Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As much as I have a huge distaste for eBay, they have negotiated discounts on both Fedex and USPS to normally cover the 10% they take and then some.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Senior Chief

I will usually order direct from Ames, but the ONLY ship UPS expedited to Canada...when normal ground is sufficient, thus the cost is astronomical.I learned my lesson, I now ship to a buds house in NY Falls and truck it across myself.That way I only pay ground UPS to NY,I pay the taxes when I cross, FAR cheaper than the real expensive UPS and the $55 brokerage fee they charge.

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 12-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Bottom line, like most auto parts vendors, they just don't care. It's easier for them to just throw their product in a box, charge you the customer, create a label and wait for UPS to pick it up. That's all it boils down to. They don't pay for it, so why would they make it any cheaper when we, the customer continue to pay it? I deal will Turbo Buicks as well and there are a couple of vendors who did this BS. Guess what, people quit buying from them and they are no longer in business! When you have a business that deals with a specific group, seems like you would want to keep as many as possible. Many times I have put parts in your cart, then closed it after I saw the shipping charges. I did order the dash bezels kit and it probably could have been shipped First Class in a small box for about $5, but I had to pay $16 for a large box full of news paper, Really sad!

Old 12-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassman_67 View Post
there is no tax on items under $100...current free trade agreement...unless if was sent with global ship (which it is not) where they jam the import tax on it anyways. I just received a small item from the Michigan area, cost $9.95
That 32.95 is for priority mail probably.
Sending something over the border 1st class for cheap, like $15 is like finding a quarter in the bottom of the ocean. You never know when or how it will get to you.

We do the same thing. We charge for priority mail because it's quicker and is much more trackable...and insured if lost.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am still mad at Performance Years for selling out to Ames.....................I was 35 minutes away.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seriously we have got to do something about these shipping charges with Ames. I buy a good bit from them and will continue to do so and they are my go to for tech advice but when you have a smaller order you can’t beat NPD or OPGI especially with the over 99 dollar free shipping. All the oversized item fees and extra boxing fees.
I just sent a rear deck lid molding to California to a guy the piece that runs the whole length of the deck lid. The lady at the UPS store said it would have to be sent oversized so I thought here we go. Walked out of the ups store with them boxing and packaging it and insurance for 28 bucks. Quick Performance just delivered my rear end housing for 87 dollars definitely oversized and heavy

Old 12-31-2017, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Expect to get robbed when you pay someone else to box or wrap your items. I never use the UPS stores.
So did you pass along the exorbitant UPS cost to your customer, or eat it?

Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just saw in the new Ames catalog a 34.00 overcharge for front to rear brake line. Inline tube doesn’t charge an oversized item charge. How can you expect to sell a brake line when you add 34 bucks to the item cost and the already high shipping

Old 01-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
I am still mad at Performance Years for selling out to Ames.....................I was 35 minutes away.
You are not alone on that Dave. Many of us are feeling the same as you.

But... I will not buy from Year one due to their high prices. OPG's prices are high, but at least their shipping isn't so bad.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 01-01-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
OPG's prices are high, but at least their shipping isn't so bad.
Ummm....... you get one or the other. cheapest usps flat rate box is $7.15 (but will be going up shortly). so $10.00 ($2.85) for ames to pay for a box, filler and pay someone to get and pack your order is pretty fair.

maybe ames should offer a choice when ordering so you can choose if you want a cheaper price on the parts you need or a cheaper price on shipping?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default WOW! I didn't realize Ames shipping costs so controversial!

