Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OTC 7045b coil spring compressor

Hey guys, anyone have one to sell or possibly to rent out...........seems they are out of stock eveywhere.

Thanks

Rich

Old 10-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a listing of online sources that sell that spring compressor:

Sold by
NationalToolWarehouse.comOTC Tools & Equipment 7045B Front Coil Spring Compressor by National Tool Warehouse
Free shippingˇNo tax
$163.00
$163.00
Visit Site
Summit RacingOTC Tools 7045B: OTC Front Coil Spring Compressors
Free shipping
$190.99
$206.46
Visit Site
TRUCKiD.comOTC 7045B Coil Spring Compressor$183.08
$216.86
Visit Site
JBTools.comOTC 7045B Compressor, Front Coil Spring
Free shippingˇNo tax
$196.15
$196.15
Visit Site
eBayOtc Tools 7045b Front Coil Spring Compressor
Free shipping
$192.49
$204.04
Visit Site
ToolTopia.comOTC Tools (OTC7045B) Front Coil Spring Compressor # 7045B
Free shipping
$169.51
$179.68
Visit Site
Tool DiscounterOTC 7045B Front Coil Spring
No tax
$191.50
$202.46
Visit Site
Auto Body ToolmartOTC Front Coil Spring Compressor - 7045B$237.66
$280.15
Visit Site
Unique Truck Equipment Front Coil Spring Compressor
No tax
$202.55
$212.50
Visit Site

Here's the thread from a mustang site, the links didn't copy when I copied and pasted the post. You can read the post and click on the links:

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/thre...nerve.1178850/

I have an old OTC tool, probably close to 50 YO that is constructed like this tool that has done a bunch of coil springs, you might try it if you can't obtain the one you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2720...PK2131YEKKY89D

Only drawback is you have to grab the second row of coils so it doesn't end up inside of the spring pockets when you release it, and you sometimes have to pry a couple of the coils apart to remove the hooks after removing the screw from the cross pieces so they're easier to retrieve. All the double hook compressors are pretty much the same that I've used.

One piece of advice is never use an impact tool because it will make the threads roll on the screw causing it to fail, and keep them well lubricated with grease or oil.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-22-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thanks Brad, seems like everyone is out of stock of this part...........i do have the tool like you posted, i messed with it some and i cant seem to get all four hooks straight, i tried using just two hooks and go thru the shock hole on top, got the spring in but man that makes me nervous. lol

I bought a 3 ft crow bar, i can get the spring in with that, takes a few tries though.....

Still waiting for my spindles to come in so i can get this front end together.

Rich

Old 10-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As long as the new spring isn't really long in length, most cars you can just use a floor jack to compress the lower A arm. Once it's seated in the upper frame seat, and the pigtail is seated in the lower A arm, it's not likely to go anywhere but into place. I've done many with just a floor jack being used to compress them.

When the trend was to jack the front of street cars up 4-6 inches over stock is when you'd have springs that were much longer than the stock springs and have trouble getting them compressed using a floor jack. I've wrapped a chain around floor jacks axle, and over the frame of the car to get the ball joint nut on the spindle. Stock length springs go in pretty easily comparatively.

Have a respect for a compressed spring, but a 1/2 inch threaded rod is overkill for containing the energy stored in a single coil spring in a passenger car. I'm sure my old OTC compressor has easily done over 100 pairs of springs.

A 1200 lb spring used in the RF of an oval track car can be compressed to coil bind only having 1200 lbs of force. You'd never use a spring like this in a street car. A 1/2 inch piece of all thread grade 2 (lowest strength) is 7800 lbs, is 6.5 times stronger than it needs to be.

Your springs are probably around 600 lbs 13 times the strength of hardware store all thread. grade 5 is 12,000lbs, and grade 8 is 17,000 lbs. When you look at the math you're pretty safe in compressing a street spring even to coil bind, which is nowhere necessary for installation.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-23-2020, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again Brad, was wondering if you could look at my post in the street section of a stock spring or not..............i can line up the top right, but its always off on the bottom.

Cant see how they would line up properly unless the springs ends are different , like in my first pic..............

Thanks for taking the time

Rich