THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Is this harassment?

Every time I have a day off my idiot manager texts me with one thing or another. Today I find out the tailgate got stolen off our delivery truck. It's a 2015 Frontier with a backup camera. I think the gate was lockable...not sure. Some how this was my fault because I'm the closing manager. We had upper management visitors yesterday and they commented that the store looked like crap. It did. Somehow this is my fault also. Then a customer picked up a special order part which was paid for and signed for. She was supposed to sign twice. News to me. He sent me multiple condescending texts like I was an idiot. I finally told him "I'm done, leave me alone"

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-26-2020, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe I wouldn’t answer company texts on days I’m not being paid to work.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempest1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 PM

You must feel you have job security.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Along those lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
I believe I wouldn’t answer company texts on days I’m not being paid to work.
That's what my wife said.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Explain please

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgenslake View Post
You must feel you have job security.
If I make a mistake, I admit it. I've been there 13 years and all my co-workers like me and like working with me. I can't say that for my boss.

― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep all of these text messages. They could prove useful IF your manager gets stupid...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-26-2020, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Harassment? Probably no. Annoying as hell? Yes, turn off your phone.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Keep all of these text messages. They could prove useful IF your manager gets stupid...
That ship done sailed.

― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Suspended

No judgement, just curious, if you know the store looks like crap, why didnt you take the initiative as a manager to fix it?

Old 02-26-2020, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remember - what your co workers think of you matters far less than what your boss thinks of you. If the boss doesn’t like you, I’d be asking around about job openings.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
No judgement, just curious, if you know the store looks like crap, why didnt you take the initiative as a manager to fix it?
Day managers and staff leave a mess behind. Me and one other person work the night shift until 9 P.M. Between the phones calls, walk in customers and having to shut down 4 registers there just isn't time. I've asked for help in the evenings, he doesn't even listen. World class narcissist. He's very book smart, piss poor leader and motivator.

― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-26-2020, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Not about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Remember - what your co workers think of you matters far less than what your boss thinks of you. If the boss doesn’t like you, I’d be asking around about job openings.
He does like me. The corporate seagulls flew in yesterday, crapped all over and he's passing the blame onto the rest of the managers. He NEVER praises anybody for anything but will reprimand someone in front of everybody. You know what happens next? That person goes on the defensive and gets upset and unmotivated. He's done it to everyone here. Don't get me wrong, I DON'T want his job. It's a soul eater. At 63 I'm a little old to change jobs don't you think? Oh, we had a great assistant manager who got things done and was well liked by everyone here. He got him transferred because he viewed him as competition. Stupid huh?

― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-26-2020, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

such managers ruin great jobs huh

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer give a damn.

Your boss could use this advice.

My advice on the emails/texts when you're not on the clock...if they directly involve the running of the business or your work schedule, something like that, provided they weren't excessive I would entertain responding to them. Otherwise I'd ignore them (and save them). If they are chastising in nature and could lead to disciplinary action (which chastising comments like this often do), I would ignore them entirely, and address them the following day when on the clock.

The next time your boss makes an attempt to "dress you down" in front of customers or staff, I'd politely ask him on the spot if you could see him in private. If he refuses, I'd take it over his head and contact HR as well as labor relations within the company. It's highly unprofessional for any manager to "dress down" an employee in presence of the customer, and in my view, equally so in front of peers or other managers.

Document the reasons why your shift can't clean up day shifts mess. Meet with your boss privately to discuss them. Tell him you don't want corporate to come through and piss all over your store either, and that it's in everyone's best interest to ensure the shop is "tidy". It should be a team effort, not an individual pointing a finger at another.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:57 AM
Senior Chief

Many modern business models have gone full bore into funding excess executive, excess management, etc. personnel they piss off the talent.

The talent executives, management, and producers head to good companies.

This leaves some companies with an excess of hacks. They piss off the talent. The talent at all levels leave.

Examples of the hack executive and management techniques are letting the dirt bags slide, which pisses of the the talent. Then they whip the fast horse. AKA the talent. The talent either leaves or says F it, and ramps down his output to dirt bag level and does not give a crap.

Other examples of hack executive and management is when someone at a level above someone thinks they are the talent. Nope. Your ops chief may be on paper over your talent pool of researchers, surgeons, engineers, etc. Nope. They are not generating the product. They are making slides for the talent, making sure their budget requests are in, their resources are delivered, etc.

Another example is when they won’t hire anyone smarter than them, more quals than them, more experience, etc. They want to be the top dog. Their section will never be better than them. If they hire rock stars their section will shine, they be grooming replaces for when they move up.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
The Following User Says Thank You to ramairthreegto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw at one time that hourly employees were not obligated to take business calls and the such off hours and can be legally entitled to compensation for such. That being said, I would not answer his calls or texts when off duty. I was a co owner of a family business for 30+ years and I even turned my phone off on sundays just to decompress a bit. Now as a sole owner of my own business I turn it off Friday night until Monday morning.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
World class narcissist. He's very book smart, piss poor leader and motivator.
Hey! I just got fired in this situation earlier this month!

Likely nothing you can do. The guy is a jerk but what are you going to do? Corporate isn't going to intervene.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a former management employee, I look at it like this.
If you are management and on Salary, you are on the clock 24/7.
But if you are hourly, then you're off the clock when you punch out. It's up to you to take or ignore the calls.

I've been retired for two years now and still receive calls from time to time in areas of my expertise. I don't mind since it stimulates the old brain cells.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

There's studies that show most people that have job problems are due to idiot superiors, just like yours.I used to work in same situation.

Have had the best job now for 8 years.

At my previous job, that I had been at for 14 years, I got told that I did a great job,by the general manager, the day I put in my resignation notice....TOOK 14 years for him to tell me that??? Biggest bunch of monkey spankers I have ever worked for!!! Even though they treated me and others like crap, I left them on good terms. As much as I disliked working there, they did provide me a job for 14 years...

Time for you to move on!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-27-2020, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Off the clock? Never respond. In fact, get a cheap burner phone for work, and as soon as you clock out, shut the phone off.

People like that can get bent.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post: