Old 11-02-2020, 10:45 AM

Default Alternator puts out 16VDC

SOS! 65 GTO having charging issues. Alternator is putting out 16VDC to the battery. The regulator smokes out the back. Have changed the regulator with 2 others, same issue. Had the alt and reg bench checked and all are ok. Changed the engine harness, added a third ground wire.

Going to try another alt tomorrow.

What else could cause this?

Thanks

George

G-Man
Old 11-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

regulator or wiring issue. it' the reg's job to control the output voltage. "added a third ground wire"....where? BTW the reg body needs to be mounted with a good electrical ground. Try connecting a jumper wire from the reg metal body to the batter negative.

George

Old 11-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check for battery voltage on terminal #3 of the regulator.

If it doesn't have full battery volts, the regulator will think the battery is weak or dead and make the alternator over charge.

Clay

Old 11-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of the above and also a bad battery. New mechanical regulators will smoke when new for a short time. The resistors get hot and this is normal After initial burn off it should not continue to smoke.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure there is a grd strap from the f'wall to the engine [ bell housing bolt is a good place ].