THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
I am always glad to help, it's just a little disheartening to see how many ignorant or uninformed answers are thrown up as fact. It leaves the person who asked the question unsure of what the actual right answer is. I don't want to belittle someone trying to help, but if you don't actually know for sure, at least preface your answer with "I think" or something like that. That's what I do.
I agree with this post.
Have any of you noticed that "flopper" is in just about all of the groups, and is taken seriously there!??!?
Every time I see him post, I cringe.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no issue with the Facebook Pontiac pages. They are what they are. There are some great cars that you won't find anywhere else.
Just. Like. Here....if you blindly follow the first responders advice, you're a fool. If you discount all that's said there because there are idiots, what the hell are you doing here?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:00 PM

I have an account, and on a few Pontiac and separate Firebird and Trans AM groups. I have dogs, so I follow the Dachshund and Corgi groups. I’ve been able to find many car parts for my car projects, and been able to stay in contact with co workers from jobs I’ve had in the past. Even found a cousin who I haven’t seen or spoken to since I was 10 years old.

If there’s things or topics I don’t care to look at, I just pass by it same here. I don’t do the drama and Political stuff, but truly enjoy finding my car parts, and even buying and selling items for free on Marketplace.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
The Following User Says Thank You to Firedup6975 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
They couldn't pay me to have a Facebook or Twitter account. From what I've heard about both it would be like slitting your own throat or wrists with a butter knife.
Wow ! So you'd rather commit a painful suicide than to have to look at pics of vintage Pontiac drag cars or look at old Pontiac performance cars & parts for sale on a Pontiac FB page ?

That's a pretty radical view. But, if that's how you feel, then you don't have to join.

Some here may think I'm dumb & almost less than human for using FB.

Whatever.

The Following User Says Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Wow ! So you'd rather commit a painful suicide than to have to look at pics of vintage Pontiac drag cars or look at old Pontiac performance cars & parts for sale on a Pontiac FB page ?

That's a pretty radical view. But, if that's how you feel, then you don't have to join.

Some here may think I'm dumb & almost less than human for using FB.

Whatever.

Hyperbole: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Discussions here about Facebook always contain responses like that, it's not something to get worked up about.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mostly old farts here that will never change. FB has its place. Like everything in life, it is what you make it.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are some on FB that are literally trying to change history because their car has "x" part and a friend of a cousin said it is factory installed.
OR they do NOT like a part on their car and want to be told it never had that part..
Just like the big auctions, FB "users" have perpetuated the "facts" that:
All 1st gen Camaro's were Super Sports
All 1st gen Camaro's had Ralley wheels
Pontiac engines are "Big "Blocks"
Wont run without a MSD Box.
Don't need a REAL fan shroud, the thin Aluminum box will do, even if it only covers 1/2 the radiator..
Any wire is fine to wire a Electric fan..
Isn't even comedy anymore.....

Old 07-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
There are some on FB that are literally trying to change history because their car has "x" part and a friend of a cousin said it is factory installed.
OR they do NOT like a part on their car and want to be told it never had that part..
Don't need a REAL fan shroud, the thin Aluminum box will do, even if it only covers 1/2 the radiator..

I've never noticed that.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Senior Chief

I have been on FB for a little while now.

I told everyone I know that I have very specific rules for FB.

You WILL be de-friended if you do ANY of the following:

1. Send me a pic of something you are eating. Don't care.

2. Any thing political for either side.

C. Your friend is selling Avon, Creative Memories, etc.

4. Forwarding a "Lets see how many clicks we can get" posts.

I have very few friends left...………………………I like it that way.

BTW, the Grand Prix page is kinda cool.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FB Group "Pontiacs Online"
23,000 members and more cool photos that you old poops can shake a stick at

FB Group "Pontiac Heaven"
Museum group....22,000 members

Forums are cool, but for photos and events, FB is where its at. So take a Geritol, increase your screen font and come aboard.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The tech help is for sure better on the PY forums. And that's not to say that real experts don't chime in on FB too, there is just more BS to wade through. I try to correct anything I see that I know is blatantly wrong, and if I don't know the answer I keep my mouth shut. Most people don't which is the problem. I also get tired of the "what carb should I use" or "what oil should I use" questions constantly. I basically stay out of those until someone suggests using an E-carb. Then I cant help myself.

