Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

View Poll Results: Please choose any of the following choices that apply
I have used and will use PY's online order system again 5 31.25%
I do not use online order systems. I prefer to call and talk to someone 5 31.25%
I used PY's online order system, gave up and now just call in orders 4 25.00%
I used PY's online order system and got so frustrated I decided to buy from one of their competitors 3 18.75%
PY's Online order system is no better or worse than their competitors 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default jUST USED THE ONLINE ORDERING FOR THE FIRST TIME

As above, I'm a first timer for ordering parts online since I finally decided to get my car back into shape.

What a disappointment.....the interface is not intuitive at all, the worst purchasing experience on the 'net I've had. Maybe it's me........

I started by doing a search on the left, seemed easy, dialed in the part number, search, nothing found.

Stumbled around, finally read that you need to add 1 part into the shopping cart THEN you can add more.....how do you easily enter the first part????????

Anyway, I managed, but entered an order with no credit card info first...it said thanks for the order!

Went thru the process again, this time did it right.

Earlier this week I did a phone order, easy, no complaints.

Anyone doing web interfaces should look at this as an example of how NOT to make a web interface.

Maybe it's me......................nah.

I'll try using it again now that I've been "indoctrinated". If it's still painful, I'll just use the fone.

It could be better.

George

Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Administrator

George, Welcome to PY! ;) It's not you. Our online order system is recognized as one of the most awkward out there. We have never really figured out how to fix it and we can't really replace it. Seems like a lot of members warm up to it once they get use to it however. On the positive side, there is a lot of pictures, stock availability and good technical notes.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You admit there is a problem with your awkward on-line ordering system but never figured out how to fix it so you think people just "warm up" to it. I'm sure there are potential new customers that get frustrated and just go elsewhere. Lost opportunities.

I would expect it would be time to bring in an outside website technical consultant to correct the issues and streamline the ordering process.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post

I started by doing a search on the left, seemed easy, dialed in the part number, search, nothing found.

Stumbled around, finally read that you need to add 1 part into the shopping cart THEN you can add more.....how do you easily enter the first part????????
George, in reading this again I tried to replicate your frustration and see that the 'search' box defaults to searching on the 'description' of a part. Not the part number. If you click 'advanced', you can search by part number.

I'm pretty sure most of the complaints about our system stem from this very issue since it is the very first experience you all have with our system. Most other systems don't make you go to another page to search by part number.

We're going to modify the wording or the logic of the search feature to make this more clear. Then maybe we'll do another poll and see how the poll results change. ;)

Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenbird View Post
You admit there is a problem with your awkward on-line ordering system but never figured out how to fix it so you think people just "warm up" to it. I'm sure there are potential new customers that get frustrated and just go elsewhere. Lost opportunities.

I would expect it would be time to bring in an outside website technical consultant to correct the issues and streamline the ordering process.
Thanks for bringing this up again! We have had technical consultants look at our system and we have made changes over the years. However, sometimes the most simple solution is right in front of you and you just don't see it. Read my post above. I'm betting this simple solution will change the perception of our ordering system dramatically.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's more fun to talk to Stacey and Pam!!! :) Eric

Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First time I've ever seen this thread and have to heartily agree that ordering online from PY can be frustrating.
I have to be honest that I bought from Ames exclusively for several years because of the trouble I had viewing and ordering from this system. Guilt finally drove me to slug my way through it because I enjoy the forums so much.

I order a lot of parts from different folks and thought PY was the worst until I just tried to order an exhaust system from PYPES a few minutes ago....I gave up for today.
Maybe I'll try tomorrow when a human is in the office.
In fact, I was only in this section to post, hoping someone could tell me how to do it.
Really don't want to order from Summit and pay their markup plus state sales tax!

PS- PY does run the best forum on the net though!

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Chief

Greg PY sells Pypes exhaust, but I agree that the online ordering is sub par. For instance I just typed in "pypes" and did a product search and came up with 26 results for mufflers only. No mention of the complete systems. Had to refer to your online catalog that I downloaded to provide the info below.

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 01-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Senior Chief

Complete Systems with X-change
for Header Cars:
SGA11 2.5" 1964-74 System (exc. 1970-71)
SGA11SS 2.5" 1964-74 System (exc. 1970-71) w/ Polished 304 SS
SGA16 2.5" 1970-71 System
SGA14 3" 1964-74 System
SGA14SS 3" 1964-74 System w/ Polished 304 Stainless Steel

Complete Systems without X-pipe
for Header Cars:
SGA30 2.5" 1964-74 System (exc. 1970-71)
SGA29 2.5" 1970-71 System, w/ valance
SGA31 3" 1964-74 System

Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
Greg PY sells Pypes exhaust, but I agree that the online ordering is sub par. For instance I just typed in "pypes" and did a product search and came up with 26 results for mufflers only. No mention of the complete systems. Had to refer to your online catalog that I downloaded to provide the info below.
Yeah, I had the same problem... Funny thing is, I went back to the Pypes site and from then on, I could not get the same items to come up on the Pypes site itself as I had previously....it took me straight from the Pypes page to the PY catalog....
The good thing about that is I do have a PY account so I can order. The other good thing is that the system is 100 bucks cheaper through PY.
The bad thing is that Pypes site shows it in stock and PY shows it Not in Stock...so I'm afraid to order without talking to someone. I know how those 'backordered' items can sometimes take months to ship.

