Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default R&R vacuum pump:96 PowerStroke ?

I think my vacuum pump on my F-250 7.3 took a crap....
All most rammed a SUV at stoplight last night !!!
The factory manual says to remove fan,shroud,upper hose, pull pulley off, then remove pump..??
Is it possible to remove pulley or mounting bolts while pump is on truck...without removing all that other stuff ???
One guy said you can reach bolts with open end wrench ???
Not a flat rate tech. any more

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 06-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will need a 10 mill wrench,you can use the boxed end.Pull all the bolts evenly to move the pump ahead as they will not clear the pulley.Unclamp the hose at the top end and take off with pump.It WILL be tricky to finagle the pump out.You WILL need a P/S pulley puller to remove and press back on.DON'T, I repeat DON'T forget to put the 3 bolts back in the pump before pressing the pulley on!If you try to hammer the pulley on I have seen the guts blown right out the arse end by doing this.I've done many of these over the yrs but on the later yrs the vacuum only controls the heater controls.Good Luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After checking a little more I see no reason to remove the fan & related stuff. Just wanted some words of experience.. It's looks like I might be able to remove pulley with my remover in place. If not I will do after removal..
Thanks for reply...
I thought pedal would get hard...not spongy..
But the dash brake warning lights came on intermitently and brakes were funky at best...used a LOT of trailer brake !! According to manual warning light only comes on for low fluid or bad vacuum..MC is full of fluid.

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mission accomplished.....I got brakes again !!!
I wondr how many guys cut the bolts off a 1/4" to make removal easier...the next time...

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thatsa Good !!