Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Jeep Cherokee or Dodge D150?

So living in the mountains I'm finding getting around in the rain and plant matter is difficult for my 2WD long bed truck - gotten stuck in my driveway 3 times in the rain plus it cuts loose on turns in a scary way if I don't have 1000lbs over the rear axle. So I'm thinking a cheap 4WD or AWD for those situations, especially since it does occasionally snow up here and the last thing I want to do is get stranded. A mechanic buddy of mine is clearing out his collection of "free" cars and has shown me 2 he has: a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1985 D150 4WD. Both are v8s, the Jeep has some timing cover leaks and valve cover leaks he will fix and the D150 is a manual trans and was a runner and driver a "while ago" per the guy he got it from. Both are in the 200k+ mile range and while neither are super nice, neither are trashed and rust isn't an issue (California cars). Assuming the price is cheap enough for either (it is) which would be the better recommendation for winter-ish driving in the mountains? I'm leaning towards the JGC but wanted to get some opinions.

And before the talk of "4WD won't save you, woman driver!" and "we drove our RAIV Judges with manual drums\brakes in the ice and LIKED IT back when the men were men and the women were too" starts I completely understand that and am not expecting to fly on the freeway or whip around curves in bad weather checking my makeup while texting on my cell phone. But when I'm going downhill at 25MPH and the truck rear breaks free and starts sliding towards the edge of the road and only quick response on the steering kept it from going over, I'd rather have a little extra control when needed - plus the ability to get up and down hills that the truck is having trouble with. Not to mention it'll save miles on the F250 and be easier to park in town.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A LWB 2WD can get stuck on a wet lawn. My old SWB Dodge was great in the snow... That Jeep is likely more collectable, the Dodge has stronger axles. and more durable.
But you already have a truck so the Jeep may be a nice addition . It will get better fuel mileage too.
Nice problem to have

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-25-2020, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get the Jeep! Parts are cheap and they aren't too hard to work on. With the back seat removed on my 95 I carried a full size washing machine. Not to mention a roof rack. That 318 is one of the best engines Dodge ever made.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-25-2020, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a 85 W150 great truck. Go with the Dodge.

TOM