Old 01-29-2019, 03:30 PM

Default allen syncograph help

first time posting. trying to recurve a points type distributor with the syncrograph. I have searched everywhere and cannot/do not understand setting mechanical advance unlessi lengthen the limiter slot I am unable to get over 8 deg mech adv. everything I read indicates needing approx. twice that. any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:32 PM

sorry I am obviously in the wrong section.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:53 AM

Hi Mikeray. Sorry for the late reply, its been a while since ive been on this forum.

Regarding setting your mechanical advance. First, Make sure your distributor is securely mounted in your machine. If it is not securely mounted using the clamp, the distributor may walk as you increase RPM's. You will see this "walking" indicated by your timing also "walking". One of the symptoms of a distributor that is walking is also limited mechanical advance (since the distributor housing is moving along with the shaft; albeit slightly).

Another thing to check is if you have a bushing on the nipple sticking through the limiter slot. If you do have a bushing on there, take it off. Doing so will give you an additional 2-3 degrees of mechanical advance.

Also, make sure you are using light enough springs. If you are using factory springs, you will never get to 15-16 degrees of mechanical advance. I use Mr. Gasket recurve kits (part# 928G for points style). I use the factory weights and use one silver spring and one black spring in my points style distributors. I use 929G for HEI units and use the two gold springs.

If you have done all of these things and are not getting any love, you can lengthen the limiter slot. You can also modify/ grind the weights so that they swing out more. Ive never had problems getting 15-16 degrees out of a factory distributor that came on a performance oriented engine. If you are working with an industrial or low RPM dizzy (truck, for example) the limiter slot may be your issue.

I hope this helps. I love recurving these things, the power / performance gained from a proper recurve is amazing!