THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
My 65 GTO hardtop came with a four speed, 389 four barrel, power steering, power brakes, and a 3.23 safe-t-track. I'm pretty sure that's about as common a configuration as you can get for that year. Teal turquoise with an aqua interior, so it even has a popular color combo.

There are probably many more like mine! But this was my first car. There's no other car in the world that compares to it. My brother puked on me in this car, my dog jumped out of the window while I was driving it 35 mph, I used to street race it here and there, visited my grandfather in it many times, you name it. Wouldn't trade it for the rarest car in the world!
Great Combo! IMHO ;-)
Here's my friend's '65 in that exact configuration.
He bought it new and it has never been restored.
When I first met him in 1997-8 with my restored '66 his paint made mine look bad

Old 01-13-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
That might have been a typo
Seems like it was closer to 33%
lol
You May be correct. My memory is not as good as it once was.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i think the biggest things that make a car unique is drivetrain,,exterior color and hard top or convertible.Most all of the other stuff is really nit picking and gets ridiculous.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
i think the biggest things that make a car unique is drivetrain,,exterior color and hard top or convertible.Most all of the other stuff is really nit picking and gets ridiculous.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morgan Freeman.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	558299  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Great Combo! IMHO ;-)
Here's my friend's '65 in that exact configuration.
He bought it new and it has never been restored.
When I first met him in 1997-8 with my restored '66 his paint made mine look bad
Gorgeous cars. I really like the early cars in the teal/aqua variants. More generally, it seems like certain colors really go with certain years/models. Like a Verdoro green 68, or an iris mist early GTO. I really prefer those colors to something like a red, white, or black that was available every year.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Each year a book that covers the auto & truck industry production, prices, which factories made how many cars, etc. was published called Ward's Automotive Yearbook.

The book provides certain options by percentages. It generally covers the "Tempest" model to include the GTO, but sometimes you will see GTO specific.
- -
I don't have one for 1965, but here is a partial example for 1967 Tempest Models just to get an idea: Auto trans - 76.9%(98.8% full sized), 4-speed - 13.6% (0.5% full sized), V8- 78.5%, 6 Cyl - 21.5%, AC - 27.5%, front disc brakes - 2.4%(1.7% full sized), bucket seats - 56.1%(9.2% full sized), tilt - 1.9%, duel exhaust - 29%(11.8% full sized), limited slip - 16% (9.6% full sized), speed warning speedo - 1.5%(5.2% full sized).

I have another book on Pontiacs which says 18.8% of 1965 Tempest models (includes GTO) had a 4-speed.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
I don't have one for 1965, but here is a partial example for 1967 Tempest Models just to get an idea: Auto trans - 76.9%(98.8% full sized), 4-speed - 13.6% (0.5% full sized), V8- 78.5%, 6 Cyl - 21.5%, AC - 27.5%, front disc brakes - 2.4%(1.7% full sized), bucket seats - 56.1%(9.2% full sized), tilt - 1.9%, duel exhaust - 29%(11.8% full sized), limited slip - 16% (9.6% full sized), speed warning speedo - 1.5%(5.2% full sized)
I knew that a tilt wheel on my '64 GTO was rare. I didn't realize how rare.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ, I also have factory Tilt Wheel and consider it the most unique option on my own '64. Comparing yours and mine, I was struck by how similar yours is. And yet, by the same token, they are unique from each other.

1. Base 4 bbl engine - Same with mine.
2. Optional 4spd - Same with mine.
3. 3.23 gears - Same with mine.
4. Safe-T-Track - Mine built with base content Open Diff.
5. Cameo Ivory - Mine is Pinehurst Green.
6. White convertible top - Same with mine.
7. Black interior - Same with mine.
8. Power steering - Same with mine.
9. Manual brakes - Same with mine.
10. Console - Same with mine.
11. Factory tach - Mine didn't get this or the Clock option.
12. Poverty caps - Mine got the optional Custom (spinner) Wheel Covers.

Not sure what other equipment your GTO included but in addition, mine included:

13. Whitewalls
14. Deluxe Pushbutton AM Radio with fender mount Manual Antenna
15. Tinted Glass, All Windows

Mine was built and first retailed in California but because it was a late Nov build, it did NOT include the Closed Circuit PCV System, mandatory in Calif after Dec '63. It was also built without Seat Belts which became standard (albeit deletable from that point by order option for an $11 credit, but very rarely deleted) content after Dec '63.

Take note, mine also did not have an optional Outside Rearview Mirror, neither the manual or the remote version.

As examples of differences created by running changes, mine has the early taillight lenses with the reflectors at the ends vs. the later lenses with the center reflectors and mine has the early twin V belt setup with PS vs. the later setup that used separate belts to drive the Alt and PS pump.

