THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Figured no need to start a new thread so.....
Ok basics. Do these plug in the cigarette lighter or have to be hard wired? I hate working under the dash on these new vehicles.
On rear view ones where does the camera mount if it’s a pickup truck?
FWIW, my setup has front and rear cams and the rear facing cam is stuck to the glass behind the passenger side rear seat headrest. I picked up some add-a-fuse bases at an auto parts store and will finish wiring the system into an always-hot spot in the fuse panel under the hood. The F800 cable isn't long enough so I'll end up crimping in an extra couple feet of 16ga wire and I have a good place to come into the truck on the firewall.

With the always-hot wiring set-up, it goes into monitor mode when the truck is off. As soon as it sees power from a switched source it goes into continuous record mode and dumps old data as necessary. If I get hit when I'm away from the truck, the unit comes on in a second or so and records for maybe 30 seconds front and rear. I can also set it up to record if it detects movement while away.

If I were to get into an accident while on the road, the shock sensor automatically tags the recording from 30seconds prior to the shock to 30 seconds after and locks the recording from being overwritten. After the 30seconds is up, the continuous 1-minute interval recording continues so that even after a collision the cam should continue to record image and sound.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Senior Chief

I ordered a $23 one from ebay and couldn't get it to work. The app worked with my cell phone but it wouldnt ID the camera so no video. I contacted the seller and they tried to solve the problem but no solution. Fortunately ebay accepted it as a return. Never again a cheap carcam.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have a dash cam. You have an accident and need the video. How do you watch it and how do you save the part you want? How much time do you have to do the watching and saving? How much video do they store and where?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
You have a dash cam. You have an accident and need the video. How do you watch it and how do you save the part you want? How much time do you have to do the watching and saving? How much video do they store and where?
The way I understand it, the dash cam records in a loop. When it senses an impact or sudden hard breaking it saves the previous 20 seconds to the micro SD card and will not record over that section again until it is cleared.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
The F800 records in a loop and right now there are a ton of 1 minute clips (front/rear) in the memory which I can view through an app on my iPhone. Not sure how many clips are actually in there but a few days' worth of commuting time 15minutes each way home and back every day.

I have had a couple of close calls. Using the app I downloaded those clips to my phone and then to a hard drive. I can't remember if I installed micro SD card or if this is all std internal memory. But am sure a micro SD came with it.

https://youtu.be/-iTD9VVYl4I

I just uploaded to youtube, hope it works.

The Following User Says Thank You to dstryr For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ended up going with this one. So many choices out there it made it hard to decide. So I finally picked this based on it’s a brand I at least have heard of, and I liked the fact that the rear facing lens is intergrated into the main camera.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIDEN-Dash...53.m1438.l2649

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What red light????

I won't drive here in California without a dash cam. This was yesterday morning. What red light?the drivers going straight had the Green light. That Comcast Xfinity van driver was the worst of the two. see photos. The camera is a DOD ls 460W, The original film and photo screen shots are crystal clear and large detailed pictures. Also works great a night and in tunnels. It films 30 frames per second for about 10 hours with a 64 Gigabyte card then it starts filming over the old films, Loop recording. It also has a program to capture the screen shots, 30 pictures at a time.I've had this current camera for about 3 years. Also a dumb a$$ bike rider earlier this year in May going through the red light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AH1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	524659   Click image for larger version

Name:	AH2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	524660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	524661  

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Last edited by Bill H; 11-17-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Senior Chief

The guy on the bicycle going thru the red... that problem kinda solves itself eventually.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan