The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Ignition Switch Issue

Does anybody out there know how to remove an ignition lock from a 65 lemans if you don't have a key? I know you normally turn the key to accessory and use a paper clip but this car has no key. I'm trying to remove it to have a new key made. Any ideas???

Old 02-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ignition key should be the same as the door lock. Pull the door panel off & pull out a door lock & take it to the lock smith. Also the glove box should be the same as the trunk. Pull that out & take it also.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Hi
I talked to one of the locksmiths here in the PY office and he said the same thing that Keith already said. If the ignition or door locks are still original and haven't been changed, they will use the same key. So if you can get the key code off the door lock cylinder, a locksmith can cut a new key for you.

We can cut the key for you if you don't have a local smith or are interested in getting a correct looking key (NSK60 or NSK60A w/ the knockout still in place)

Steve

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have PHS and have a key code, that may work as well. I took my key codes for my '67 GP to an old Pontiac dealer in Virginia (since closed), and they made me new keys.

They had a tool that looked like a large set of pliers with a series of dials on the business end; they dialed in the key code, put in a new blank, and punched the key from scratch. Kinda cool to see.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:00 AM

Thanks to all of you. I'm pulling the door lock tomorrow and having keys made. Will let you know the outcome...

Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 PM

Keys worked great. Now I can finish preping the dash for paint..Thanks again
Dave