Old 11-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Jacking up the car 4 feet to match all the idiotic trucks around here...

If that is your "garage", well not too many things make me jealous but this is close. Nice!

Old 11-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no, it is part of my shop/business - so I cannot have the car cluttering up the works for too long.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

I need to address the front suspension , limiting travel etc.
Next is dealing with pulley alignment ..blowing belts off occasionally.
Main one is figuring out my issue with my race carb , shaker has it hopefully the issue can be buried in the spring. He’s been patient with me.. Good success with it but gotta be on my end.
Don’t want a repeat carb fire on the line again at Norwalk.....

Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Does getting a car running for the first time in four years count as an upgrade?..... asking for a friend
Yes it does my friend...lol Does it have E-heads ?

Old 11-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
I did all that but took longer than a winter..lol
Can't wait until it's done. I've done all the work myself, except the final welds, I just tacked everything in place. It's been 2 months so far, hopefully it will be back together in 2-3 weeks.

www.lancablingsolutions.com
Old 11-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a lot to do in the "off-season" this year--actually the temps are still around 80 in the day here. I blew an O-ring (at least) in my driver-side head at Pontiac Heaven on my first full pass. I have no compression in cylinder 3 (1 and 5 OK), so I have to pull the engine to begin the process of seeing what needs fixing.

In the mean time, I'm upgrading the cooling system: new aluminum Scirocco radiator with a filler neck to replace the old plastic one and I'm adding a coolant recovery tank between the radiator and the overflow tank, so I don't need to keep adding water after every pass.

Also, I may give in and have Ellen tow the car with our Silverado, at least back to the pits after a pass, instead of driving it everywhere.

I have an intermittent starter issue that came up in the lanes at Phoenix and I need to get that sorted.

After the issues at Pontiac Heaven, I gave some thought to the future and made a commitment to continue running the car at least until I'm eighty (only a little over three years away), Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. I would like to move up that seven-second Pontiac door car list.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 11-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
I've got a lot to do in the "off-season" this year--actually the temps are still around 80 in the day here. I blew an O-ring (at least) in my driver-side head at Pontiac Heaven on my first full pass. I have no compression in cylinder 3 (1 and 5 OK), so I have to pull the engine to begin the process of seeing what needs fixing.

In the mean time, I'm upgrading the cooling system: new aluminum Scirocco radiator with a filler neck to replace the old plastic one and I'm adding a coolant recovery tank between the radiator and the overflow tank, so I don't need to keep adding water after every pass.

Also, I may give in and have Ellen tow the car with our Silverado, at least back to the pits after a pass, instead of driving it everywhere.

I have an intermittent starter issue that came up in the lanes at Phoenix and I need to get that sorted.

After the issues at Pontiac Heaven, I gave some thought to the future and made a commitment to continue running the car at least until I'm eighty (only a little over three years away), Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. I would like to move up that seven-second Pontiac door car list.

Jim
Your a great inspiration to us young 59 yrs old whippersnapper... I to would like to make that list ..need a lighter safer car ..lol

Old 11-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
Your a great inspiration to us young 59 yrs old whippersnapper... I to would like to make that list ..need a lighter safer car ..lol
Mark,
What does your car weigh? I believe Jack was like 3450# when he ran a 7 with "E" heads.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Mark,
What does your car weigh? I believe Jack was like 3450# when he ran a 7 with "E" heads.

Stan
3280 Stan 3250 if I keep going to the gym I don't think nitrous could get me there Turbo is the only way..

Last edited by Mark G; 11-17-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tighten the converter back up, put a different stator in it was too loose. I am cutting and welding the crossmember to make the pan and engine removal even easier. Rebilding the turbo since it has a seal leak, adding a billet wheel while I am at it.
I had a rough year, hope this one will be better, want to go the track early spring.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im updating my wifi so i can get better streaming performance for streaming races.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Im updating my wifi so i can get better streaming performance for streaming races.
Come on Brian that's lame....

Old 11-18-2019, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Updating my wife is what's kept me away from racing for the past two years...... Oh you said wifi ...

Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
Updating my wife is what's kept me away from racing for the past two years...... Oh you said wifi ...
I speak from experience, dump the wife for parts.
EXCEPT..: if she buys the parts for you.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 11-18-2019, 11:35 AM

In my experience it is much cheaper to upgrade a Pontiac than a wife at my age. These updated wives are entitled little things.
You know how many parts I can buy with a 1 carrot ring lol. Mr Kauffman has been very disappointed in my contributions after the new wife. Lol!

I asked him for a marriage discount and he just laughed. I was very serious though!

Old 11-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try and make some progress on my 1 year (now 7) 25.4 chassis upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58413328677__36E7E890-105F-4584-BB70-C4F4583D6B16.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	524724  

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 11-18-2019, 03:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Taking out roll bar and installing moly cage so maybe next year I can build me a bigger engine, but not done racing this year yet.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Jim
Maybe try a solid head like KRE's Solid Cast Aluminum HP head!
I run a IMI starter on my engine.

GTO George

Old 11-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Senior Chief

I'm not sure how much of this I'll get done, but I'll list it in the order I anticipate doing it in:
Send the 3 Rochester 2bbl carbs to Dick Boneske for him to make magic.
Remove factory radiator.
Install Wraptor serpentine belt, pulley, and accessories system.
Install Cold Case aluminum radiator.
Install replacement Quick Performance Ford based 9" rear axle housing, swap over axles and chunk from existing QP unit, install Global West coilover conversion kit.
Install Dakota Digital Rally gauge set and Vintage Air AC system.
Install TKO600 5 speed to replace Muncie 4 speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PONT-WRAPTOR-AC-2__42437.1522088057.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	524741  

Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Maybe try a solid head like KRE's Solid Cast Aluminum HP head!
I run a IMI starter on my engine.

GTO George
GTO George,
Don't think you should at least wait until Jim gets it apart and sees what is wrong before you have him changing heads?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm