Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-21-2018, 02:51 AM

Default 65 Tempest 326 - No Start

So I finally hit the point of turning the key, which hadn’t been done in 25 years. The car has sat in my dads garage the whole time like a time capsule, covered in dust.

Fast forwards to tonight after 2 year journey. New brakes in rear, all new lines, power disc conversion up front, gas tank boiled, radiator boiled and core replaced, all new fluid front to rear, cylinders inspected, oiled and spun a ton of times to make sure everything spun freely. Put new battery in, few gallons of fuel and it was time to wake the neighborhood up. But it just didn’t fire. Got no spark.

Got power to both side of coil but it’s not flashing when cranking it over. Pulled cap and points are not stuck. They seem to he opening and closing fine.

Whats next guys? Do I swap a set of points? What am I missing? I know car was running when parked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26BE3C94-BF16-466D-A66F-2C0FC10EF19F.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	500660   Click image for larger version

Name:	84F609E1-5A07-4CAD-B349-9DEC100649D1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	500661  

Old 12-21-2018, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Condenser shorted to ground?

Old 12-21-2018, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have power to the coil and no spark, bad coil or condenser. Remember, only two things needed ... fuel and spark. (assuming it wasn't parked because of a slipped timing chain)

Old 12-21-2018, 05:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago, I got a no-start when I placed the distributor cap back in place and tightened it down not realizing that I'd pinched the condenser wire between the cap and the distributor body.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try checking volts at the coil + terminal with the key in RUN, and with key in START. You should have 7-9 volts in RUN, and 12v in START. That should half-split the issue to go after the coil/distributor, or the ignition switch/wiring.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Try checking volts at the coil + terminal with the key in RUN, and with key in START. You should have 7-9 volts in RUN, and 12v in START. That should half-split the issue to go after the coil/distributor, or the ignition switch/wiring.
That 7-9 volts in run would only be true with the engine running. Yours doesn't run. With the key in the run position it should be 7-9 with the points closed and 12+ volts with the points open.

Your "power to both sides of the coil" may also be a bit suspect. While turning over (either cranking or running) voltage at the - side of the coil should be rapidly changing between 12 volts (points open) and zero volts (points closed). Most analog voltmeters (with a needle) will sort of average out the reading while digital voltmeters will bounce around a lot.

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 12-21-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rake a screw driver blade between the point contacts and see if you get a spark out of the coil. 25 year old used points should have corroded some. Just some fuzzy white is enough for the points to not make ground.

Clay

PS, And do make sure the rotor button spins when you turn the engine over. Especially needs checked if it has the original timing chain and gears.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your going to want to put in new points, condenser, cap,rotor,coil,plug wires and plugs anyways more than likely every one of those are marginal if they are good at all.
As an exercise in troubleshooting i would do points and condenser first making sure at the same time the coil wire to the points is not broken or insulation flaking off and so on

Old 12-21-2018, 11:46 AM

I’m getting battery voltage on both sides of coil as I checked last night with test light but thus morning with DVOM. When cranking the voltage is dropping down into 8-9 range. No spark from plug wires or even the coil directly.

I had planned on putting all new stuff in there when I got it running, plus rebuild carb, but I didn’t want to change anything until I got the tank and lines flushed. To me changing 20 things and then it not starting would have left me more perplexed. The car ran fine when parked ( always the story but in thus case it was my dads so I know the history on the car).

Time to head to parts store for some stuff.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
I’m getting battery voltage on both sides of coil as I checked last night with test light but thus morning with DVOM. When cranking the voltage is dropping down into 8-9 range. No spark from plug wires or even the coil directly.

I had planned on putting all new stuff in there when I got it running, plus rebuild carb, but I didn’t want to change anything until I got the tank and lines flushed. To me changing 20 things and then it not starting would have left me more perplexed. The car ran fine when parked ( always the story but in thus case it was my dads so I know the history on the car).

Time to head to parts store for some stuff.
Totally agree with not just changing a bunch of parts, no matter how old they are. Too often people do this and start to run out of money before the get to the "real" problem. Based on what you said, sounds like a coil and that's where I would focus!