Another issue (on the Pypes site) is that no matter what option I choose on the system I'm interested in, the link leads to the same system. Stainless, Polished Stainless, add X-Change option- all link to the same product for the same price...I know that ain't right...
After running around these sites, I don't really feel confident ordering except by phone at this point..
Thanks for the help though!

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Senior Chief

That is a weird situation you are having. If I remember correctly when I ordered my Pypes system it comes directly from Pypes, even if you order it from PY so I don't think you will have an out of stock issue.

Best bet is probably to just wait to talk to someone. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That is a weird situation you are having. If I remember correctly when I ordered my Pypes system it comes directly from Pypes, even if you order it from PY so I don't think you will have an out of stock issue.

Best bet is probably to just wait to talk to someone. Good luck!
I seem to recall Ccass or someone mentioning that they show out of stock because they don't keep them on hand...Something like when you order from PY, they have them shipped from the Pypes warehouse....but yeah, I'm talking to someone before I plunk down any plastic.
Like to get the exhaust done since I already have the car on stands welding the new trunk pan in and with the new tank, pad and straps waiting on the sidelines...

Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior Chief

Very cool! Wish I had the talent to do change the trunk pan myself.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Very cool! Wish I had the talent to do change the trunk pan myself.
Shss...who are you kiddin'? I saw what you did to that car of your's....and in no time at all!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

Ha thanks! Wrenchin is the easy part, body work is an art and I'm afraid to try it. Maybe someday I will get brave enough to try. I really want to take some additional welding classes or some sort of basic body shop class first.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
The bad thing is that Pypes site shows it in stock and PY shows it Not in Stock...so I'm afraid to order without talking to someone. I know how those 'backordered' items can sometimes take months to ship.
!
The Pypes main production facility is in the same building. There are rarely backorder situations on Pypes products placed with PY.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also just saw this post. I voted "have and will use again" because I prefer ordering online. I have a very hard time hearing on the phone, so I try to avoid that whenever possible.
Haven't ordered anything lately so not sure if it still doesn't give you the shipping charge. That is a negative, but we have already talked about that. :-)

And I tend not to use the search, I just go to the category I am looking for and start looking. I usually don't know a part number or even a manufacturer many times. Just looking to see if they sell "this part". But then I have a lot of time on my hands sometimes. Being online at work could be the reason, but I didn't say that outloud.
I have seen many sites that the search function is a tad flaky, so that isn't abnormal for me.

The other thing is I have been ordering various things online for at least a dozen years, so I may be used to things that for some of you aren't "normal". :-)

I like Summit Racing's site the best for ease of use, but this is my favorite Pontiac forum so I try to support the sponsor.

Russ

Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
The Pypes main production facility is in the same building. There are rarely backorder situations on Pypes products placed with PY.
So, if I order the header back system for '68 A-bodies...I think SGA10...from PY, even though the online catalog shows it out of stock, I should be able to get that in fairly short order? The PY catalog showed every system I looked at as not in stock.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
So, if I order the header back system for '68 A-bodies...I think SGA10...from PY, even though the online catalog shows it out of stock, I should be able to get that in fairly short order? The PY catalog showed every system I looked at as not in stock.
Unfortunately the exhaust systems are kits and our online system does not display kits as in stock.
I just checked inventory and SGA10's (2.5" system w/ X-pipe) are in stock and any of the mufflers (StreetPro, RacePro or Violator) that would go with an SGA10 are in stock as well.

Steve

Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_fan View Post
Unfortunately the exhaust systems are kits and our online system does not display kits as in stock.
I just checked inventory and SGA10's (2.5" system w/ X-pipe) are in stock and any of the mufflers (StreetPro, RacePro or Violator) that would go with an SGA10 are in stock as well.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I'll be ordering tonight or in the morning.

EDIT- I guess in the morning if I get a chance. Been trying to get into the 'Order Online' section and it must be down. I get perpetual 'Loading' message but it never actually loads.
Calling in orders is kinda iffy for me because I'm usually working during the day...I can get on the computer and walk away from it, then come back and finish but a phone call is tougher to get away with.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-17-2012 at 08:21 PM.