Old 12-06-2020, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1969 GTO Convertible Body Bushings, Advice, Reviews, Availability?

Hey everyone, I'm about to start on a big project and decided to include body bushings while the engine is out. I'm not finding a lot but these seem good enough.

OPGI Rubber (with bolts)
https://www.opgi.com/chassis-suspens...gs-sb715k.html

PST Poly Bushings (no bolts)
https://p-s-t.com/i-23159816-polygra...%7Cmodel%3DGTO

I figure I'd go poly and buy the OPGI bolts so I don't have to do this for a long time and keep the body tight during acceleration.

I've read some threads, curious if there's anything extra so...

Advice, reviews, any tips what to look for etc?

Thanks

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 12-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will get various opinions on the use of poly or rubber. Some say that the rubber makes for a closer to OEM, quiet ride. Poly fans like the additional stiffness to the frame. A lot of the rubber cushions being sold are bad, crack in a few years etc, others have good luck with them. Not sure if there is a definitive answer as to who is making the best rubber pieces. Wish I knew, I'm about to need some also.

I think the bolts that come in the kits are garbage. Better off looking at AMK for good hardware, or just purchase the proper size black oxide high quality bolts from someone like McMaster-Carr.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Data, I think you own stock in McMaster Carr lol.

I bought my bolts from AMK. They have the pointed end that makes it easier to start on the blind cage nuts.
As far as the bushings are concerned, I bought mine from Inline Tube. They are the correct size and are closest to NOS that I've seen. Only time will tell if the rubber last as long as the originals, but then again I won't be around in 50 years either.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-06-2020, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been waiting for a birthday card from McMaster, but they never send one

If AMK has the correct pointy bolts, definitely the way to go. The bolts in the kits look to me like bottom of the barrel stuff that will rust solid in a few years.

Speaking of McMaster ... you could probably find high quality US made thick wall rubber tube stock and make your own bushings with UV resistant good stuff

Update: yep, just checked ... they have neoprene rubber, poly etc. in various tubes from 2" OD up with like 3/8 ID various hardness from 75A to 95A, would be a pain to figure out how to cut on a lath I think.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can't find the AMK body bushing kit, is there a part # anyone that's bought it has?

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 12-07-2020, 05:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AMK doesn't sell the bushing, just the hardware ...

Should be part number G-7951 $31

Seen here: https://www.amkproducts.com/i-kits/p...&category=Body

Excellent company, mostly US made fasteners, not the garbage a lot of other vendors sell. Everything I've gotten from them has been perfect, and easily OEM quality or better.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
AMK doesn't sell the bushing, just the hardware ...

Should be part number G-7951 $31

Seen here: https://www.amkproducts.com/i-kits/p...&category=Body

Excellent company, mostly US made fasteners, not the garbage a lot of other vendors sell. Everything I've gotten from them has been perfect, and easily OEM quality or better.
Hi dataway, do you have the number for the body bushings. I could not find them. I did find body bolts number INL13476. They look like the pointy ones too. This job is on my list too for my 69 Conv. Thanks, Marc.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Marc,
AMK does not sell the actual rubber bushings, just the hardware (bolts, nuts, washers).

Inline seems to get most of their hardware from AMK, might be able to get it cheaper straight from AMK.

Our host https://secure.amesperf.com/index.html lists a bushing set for hardtops, don't see one for convertibles.

Maybe a convertible guy will chime in and help out with a part number.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OnEbay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-72-GTO-L...4AAOSwtq1fKZnq

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have been buying "68-72" GM A-body body bushing sets for the last 34 years. In the late '80's also tracked down & bought a bunch of NOS GM body bushings for my own cars.

As far as reproduction body bushings, the best sets I've purchased til up to a few years ago were sets Performance Years put together in the early 90's. All of the "dummy" cushions (solid cushions) were GM & marked CHEVROLET around the perimeter. These dummy bushings were the same durometer of rubber as originals. During the '90's & early 00's pulled a TON of A-body partscars off their frames. Ended up with over 2 buckets of nice used dummy bushings & every once in while, a nice used upper cushion/lower cushion mount (there are different heights/designs). In the late 90's, two of my customers insisted in installation of pst poly bushings in their late '70's TransAms. Both properly installed sets made a lot of noise, ESP when right above idling & pulling into raised driveways. Ended up pulling both sets out & threw them on eBay.

In the early '00's installed a "rubber" set from Classic Industries in a '69 Chevelle convert I was doing a ton of work on. The bushings were run of the mill, generic, my customer ordered them, & in my opinion they were too rock hard. That style of '68-72 body bushing is what I've seen repeatedly for at least 15 years. A few years ago, a line of body bushings came out from "Resto Parts" the lower cushions on these all are extremely thin where they interlock into the upper cushion. A good friend & customer bought a hardtop set about 16 months ago. The box may say "Quality Reproductions since 1982" but in my opinion, compared to the best reproduction body bushings available today, the "Resto Parts" version are garbage. A bunch are sold because they are cheaper & many end up on corner cutting flip builds.

About 3 years ago, I noted Inline Tube had come out with their own versions of '68-72 A-body bushings. Not only ones for Pontiac A-body's & '69-72 GrandPrixs but an Oldsmobile version for Cutlasses & 442's (they are diffrent). Since then I've bought a convertible set & quite a few loose upper & lower cushions of this style. Am about to order more, hoping Inline Tube has another big sale like last Christmas... Anyone know?

