Old 01-17-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Optispark on it's way out?

97 Formula, today on the way home, while on the freeway engine died and wouldn't restart. Sounded like it was knocking while it was trying to crank over. So I had it towed home, ate some dinner went out an hour later to see if my scanner could read any codes; well the new scanner couldn't link with the computer but the car fired right up and purred like a kitten. Is there a way to test the distributor/ignition to see if it's going bad?
Thanks!!
Steve

Old 01-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Chief

Steve, when did you get a '97? Anyway, doesn't sound like an opti to me and they aren't cheap, nor particularly easy to replace. It's everyones first guess, and I've seen way to many posts where guys layed out the cash for a new one and it doesn't solve their problem. Theres good help over at www.ls1tech.com in the LT1 section, might want to give a shot at posting there as well.

-Ian

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Ian- got the 97 a month ago, sold the race car too!! Now I'm thinking of selling the 97 and buying a Honda...

Old 01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Do NOT!!!

go to GM for these parts. Jeg's and MSD has them much more reasonable. FYI. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

ONLY buy AC Delco units.. I found one on E-Bay for about $100 cheaper than anyone else, in the Delco box. Same for the ignition wires.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 PM

Yeah Jegs just sent me an Accell optispark unit, now I just hope it's the optispark and I didn't waste my money on something that wasn't broke...

Old 01-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1967
Yeah Jegs just sent me an Accell optispark unit, now I just hope it's the optispark and I didn't waste my money on something that wasn't broke...

Me too. At least you have a '97 though, the '93-'94 units are considerably more expensive. While your under there, you might want to make a sheetmetal tray/water slide thing that will divert water away from the opti in case your water pump begins to weep. I've seen people make them online but don't have any pictures. I still dont think it was your opti, though. Did you listen for the fuel pump to prime when it didn't start? Possibly just a hot coil? Hot ignition control module? Anyway, remove the fans, the radiator (they both come out the bottom) and unbolt the air pump. It will give you a bit more room to work.

BTW, I know you sold the race car and got another '67, hows it running? Is it slowly progressing to racecar again? Need some pics!

Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 PM

Fuel pump was cool, I pulled a couple plugs-crancked it over and no spark- so I'm guessing opti or control module- figure the car has 75,000 on it, it probably could use a nre opti- besides it's already got lots of go fast goodies on it! Also it has an electric water pump, but I'll take the opti apart and see if there is any moisture in it!

The new 67 is actually going up for sale in a week or so, don't have time for it, dont drive it, don't need it. this summer I'll be on the llok out for another 67- hopefully a 6cyl car that I can molest in my own special way. It's gotta be fast but It's gotta be a driver.

Wanna race my 97??

Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Fuel pump was cool, I pulled a couple plugs-crancked it over and no spark- so I'm guessing opti or control module- figure the car has 75,000 on it, it probably could use a nre opti- besides it's already got lots of go fast goodies on it! Also it has an electric water pump, but I'll take the opti apart and see if there is any moisture in it!

The new 67 is actually going up for sale in a week or so, don't have time for it, dont drive it, don't need it. this summer I'll be on the llok out for another 67- hopefully a 6cyl car that I can molest in my own special way. It's gotta be fast but It's gotta be a driver.

Wanna race my 97??

Your LT1 has nothing on this big bad LS1 - we rule all, nothings faster. Hahaha. No, but really, you'd probabaly pull me on the big end with your slippery wedge. Why dont you drive the new '67? Thoguht that was the whole point, have a nice mid 12 second street car that you can drive? If not, and "gotta be fast and gotta be a driver" and you definition of fast - turbo? All the cool kids are doing it. Ever take it out and se ehow it runs, anyway?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:46 PM

Haven't even put 50 miles on the 67- and I don't plan on it, It's way to original to mess with, i pulled the door panels off last week to change the locks, still had the original waterpaper (right term?) between the steel and the panel!! It's gotta go to someone else who will drive it- or thay can cut it up but I can't do it.

Changed the optispark yesterday- 1 of the screws holding the rotor on came out and it was letting the rotor move- car seems to idle better now, while I was at it I pulled the timing cover and timing gears- but I can't tell you what cam is in it...hee hee hee.

So about that race- I hear Livermore is jumpin' again!!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Haven't even put 50 miles on the 67- and I don't plan on it, It's way to original to mess with, i pulled the door panels off last week to change the locks, still had the original waterpaper (right term?) between the steel and the panel!! It's gotta go to someone else who will drive it- or thay can cut it up but I can't do it.

Changed the optispark yesterday- 1 of the screws holding the rotor on came out and it was letting the rotor move- car seems to idle better now, while I was at it I pulled the timing cover and timing gears- but I can't tell you what cam is in it...hee hee hee.

So about that race- I hear Livermore is jumpin' again!!
News to me, havent seen anything/heard anything around here in years now. Everytime I head out to the roads ther seems to be a damn sheriff out there.