Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default removing front springs

Ok, usually when under the car i have the car on my rhino ramps or my wood blocks, seeing im replacing the whole front end, springs, upper/ lower control arms, the works.

Im gonna need a jack stand somewhere here, i already took my HF specials back on the recall...........just wondering if this would work, in the pics i have the car jacked up some, would using my wood block work as a jack stand where i have it, I know i need to go up quite a bit more , i was thinking of using some 4X4 blocks added to the wood block to raise the car up more.

Never did this before, thats the reason for the dumb question, im gonna chain the spring to the frame for safety........

Will this block be in the way to remove the springs. ? if so, any other place i could use this.

Other question, would i be better off taking everything off the front end first, then tackle the springs...........or do the springs first then the other stuff.

Thanks in advance

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack stand (2).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	544699   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack stand (1).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	544700   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack stand (3).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	544701  

Old 07-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you get into it, if they are in the way, you have the opportunity to re-jack car up more and maneuver blocks where you want. I had to do that with jack stands as well.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI

Harbor Freight has recalled the replacement jack stands that replaced the originally recalled jack stands.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your position of the wood blocks on the frame should be fine. Yes, you need it higher. Stacking 4x4s or 6x6s you should be able to get enough height. The lower A frame needs to be able to come down as far as possible to remove the old spring and install the new springs.

Remove the front suspension pieces from the car, press out, and in, the new parts. when you have all the new parts installed in the A arms reassemble the parts putting the springs in last.

If you want to remove the old springs, and have a oxy acetylene torch, you can make a few cuts in the coils to remove all the tension for removal. Use some type of internal spring compressor when installing the new springs, don't use a impact wrench on a spring compressor, and lube the threads up to make it easier to compress.

Replacing springs is a fairly routine job, just use common sense when it comes to your safety. Some people have been hurt, but it's usually due to using bad technique, or the wrong equipment. I've done probably 50 sets of springs, and have never had any injuries, or close calls. Think ahead, look over what you're doing, before you do it, respect the stored power of a coil spring. Do all these things, and you should be just fine..............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated