old 01-12-2021, 11:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rally wheels, front fenders. dash bezel and master cylinder....are all replacement parts from later years....

They are similar to original......but not close enough...for the crowd here...

Old 01-13-2021, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what I saw:
- The original wheels are the special wheels used from 70-72. They have 14" centers welded onto a unique outer rim. These run anywhere from $2500 - 3000 for a full set.
- The fenders have the raised pad over top of the wheel that is used for the brace to the core support on 73 and up. The 70-72 fenders are extremely hard to find and expensive. It also makes me wonder if it has the correct 70-72 inner fenders.
- The photos leave out the radiator support. The 73 and up radiator supports had recesses for the fender braces.
- The dash bezel for the early cars is different from the later. The Radial Tuned Suspension emblem is a giveaway.

It seems a shame to do such a nice restoration and not go a little further and hunt down the original parts.

I have a friend looking for a blue car with white interior. I told him he should look at this one, especially since it is already done.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:14 PM
Senior Chief

The above mentioned items. Wrinkles in seat covers. Poor paint in jambs. Rocker pinch-welds mia, looks odd. I would have to see it in person before going more than 30k. I know a guy that bought a 72 4-5 years ago, paid 36-8k if memory serves. Probably has 85-100 in it now. This car reminds me a lot of his.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've read in past magazine articles that Herb Adams was instrumental in saving the Trans am from being discontinued. Not 100% sure if it was only the trans am car or the whole F body program but his efforts in around 1973-74 saved that car. Also what helped a ton was Chrysler division getting out of the pony car market by canceling the Cuda, Challanger platform after 1974. At the time I do not think anyone could have predicted how popular and what a $ maker the trans am would become for Pontiac in the later 1970s.

I think that is why a bunch of the details from the early '70s cars are different.

The car came very close to ending. You guys really know your stuff when it comes to the parts for these cars and how hard some of the original 1971-1972 parts are to find today. I was shocked at how much just a real set of '71 trans am rally IIs wheels are for that car now. I knew those were hard to find but they have really gone up in the past 10-15 years. I remember those being in the $1,000- $1,200 range for a set of 4 but that was back in the olden days of Carlisle. Spring/Fall. Now they have a swap meet or a car show there almost every weekend all summer long!

Even for a car this nice in restoration they ended up (for what reason, who knows; weather or not it was a case of hurry-up time or the $ or they just could not find those original parts, in good condition; anywhere at any price) later model parts on what looks like a very nicely done car. To re-do the car using all of the right stuff could easily cost $10,000 or $20,000 or more on top of what it's going to take to win the car on the bidding. That or you could just drive the car and enjoy it for what it is.

One thing that struck me as odd, which no one here has mentioned is the shifter stick on this car is from a 1979 or a 1981 Trans Am.

A '71 with a console should have the taller chrome stick.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 PM

Saw this car in person, color looks off. Nice 72 formula looks great, but this car and the other early TA with t tops don’t resemble Lucerne Blue well up close. Radiator support is 73 style. Cheap generic horns...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poncho Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dave View Post
Saw this car in person, color looks off. Nice 72 formula looks great, but this car and the other early TA with t tops don’t resemble Lucerne Blue well up close. Radiator support is 73 style. Cheap generic horns...
It doesn't really look right in the pictures, either... but I always reserve judgment with photos on computers. No substitute for seeing them in the flesh.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-14-2021, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't sound 80 or 90 anymore.

Still might get in the 70 range just with the excitement / enticement.
Going to take 2 or 3 unstudied bidders to get it much past 60 range.

The shill factors can create things too

Would still probably do close to 80 on Bring-A-Trailer
No physical prying eyes to complicate the unseens and untolds

Have been told by some prying eyes, there are a couple/few more details that we haven't caught yet.
But you guys have flushed out most all of them.
The color issue .... ouch . ouch again

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 01-14-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

I'm sure there are a couple/few more. The front end will have to come off to seam seal the firewall, unless you don't mind wet carpet. I could go on but like I said before 30k or so and whatever it cost to re-do everything, then you've got an 80-100k car. Of course that's about what you'll have in it, unless you do all the work yourself. I'd be in at 30k and drive the heck out of it for a year or two and sell it, break even or small profit. Just too many things seen and scarier yet unseen for big money.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So apparently there is a PHS on it..

If so...has anybody seen it....and how close does it match the subject?

Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 PM

The more you look, the worse it gets. Paint is bubbling on trunk lid where spoiler comes in contact. The stickers are some sort of vinyl wrap experiment gone wrong. No fading and they are splitting all over. I’d be shocked if it went over 30.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good fekking gracious wtF
lol

Chuck must have meant it will pull over 90 gigs on the score sheet at T/A Nats

Quote:

Old 01-15-2021, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
good fekking gracious wtF
lol

Chuck must have meant it will pull over 90 gigs on the score sheet at T/A Nats
Well I have not seen it but we will see what happens tomorrow. Even if it’s a disaster it will still be closer to 90 than 30.

The Following User Says Thank You to weranc55 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its just a shame that it isnt on par or a close category with the LB 72 Formula 400 car.
Would have pulled the Big Money
If it hits 50 they had a good/great day .

With the pics leading internet bidders into dreamland, anything could happen.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I figure some Ford Chevvy or Dodge guy will buy it.....and his "happy bubble"...will get burst.....when he takes it to a hardcore Pontiac meet...

The Following User Says Thank You to Green Hornet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

85K.....mildly surprised but not shocked. What I am surprised at is people here saying 30K....it is not 2011 anymore guys. Lucy blue 4-speed with white deluxe interior and AC? Yeah, find another one.

Last edited by starlightblack; 01-16-2021 at 11:53 AM.