Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Drum to Disc - 65 Tempest - In-line Tube Kit

It’s been 2 long years since my dad passed and I brought home his 65 Tempest. The car has been garage kept its whole life with only 36k miles. The rear wheel cylinders were leaking so I replaced all rear brakes, hardware and axle lines, which took some tweaking to get them to fit.

I need to get the car out of the garage as I’m having the garage doors replaced so I decided that weekend I’d tackle the front disc conversion. Everything went fine until I got to removing the lower ball joint from the spindle. What a freaking nightmare that was. I ended up damaging the seal and then the threads so ended up replacing the ball joint also. Took a lot of heat and 5 lb sledge to finally get it free after 3+ hours.

Hind sight I would have opted for the Scarebird kit as the inline (or other spindle kits) are not much more than the same thing, a bracket that bolts to the spindle. I don’t have a hoist so the car is up on jack stands and replacing ball joints down on the ground is a total PITA. Not to mention the extra $$ spent on ball joints, renting tool, buying more tools to try to remove the lower joint from spindle and added aggravation.

I finished up at 1:00am last night and still have drivers side to go, plus installing booster, master and plumbing it. But it was a moral victory to at least get one side done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1E430B7-1B88-494B-8187-2A653BEDBB96.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	498639   Click image for larger version

Name:	9C116E2C-9435-4DA4-831A-9A624063AAAA.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	498640  

Old 11-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good!

Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks factory original. Very nice. Even if it is a PITA. Good job.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure that ball joint is seated since you did it on the car. It’s hard to tell and can have disastrous results. I did the set on my car when I first got it and one seated and one didn’t. Drove to the alignment shop 2 miles away and made it by the grace of god because the passenger side was in cocked and about to come out

Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Make sure that ball joint is seated since you did it on the car. It’s hard to tell and can have disastrous results. I did the set on my car when I first got it and one seated and one didn’t. Drove to the alignment shop 2 miles away and made it by the grace of god because the passenger side was in cocked and about to come out
They appear to be seated all the way around but I’m going to take a better look before I wrap it all up