Old 02-11-2015, 02:30 AM

Default 1977 Pontiac Astre

I just picked up another Astre this one being a 1977 with the rear 3-piece formula spoiler and some pretty cool "duke" graphics. I am trying to track down the original owner to see if I can find out more it and the graphics that are on it. Anyone ever seen anything like it before?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice Find,

I don't beleive the graphic's are stock, either owner or dealer added. You are correct that the spoiler is from a 77 Astre Formula, but the car does not have the other external styling features to lead me to think it was built as a formula. A formula would not have the bright molding around the door glass, It would have duel Sport Mirrors, and blacked out grills and head light buckets. But after all this time things get added or taken off so who knows. A real spoiler will have 66 as an option code on the trim tag.
I have never seen that stripe package before, but with your permission I will ask the question on H-body.org maybe someone there may have seen it? But I am one of the Astre "experts" (if such a title actually means anything)
How else is it equiped? 2.5 I amassuming to match the "Duke" Grafic's. Auto or Manual? Any other options? Always gladto see anouther Astre owner on this site. I think you may bring us up to 3 or 4. What are you plans for it?

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 PM

I know it it's not a formula it don't have the other parts as you say or the ralley gauge package. But a guy on Gm H-body on Facebook said it is one of less then 500 regular astre's to get the spoiler. I am waiting to get approved to join H-body.org (maybe you can put a word in for me over there)

And yes it still has the iron duke in it along with ac power steering and a big front sway bar

Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the adman onthe H-body site pretty well, are you going to use the same username there? If so I will try and nudge the proccess along. It would be interesting to find out if it did get the spoiler from the factory, or if it was dealer added. From the numbers I have the made around 2100 spoilers, there were just over 1200 Formulas made. But that number includes the few Formula Wagons they made, and the wagons did not get the 3 peice rear spoiler. And like you were told they made around 500 regularHB Astre's with the Spoiler option. So that means they sold around 500 spoilers over the parts counter as well.
If you plan on keepingthe Iron Duke in yours I have a few parts you can have for the price of the ride. Rebuilt starter, 2bbl Carb, some brackets, some gaskets. I decided to put a 215 Buick V-8 in mine after the Dist drive gear on the camshaft went.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:02 AM

Yeah I can't find the trim code 66 anywhere so I believe it's all dealer added or possible owner added. And I may never know now lol A guy from the GM H-body page on facebook pretty much talked me outta the car lol. But in return I will be getting a 80 Sunbird sedan with the 267 V8 in it. Really nice rust free car with super nice interior and uncracked unmolested dash. Will post some pics of it once the deal has been done and I have the car here. Don't get me wrong I like the Astre but out of all the H-bodies I've had none where sedans all hatch backs.

And I'm pretty sure i used the name "ponchonuty" for the h-body forum. That would be great if you could get me approved been a couple weeks and nothing so far from them over there.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:12 AM

Ok here are some pics of the sunbird... what do you think? Should I trade?... Totally rust free car, 267v8, Th350, torque bar, Ac, clock dash, and a bunch of extra parts off his parts car. Car should be here next weekend if I don't back out lol. Only if the Astre was a sedan lol

Old 02-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Sunbird Coupe Looks Pretty good, as for trading it up to you. You seem to like the coupe body style better so go for it. Is it because you planon making a 1/4 car out of it? I know the HB body style adds quite a bit of complication in regards to fuel cell mounting. Andof course the coupe or sedan body style is a little stiffer to start out with.

I personally have avoided the Sunbird HB's due to the rear tail light panel issues, and I just personally don't like the looks of the Astre Sedans, or the Sunbird Coupe's (but the sunbird coupe looks better to me than the Monza Coupe's). But if you like them go for it. Any mostly solid H-body is a rare find. And you definatly do not see many today. Even if the Sunbird Coupe was the best selling 1980 Pontiac Body Style.

Also I nudged Marco the Moderator on the H-body Site, and posted the Astre's Pictures you posted here there for discussion. I feel it was probably a dealer added graphics package, but with the same year introduction of the Iron Duke engine that is installed in this car, who knows it may be a Promotional Package?

Last edited by camerjeff; 02-13-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 PM

Yea it will be a strip/street toy. I just like the looks of the coupe as it's different and you don't see them as often as the HB's. And being rust free and factory V8 I'm a little future ahead. I plan to do some customized work to it to help set it apart even more. I plan to swap in 67-68 LED bird taillights not a big fan of the Sunbird taillights I will also be doing a custom hood for it. Going to mini tub it and put it in 275/60/15 drag radials on 15x10 wheels. I plan to keep it "stock" suspension legal...the biggest difference will be the Poncho motor swap! I'm hoping for a nice solid 9-10 second car...

Thanks for putting in a word for me!!

Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was googling Astre Duke andcame up with this unrelated expired Ebay auction for a Formula Sunbird coupe spoiler that sold for $1000.00!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-spoiler...p2047675.l2557

The Firebird Tail Lights would look good, I will beinterested in how you fit the Pontiac V-8 in a streetable H-Body. Not alot of room as you know. Sounds Like a great project.

As for the H-body site I heard that the Moderator that handles newmemberships has notbeen heard from in about 2 months. I have asked the other moderators what the future plans are for new members? I see someone just posted thier 1st post yesterday so maybe something is moving now.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:31 PM

Yeah that's crazy for a spoiler!
And if a BBC fits into these cars and they do fit nicely. A Pontiac motor is smaller and lighter then a BBC. Granted no one makes headers or mounts for this swap but I can handle all that myself and won't be there first time for me doing so. I just love it when people tell me it can be done or it wont fit just gives me more ambition to do so lol And the H-bodies I did find with the Poncho motor look very good in there and a better fit then the BBC. I love to be different and I guess that's why I'm a Poncho nut to began with.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:21 PM

Just wondered if you guys were still there since last post 2015. I have a 78 wagon I got with a broken windsheld for 750. Heard the 215 run in it and sounded very nice. Body is in nice shape, doors close perfectly even after having been raced , supposedly 11's with 215. My intent is street/strip with Poncho motor 350 or 400 2 seater "sedan delivery". Simple white with stock red interior. Just ordered an Astre fender emblem today and would like to have all the factory emblems /markings in correct place including the little red arrowhead in between the front split grilles. Hopefully I will be able to get it up in the air abit at the track. I did just read there was a "LIL Wide Track" marking kit available from dealer, wonder what exactly that contained too. Thanks Keith

Old 01-06-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith646671 View Post
Just wondered if you guys were still there since last post 2015. I have a 78 wagon , supposedly 11's with 215. My intent is street/strip with Poncho motor 350 or 400
If runs 11s, WHY swap engines? I have the rare '77 Astre FORMULA Wagon...
Back in 1960s, daily drove a '62 turbo Jetfire...

Old 01-07-2024, 04:34 PM

Maybe 9's with sweet 400. Have my nos UD NR100 cam, BME's and Victor to use up. Bought as a shell anyways as friend who had it sold motor for 2K. Might stick a 231 in it for an interim runner as I think nothing custom needs to be made
tho motor mounts etc. might be a chore to find Have good running 231/TH200 from 84 Cutlass ready. At least then not a "pusher" for shops to work. I heard 231's available for wagons factory, is that what yours has?