This post probably qualifies as a hijack but meant to illustrate how difficult it is to find any 2 builds that don't differ in fairly significant ways.

I agree with scott70 for the most part. But with respect to '64 GTO builds, I would contend that certain builds were much more unique from all others having nothing to do with drivetrain, body style, or exterior color.

Some of the really unique builds, IMO, include a '64 GTO that was built by Special Order request with the standard Tempest Hood (no hood scoops), a couple that were built by Special Order request with Bench Front Seat in lieu of the standard Lemans Bucket Seat interior trim, and one that was built with Parchment interior trim but with Special Order request to include Red appointments.

These Special Order requests made for about as "custom" a factory build as you could hope to have in '64.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a general comment, not directed at any of the posters in this topic, but it made me pause and think.
Today my painter made the following comment, and it rings true so often.
"You don't find a horse turd in the road very often, so that is rare. Just because it's rare doesn't mean everyone wants it."

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Just a general comment, not directed at any of the posters in this topic, but it made me pause and think.
Today my painter made the following comment, and it rings true so often.
"You don't find a horse turd in the road very often, so that is rare. Just because it's rare doesn't mean everyone wants it."
Hmmmm. I guess that would be like saying a gal with a pair of 52GGG's up top isn't common, so they are rare. Just because they are rare doesn't mean every guy wants them.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hmmmm. I guess that would be like saying a gal with a pair of 52GGG's up top isn't common, so they are rare. Just because they are rare doesn't mean every guy wants them.
i always thought that girl from total recall with three of them was pretty exciting. but then again, i have three hands.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Pictures would help.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Not sure what other equipment your GTO included but in addition, mine included:

13. Whitewalls
14. Deluxe Pushbutton AM Radio with fender mount Manual Antenna
15. Tinted Glass, All Windows
Mine also came with those 3 items.

Quote:
Mine was built and first retailed in California
Mine was built in KC

Quote:
Take note, mine also did not have an optional Outside Rearview Mirror, neither the manual or the remote version.
Mine has the outside (manual) rearview mirror.

I would think your Pinehurst Green is rarer than Cameo Ivory.

Our cars are remarkably similar, yet both are unique.

As I posted earlier, I really don't care if my car is "1 of 1" or "1 of 1,000". It's mine and I'm glad it is...

Old 01-16-2021, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ford has the Marti report. Kevin Marti runs it. They can get pretty detailed, such as how many were built with any combination of options, color, drivetrain, etc. I've seen some that did list a car as 1 of 1 built that way.
But for the most part, that detailed information and about 2 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee in most any restaurant.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I would think your Pinehurst Green is rarer than Cameo Ivory.
I would agree with that. My first and only other '64 GTO convertible was purchased in 1973 from the original owner, a dentist in Philadelphia. Unfortunately I don't know the VIN so never got PHS on it. But it was unmodified from all indications so I believe was factory built just as it appeared when I bought it.

It was Cameo Ivory with White Top but Dark Blue interior.

Base 4 bbl and base 3 spd on the floor. Safe-T-Track, undoubtedly 3.23 gears. Manual Outside Mirror, Deluxe Pushbutton AM Radio with Manual Antenna, 2 spd Wipers w/ Washers, Back-up Lights. PS, early build with the twin V-belt setup. Deluxe Wheel Covers. It had front seat belts in it when I bought it but I have no way of knowing if they were factory or aftermarket. They had metal buckles like the optional Custom Seat Belts but I'm guessing not factory. No idea if it had Red Lines or Whitewalls originally. I can't say if it had tinted windshield, all glass, or neither. Chances are it came out of Baltimore but without the VIN, I'm just guessing. If it had any other non-obvious options like HD Shocks, I would have needed to see the PHS to know. But given the relative scarcity of options, I'd guess not.

With the twin V-belts and the likelihood that it lacked factory seat belts, I believe it would have been built prior to January. Again, just guessing. But if I had access to PHS records, I bet I could find the VIN record for it. And I'm confident enough that it, too, was a 1 of 1 build so that if I found a record matching what I do remember of the build and where sold (Philly), I would be certain that the record would be of my GTO and not some other that was identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
As I posted earlier, I really don't care if my car is "1 of 1" or "1 of 1,000". It's mine and I'm glad it is...
Except that I would love to have the PHS record for my former GTO and knowing it would be identifiable because it is "1 of 1", I totally agree with you.

Truthfully, I wish everybody loved the '64 GTO as much as I do and wish everybody owned one. Sharing a passion for it with others of like mind makes it more fun for me.