But I see the point...I just ordered a gas line for 64 lemans...$110 shipped from vendo to Ames...now, I must drive 2.5 hrs from Lowell, Mass to Spofford, NH...however, I am also an avid skier...and Heather offered that Crotched Mtn isn't far off on way home..Soooo, I will combine a day of awesome spring skiing with a morning parts pickup!! BINGO! AWESOME DAY!...but seriously, for the long term health of our fav supplier of great Pontiac parts, I hope Ames DOES care and is looking into using padded bags and maybe shipping drop-off points where its customers can go pickup orders sent in bulk maybe by an Ames
diesel truck to say any one of the three major local Mass/NH/RI Pontiac clubs locations...would be a great way to market your products to the faithful by having a once a month deliv to your local club...give one a reason to make a run, talk some Pontiac stuff with fellow owners and make us not think much about high cost of getting said parts.....also...this needs to be done..world getting smaller and smaller...and its still a "Dog-eat-small/inefficient -Dog" world...we want AMES to survive so that our kids and grand kids can keep using Ames to keep our Pontiac's going strong for GENERATIONS, not just our lifetime...now, Ames, how about chiming in here on what you can do to help the situation...maybe guys have some ideas and can think "outside of the box", pun intended!!! Steve in Lowell, Ma...anyone want nearby me want to make it worthwhile for me to pickup something for you in next week or so? smasse64@yahoo.com

Old 03-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If parts are dropped at a mass location, there WILL be tax..
Padded bags and a Ink stamp might be a good idea.
Granite Gorge ski area is right on rt 9 not far from Keene, near Ames ( its a small one but has snow making)
I pick up large Items at Ames because if its damaged, I can leave it to them to deal with.
Many items that are just big, even folded in half, get a over weight and oversize charge by UPS, even if its light .
I too pick up parts for folks in Maine and nearby friends who need them when I make the trip.
Right now they trust Mostly in UPS, and they buy boxes with Ames logo on them. I am happy the parts are available. I could see clubs doing a bulk pick up order but I doubt that it would please everyone.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's behind the 'free shipping' trend that seems so prevalent nowadays? I just ordered 4 tires and shipping was free and promise of 1~2 days shipping. I have 4~5 items around here that are NIB that I decided not to use but who wants to buy them from me when they could pay just a few dollars more, get them from the original distributor, say Summit for example, with return rights, warranty etc. and free shipping?
How do they do that? I can't ship a camshaft for free. I'd have to give it away to make it worthwhile for anyone.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
What's behind the 'free shipping' trend that seems so prevalent nowadays? I just ordered 4 tires and shipping was free and promise of 1~2 days shipping. I have 4~5 items around here that are NIB that I decided not to use but who wants to buy them from me when they could pay just a few dollars more, get them from the original distributor, say Summit for example, with return rights, warranty etc. and free shipping?
How do they do that? I can't ship a camshaft for free. I'd have to give it away to make it worthwhile for anyone.
Blame Amazon for this. Once one company does it a lot have to follow. They can work out cheaper shipping cost from the shippers because they ship SO much. I am not complaining at all for free shipping or same day

Old 03-05-2018, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess it did sound a lot like a complaint...it's not. I love free shipping. Just presents a minor conundrum.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

We have been experimenting with USPS and working with many on adjusting shipping on the smaller orders that are able to fit in a envelope. The group buys are definitely a excellent idea for people to not only save on shipping but also benefit from our discounts on large orders! This would be something that should be organized from said group or circle of friends. Also do not forget our show list that we attended every year this is another excellent way to save BIG!

Old 03-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many companies offer free shipping with an order of say $50 or $100. Has Ames considered this?

Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 Ram Air View Post
Many companies offer free shipping with an order of say $50 or $100. Has Ames considered this?
We would love if we could offer this! But being a specialty company that deals with Pontiac and Pontiac only this is not possible. Even so more often then not if a order is place within our discount ranges we beat out a lot of those "free" shipping offers.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 AM

Default Ugh

I really hate being in Canada and being forced to order parts from the US

Placed an order with Ames for 2 tie-rods for my 69 Grand Prix,209.49 to my credit card.
Informed Ames no UPS shipping and was informed these could go postal,great!!
78.23 shipping charge on the card today.

bitch session over

Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, when possible tends to be cheaper to us postal to ship foreign.