Im part of a lot of hot rod type "For Sale" groups. Those things are great. FB Marketplace is great. I follow all my local drag strips for up to date info. Facebook is a tool just like the forum is. The FB groups obviously get more Russian bots than the forums do. So you are way more likely to get a random political meme or a video of Trump rally from an obviously take account then you do here. Some groups are better at policing it than others.

Funny side note, Facebook is probably viewed negatively through the lens that its a bunch of kids.

The bad advice on FB car pages is ALWAYS old dudes. Always. Bunch of dudes who tell stories about their 72 Nova jumping Coke cans in the rain with camel hump heads and 3/4 race cams.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 07-01-2020 at 03:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
FB Group "Pontiacs Online"
23,000 members and more cool photos that you old poops can shake a stick at

FB Group "Pontiac Heaven"
Museum group....22,000 members

Forums are cool, but for photos and events, FB is where its at. So take a Geritol, increase your screen font and come aboard.
One of my cars came from Steve, at Pontiac Heaven.
I like that page and the graveyard page too for second gen's.
I have found though that a lot of questions asked, seem to be a call to put unrelated pics of their cars in that thread.
In one Pontiac page , One guy argued for over a week that HO455 cars NEVER had a air cleaner sticker because he doesnt like them..( hope he likes Buick)
Marketplace.. people, some, will say "I will take that part" , Not pay, and maybe say it will be a few days, then a month later want it as you are supposed to have "saved' it for them.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
One of my cars came from Steve, at Pontiac Heaven.
I like that page and the graveyard page too for second gen's.
I have found though that a lot of questions asked, seem to be a call to put unrelated pics of their cars in that thread.
In one Pontiac page , One guy argued for over a week that HO455 cars NEVER had a air cleaner sticker because he doesnt like them..( hope he likes Buick)
Marketplace.. people, some, will say "I will take that part" , Not pay, and maybe say it will be a few days, then a month later want it as you are supposed to have "saved' it for them.
I've made A LOT of money on the marketplace (automotive and not). You just have to set your rules and stick to them. You have to be a bit of a dick.

How about this group with 34,000 members? "Pontiac Cars and Parts For Sale and Wanted"

Private group · 34K members

Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 AM

Facebook is tool, like anything else it needs to be used correctly.
Tech support from Facebook Pontiac pages is great if you need pictures or images of completed projects, parts or anything for that matter........QUICKLY.....

If there is no picture or video - then it didnt happen. Its fast moving for quick information. Keep your needs specific and Facebook is great.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:25 PM

The Facebook Pontiac pages are interesting to review, to see what people are doing, talking about and so on, and to see the cars of course. There's plenty of misinformation from what I've seen, and I'm saying that as someone who is no expert.

Facebook itself is made to maximize page hit counts. That's why it only displays limited comments you keep clicking "show more", why it defaults to top pages instead of chronological order, and when you go back to the feed you can't find content that you were just reading. It's also why the search capabilities are horrendous.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
No, I read on FB that the majority of first gen Camaro's were Z/28's. That can be proven by reading your old Hot Rod magazines.....

Old 07-08-2020, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I belong to 3 groups. I refer people here every chance I get. Also PHS and the GT sites.
Some really stupid stuff there and all are experts.
At least one notorious person who “builds engines” has been kicked off most of them.
I don’t get too much argument.

Last edited by Jack Peters; 07-08-2020 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, Something interesting, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll...

LOL, similar to most forums!

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 11:12 AM

Like others here have said, "Facebook is just another tool" is a good description. Most every post has a picture or 3 and there is good information as well as falsehoods, like many websites. I've sold quite a few items on Facebook sites that didn't sell on PY forums and craigslist so it works well and is fun to look at.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FB is also better than the forums for super rapid response.

Several times when I dont know what Im looking at Ive asked a FB group questions like "Can someone go out and take a picture of their stock brake like switch?"

Which you can do on the forums too, but you are much more likely to get a response inside of 5 minutes on FB.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports