Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Default Harrison radiator question- value?

I also posted this in the Heating-Cooling section.
I have a Harrison 3 core copper brass radiator that came with my 65 GTO when I bought it in 1991. The codes are CDA for the top tank and DL for the bottom. It's in good shape with no leaks. I replaced it with an aluminum unit awhile back and I am now considering giving the Harrison unit to a friend for his engine test stand. Before I give it away can someone tell me if this is numbers matching to a 65 GTO and/or what the approximate value is? -thanks

Old 02-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

I don't believe the embossed stampings on the upper and lower tanks will be helpful in identifying this radiator's identification. What is important are the dimensions, ie. location of the filler neck, the inlet and outlet, and drain cock. If your radiator still retains the metal identification tag, this would be helpful in verifying the radiator's use. This tag is clipped to the back side (facing engine) of the flange of the upper tank, but are easily knocked off during the life of the car. The presence of this tag may add up to $100 to the value of the radiator. The radiator may also have received a white ink identification stamping on the back side of the upper tank. This ink stamping may be hidden under the black paint. This may not be the best determination for originality as I believe these stamps are reproduced and are often seen at shows.
Even with no leaks, it would be prudent to re-core this 54 year old radiator. Cost to re-core and paint would be about $400 - $500. When separated from the core, dents in the tanks can be easily removed. Essentially you are marketing the lower and upper tanks. My guess, and only a guess, is that the tanks may be worth $200, although I have paid less. To the right person, the tanks could bring more.
If this had been for a 1964 GTO radiator I would be able to give you the dimensions I referred to above. Someone familiar with the 1965 radiators will have to give you these dimensions for yours.

I have included a couple of photos of the metal tag. Bare in mind that this tag is from a 1964 3 core, manually shifted car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Radiator Tag 004.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	504935   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Radiator Tag 003.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	504936  

Old 02-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Suspended

You are asking for a crap shoot without photos. What appears good to you may be junk or what may be junk to you might be a nice usable piece. Way too many variables here. Has it been recored? Has it had tubes cut? Has it had any repairs? What is the condition of the tanks? Stick? Automatic? And on, and on, and on. It could be anywhere from 50 bucks if you are lucky to $300.00 or $400.00.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Chief- I submitted some pics in the Heating-Cooling section, which has the same post. If it's only worth 100-200 I will give it to my friend for his engine stand.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by neasb View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Chief- I submitted some pics in the Heating-Cooling section, which has the same post. If it's only worth 100-200 I will give it to my friend for his engine stand.
You are in the ballpark. If the inside is as clean as the outside its certainly worth more than 100 but you would be a little hard pressed to get 225. If I had that I would have a 175 tag on it and take 140 and above.

I never had an issue using used radiators but people today are weird and will be leary about a used radiator no matter how clean it is. Your radiator I would have no problem at all using. Just give it a fresh coat of paint and install.

BTW: That will fit a '64-'66 4bbl automatic car.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Again- thanks for all of your help. Change of plans. Since my other buddy has a bunch of radiators laying around that he was planning to take to the scrap yard, we'll use one of his for the engine test stand.