Old 12-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Got power to both side of coil but it’s not flashing when cranking it over. Pulled cap and points are not stuck. They seem to he opening and closing fine.
Test light would blink if coil (-) power was getting/going to ground through the points.

Clean the point contacts

Quote:
I’m getting battery voltage on both sides of coil as I checked last night with test light but thus morning with DVOM. When cranking the voltage is dropping down into 8-9 range. No spark from plug wires or even the coil directly. .
Steady 8~9 volts is probably normal voltage drop from the starter being engaged.
Digital meter should be jumping from 0 to 12 (or available voltage) while turning the engine over.

Clean the point contacts.

Raking a knife blade or screw driver between the point contacts should make the coil fire if that is the problem. If force firing doesnt work with the contacts....Check that the breaker plate is grounded good.

If the coil is good it will spark when you make then break ground.

Clay

Old 12-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can disconnect the coil completely from the car to check it. Run 12 volts with an alligator clip to the pos side. Run a wire from the neg side to ground. Put another wire or a small screwdriver or such, in the center tower. Ground and unground the neg side. Every time you unground the neg side, you should hear or see the center tower fire. If it doesn`t, the coil is shot. This rules out the points and or wires. And does rule the coil in or out.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something to keep in mind when buying new ignition or electrical parts for a 50+ year old car.

The quality of parts available for your ignition system today are a far cry from what those used to be, say 20 or 25 years ago. Points distributors have not been used in new GM cars since right around the year 1973 or 1974. Everything sold at car parts stores for any car this old is going to be made cheaper & out of thinner metal and/ or nylon or plastic.
You will often see a modern aluminum alloy; that or cheap brittle plastic used in place of what once was made from steel or self-lubricating Ivory colored nylon. You can't expect new stuff to last as long either, even if it works at all when you first put it on your car.

On an engine I built a few years ago; I had it all apart anyway. I went ahead and "bench tested" my distributor & coil set-up before I put it back (timed) onto my new engine. I set my dwell at 30 degrees while spinning the distributor using a cordless drill.

Just wanted to make double sure of a quick start up to break in my new cam.

As a side note one of the things I do look for during the summer-time at swap meets are older AC Delco bubble carded or national store brand packaged service parts "tune up kits." If you go back in time about 25 or 30 years these store tune up kits were made 100% in the USA by reputable parts companies and then packaged expressly for each store with the store's name printed right on the package.

Some people will use them (un-opened) for display but I can tell you that they are much better parts (quality) than anything you can buy today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TestingMy63LemansPoints.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	500690   Click image for larger version

Name:	TestingMy63LemansPointsB.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	500691   Click image for larger version

Name:	1958-1973 Points Tune Up Kit Kmart_Th.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	500692   Click image for larger version

Name:	0-Chevrolet Pontiac Buick Olds V8 NOS Tune-up Kit_Th.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	500693  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 12-21-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling fix.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Test light would blink if coil (-) power was getting/going to ground through the points.

Clean the point contacts

Clean the point contacts.
Thank you.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Thank you.
X3!. If you take a jumper wire and connect it to the - on coil and then scratch the other end to ground, and you have spark, the points being corroded/dirty is your issue.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:17 PM

I give up and throw in the towel. This thing has got the best of me. Put new coil, points and new condenser (after installing an old one dad had stored in trunk). I even replaced a large section of the wire from dist to coils as I was sure I found it when I closely examined it and found what I believed was a break in the wire (it was kinked and intermittently losing connectivity with ohm meter).

But Nada......no fire in the hole still.

But if I ground the coil it sparks. If I open and close the point I get spark. But cranking it over I get nothing. Rotor is spinning not that it matters as I’m not getting anything out of coil. Only thing I can think is I’m losing ground inside dist but loosened ground screw and tightened back up which didn’t help.

Might be time to call Skip White, get HEI Dist, and get this bitch running. Then I got time to get the original dist rebuilt.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I have this problem I look in my pocket for the rotor.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default no fire

what are your point gapped at? Billk

Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

coil wire.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
coil wire.
It’s new also (I had one from another vehicle) and it sparks pretty hard when grounding coil)