THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone have a Dash Cam?

I am thinking about getting one before I leave for Maryland Wednesday. What do Y'all have? Pros and cons?

Old 09-22-2019, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes My wife has a dash cam. No preference yet as we don't drive that vehicle that much. BUT we did manage to catch a vehicle driving down the wrong way on a divided highway, in a snow storm. Wife was freaking, was her driving. probably too big to upload here. No accident happened but would of had footage if it did.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting topic, looking forward to the replies.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 2 work trucks on the road. I want to put cameras in both, just havent got around to it yet. Im afraid of what I would see if I put one in my wifes mustang

Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

Have on in my DD for two years now. FIRST DAY I had it in the car, caught an accident on the way home. Called the cops the next day, said I had video of the incident, and they said well, edit it down, put it on a flash drive you wont get back, and drop it off. Told them if they want it they can come get it at my work there in town and bring me a replacement memory card. They didn't need it badly I guess. They never called back.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 09-23-2019, 09:01 PM

I put a Thinkware F800 I think the model is in my pickup truck. Definitely glad I have it. Been run off an exit ramp by a semi, had people blow through 2 stop signs and numerous people tailgating and cutting across multiple lanes to get to an exit. One tailgating young chick reading a book on her cell phone nearly smoked me and would have if I didn’t step on the gas to make some space. I really dislike being without it in my other vehicles. Next project is to hardwire it so it catches movement or a collision while parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Picked up one on Amazon for about $35, and it came with a backup cam as well. Wired it through a 5v power supply to a key on 12v source and it starts recording when key is turned. Also has a shock sensor to record if someone bumps the truck, and if an accident, will lock the video so it doesn't get deleted.
Gives me a picture in picture of both cams, and full screen when in reverse. I don't look at the camera, but it's there doing it's thing just in case I need video in the event of an accident.
You can pick one up for as little as $20, 4 and 5 star reviews, and most are 1080 resolution with impressive clarity. I'm going to stick one in the wifes car as well.
Only thing you need in most cases is a micro sd card, and it'll record in a loop and overwrite itself continuously.

68 GTO
Old 09-24-2019, 12:59 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Sort of off-topic question-

Could a dashcam aimed at the gauges in my race car be a cheap alternative to a data logger? Do the cheap ones have image-stabilization or would it need a shock-absorbing mounting (lots of vibration in the race car)?

Old 09-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Sort of off-topic question-

Could a dashcam aimed at the gauges in my race car be a cheap alternative to a data logger? Do the cheap ones have image-stabilization or would it need a shock-absorbing mounting (lots of vibration in the race car)?
That would be a great idea. However, they don't have image stabilization from what Ive seen, and their mounting isn't sturdy enough for a race car environment. A Go-Pro would be a better idea, their mounts are much sturdier. Have to make sure its close enough to read them well. My Go-Pro, mounted on the roll bar behind the drivers seat, didn't really have the resolution(?) to read a 5" tach in the dash.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 09-24-2019, 06:59 PM

BlueSkySea Mini0906 dual can for front/rear
BlueSkySea B1W for interior shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnXiVffX50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VqNhO5i8U

Old 09-24-2019, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Due to a very limited supply and an even shorter time frame to purchase one, I bought a Uniden DC-1 from Wal Mart for $30.00. I will use it on the trip this week and see how it does. I had two choices here. The Uniden or a Garmin 45 at Target for $150.00. If I like the Uniden I will buy a better make and model when I get back. I am heading for Maryland tomorrow and returning Monday.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. I've been meaning to get one.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had one for several years, but I don't open it up much anymore. Best thing I've ever caught on it was some BIG and hard snowflakes.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-30-2019, 10:07 PM

Same setup in my Land Cruiser

In the beginning of this video, it's in parking mode (1080p @ 2fps)

I call it the Benny Hill mode

Then is switches to photos and finally some normal footage on Sunrise highway where a Caddy stomps all over a Demon and a couple of Porsches nearly get into a wreck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0alwzPc8kw

Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Wow. I've been meaning to get one.
Get one, they can pay for themselves instantly.
I commute and see 2-3 road rages weekly. I nearly got clipped by one of two idiots doing so and had he hit me it’s nice to have it on video.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had some idiot in a plumbers van in my subdivision this morning coming down my side of the road, oblivious to anyone else, on the phone chatting away! I had to go into a front yard to get out of his way, and my cam was recording, so I'd have had a video record had he hit me!

68 GTO
Old 10-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Along those lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Get one, they can pay for themselves instantly.
I commute and see 2-3 road rages weekly. I nearly got clipped by one of two idiots doing so and had he hit me it’s nice to have it on video.
I have a 1.9 commute. I get cut off or tail gated every day. Last Sunday while on the highway a mini-van changed lanes without looking and almost took me out.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got back from my trip to Maryland and didn't have any thing worth saving on my dash cam. I guess 2,400 miles without an issue is a good thing these days.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Figured no need to start a new thread so.....
Ok basics. Do these plug in the cigarette lighter or have to be hard wired? I hate working under the dash on these new vehicles.
On rear view ones where does the camera mount if it’s a pickup truck?

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Figured no need to start a new thread so.....
Ok basics. Do these plug in the cigarette lighter or have to be hard wired? I hate working under the dash on these new vehicles.
On rear view ones where does the camera mount if it’s a pickup truck?
I installed one in my pickup which was intended for suction cup install, and fabbed a mount to attach to the mirror arm. Made the clamp from a grounding clamp. Ran the wiring along the edge of the headliner and down the a pillar to the fuse panel. I took the cigarette lighter/power supply that came with it and took it apart, soldered leads to the input, and tapped a "key on" power source. When you turn the key on, the camera comes on.

My other car has a key powered lighter socket, so I just stuck the power supply into it.
My goal was to have them autonomous and not pay any attention to them.

Oddly enough, the power supply plug just crapped out on my truck cam, so I'm plugging it in and out of the lighter socket with a different cord until I can find out what died.

68 GTO