Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Default painted steel wheels

i have always liked the look of steel wheels and dogdish hubcaps. i have seen '63 's with painted to match wheels and some with black steel wheels. what determined if the wheels were painted to match the body color or painted black?
Dave

Old 11-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard if full hub caps they were black and if dogdish they were painted body color.My wagon had bodycolor with the dogdish.Tom

Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Sport Coupe is a 58K original mile poverty cap car and it has black wheels. I've got a white/red wagon, red/red wagon, and white/red 4 door that also have black wheels and poverty caps. I just went through a gold/gold Lemans parts car with poverty caps and black wheels.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but to say poverty cap wheels are body color without exception isn't adding up in my world.

I'll go through my PHS docs to see if there is an answer in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempiss waiting for first TMS run posted.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	72269   Click image for larger version

Name:	TPSTWAG1.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	72270  

Last edited by 63Banshee; 11-17-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee
My Sport Coupe is a 58K original mile poverty cap car and it has black wheels. I've got a white/red wagon, red/red wagon, and white/red 4 door that also have black wheels and poverty caps. I just went through a gold/gold Lemans parts car with poverty caps and black wheels.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but to say poverty cap wheels are body color without exception isn't adding up in my world.

I'll go through my PHS docs to see if there is an answer in there.

Out of curiosity, does either of your trim tags indicate the painted wheels? I.E., do they have the 3rd letter for the paint code. Just wondering about 63's, I know in some later years this was done. Example, AAA would be a black bottom, black top and black wheels. Seems they did this only with poverty caps, not full wheelcovers.

And in some years, 65 & 66 I know of, there were some colors that got color coded wheels with poverty caps, and other colors got black. I don't know the reason behind this, but you can check the 65 Pontiac page at www.autocolorlibrary.com and it tells what went with what for 65.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little something for the mix, Had an all original Gold 63 Tempest come throught the shop and it is still owned by a friend.
It has dog-dish and the wheels/rims are a chocolate brown.
Car is currently being restored and will retain some NOS dish caps with the brown wheels/rims.

Hey,
63 you out there?
Shoot some pics

Old 11-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 63 coupe is white with black wheels-all original-had the poverty caps. I had the wheels powder coated in gloss black so I hope it is correct.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Nocturne Blue Tempest is coded WWA. I didn't think to look at the others earlier. I bet they are the same "A" code for the wheels.