Anyway, the "Resto Parts" line, that I'm avoiding has part # SBO 615 Kit on the box.

The best repro '68-72 "convert" bushings are INL 12646 for '68-72 Pontiac A-body converts & wagons $139 a set normal retail. These can also be used under 2 door hardtops & 2 door Coupes that have been converted to having an inner front bolt in cushion instead of a dummy cushion.

the high quality 2 door hardtop, Coupe, & GP set is INL 12645 $119 for 24 pieces.

For factory style '68-72 mounting bolts, Inline Tube began offering a factory style flanged bolt in two different lengths. On '71's & 72's there are actually 3 different length bolts holding the upper cushion/lower cushion mounts in. The shortest goes in the position aft of the front seat belt retractors. the longest goes on the back corner. I still have nearly a 5 gallon bucket full of nice clean used original bolts from southwest partscars & will be replating more for upcoming projects.

Last if you are restoring a '72 Pontiac A-body 2 door hardtop or 2 door Coupe, there is a good chance there are 3 dummy cushions, one after another on each side before you get to the back corner mounts. This was the case on the rustfree 4032 mile original '72 Lux LeMans hardtop that I'd used for some time as a mid year '72 Pontiac plant "example car". Finally processed it for parts in this last Sept, most of its original body bushings are in phenomenal shape & are being repurposed.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 12-07-2020 at 07:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 08:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Marc,
AMK does not sell the actual rubber bushings, just the hardware (bolts, nuts, washers).

Inline seems to get most of their hardware from AMK, might be able to get it cheaper straight from AMK.

Our host https://secure.amesperf.com/index.html lists a bushing set for hardtops, don't see one for convertibles.

Maybe a convertible guy will chime in and help out with a part number.
I thought you were getting the body bushings from Inline, and had the number. OG68 put the Inline number out there. I try to buy from our host and mostly do. I am trying to get some info before I try and change them. Does anyone try and soak the bolts before trying them. I feel if I spray them the stuff will drip straight down and not help. I have a feeling the bolts are going to break. Thanks, Marc.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I initially bought from our host. Disappointing is the best I can say about them. Returned them and bought the Inline Tube bushings.

Having a inland California car has it advantages including rust free bushing bolts. After 50 years mine came out without problem. I probably could have reused them but didn't want to go through the hassle of replating.
But, for those elsewhere I can only suggest to take it easy removing the bolts, A long 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet works best and very slowly working the bolt back and forth to break the rust without it building up on the threads. Some the bolts are accessible and you can begin prelubing a week or so in advance. Some people drill small holes over the hidden cage nuts to insert a lubrication wand.

If not a frame off, loosen all the bolts but remove one side at a time to replace the bushings. Don't forget to disconnect the steering column, clutch linkage among other things and remove the underhood ground straps. You should replace the core (radiator support) bushings at the same time. They are extra and are usually not included with the frame bushings. Don't be surprised to find the core support rusted through under the bushings, especially under the battery. Even California cars have that problem.

Do a search for more info, there's plenty of it.

And one more thing, check your steering box mounting bolts before ordering your bushing bolts from AMK. On both of my A body cars the two lower bolts were all but corroded through. This is because the very small drain hole in that area of the frame plugs up easy, collects water, dirt and other stuff leading to corrosion. If your's are corroded, order new ones along with the bushing bolts.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 12-07-2020 at 11:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks everyone, got the PST poly body bushings and AMK bolts. Hopefully this will be a great combo with little issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GOAT8U2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The thanks is for following up with your original post ... doesn't happen often enough here

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The thanks is for following up with your original post ... doesn't happen often enough here
Yep!

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT8U2 View Post
Thanks everyone, got the PST poly body bushings and AMK bolts. Hopefully this will be a great combo with little issue.
Yep...I opted for the same. Let us know what you think, as my car is mid-restoration.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Senior Chief

Good timing on a great topic. I am at this stage as well... when I bought my ‘vert back in 2005, it came with a few boxes of parts. A bag of new body bushings with the washers and donuts. Not sure of the make but probably better quality than stuff is made today. I had to assemble the car quickly 5 years ago as we were moving and the more assembled, the better the flatbed ride.
Finally getting back to this car a few months ago, I pull the body back off to do some finish work....I find a donut bushing looking like this... never in any weather, ever...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB7D65DA-84C3-4E42-A88C-3C71665B243F.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	556080  

Old 12-13-2020, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

So I find some neoprene around our shop and make 10 of these.... I plan to install all today and will share a bit more...I made some aluminum washers to improve the contact area compared to the washers that came in the ‘kit’
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF80B30C-D65A-456D-8F1F-A41C4590FC8C.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	556084   Click image for larger version

Name:	9ADF3E9D-50A6-4854-A044-4F83792A8C74.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	556087  

Old 12-14-2020, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just going through my parts and looked at the bushings I had bought and installed about 30 years ago ... car was never driven with them, but did spend a good amount of time outside ... they look great, almost new, no cracking at all. Possible that 30 years ago they were made of better materials? They came from Ames originally.

BTW ... they were to replace a set of solid aluminum spacers I was using ... yikes.

Let us know how the neoprene works out ... I noticed I could order neoprene and other material tubes the right OD and wall thickness to make my own, was thinking about it. Good US made materials.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I took the lower valence off my '68 this weekend to tweak the fender and hood alignment. Thought about this thread because my radiator support bushings look very much like the photo iceman posted.
The car has been babied for the most part and the bushings were replaced during restoration 10~11 years ago.