Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 PM

Default Anyone put an OHC six in an early (62-65) Nova

Anybody do this? The car is currently a Chevy 6/powerglide. Thinking of buying it and would love something different than a small block Chevy.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Senior Chief

There was a gentleman from Indiana about tens years back bought some OHC parts and tranny from me. He had owned a 69 FB Sprint with the 230 HP/manual engine that he bought new. The car rusted away after years of daily use, so he junked the car and placed in engine in a tractor! Years later he inherited a early 4 door Nova. He was planning to put his Sprint in this non running Deuce but I do not know if he ever finished it.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had looked pretty hard at putting one in a 63 Tempest (probably more room than an early Nova) and it would be tight, from best I can tell the motor itself WILL fit in the engine bay, the issue for the Early Tempest is that you then have to do something with the "tunnel".

I was wanting to run the stock V8 ropeshaft behind it, and it looks like that would take up even more room as the motor sits forward further since there is no tunnel to speak of.

I would again like to thank Jeff for the diagram and measurements he supplied for the OHC, it is what I based my findings on, would still like to do it, and I am saving one of my Tempest bodies, but it will probably be far into the future.