Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 PM
Boost Engineer

With today's converters (in auto trans applications), I would not ignore putting the braces on both M/T and A/T trans offerings. Some Auto Trans cars leave very hard.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
It started out that way. High HP manual transmission cars were the first to have the braces. Then over the years automatics, El Caminos, anything with a larger than stock V8, had them. Guess GM figured it was cheap insurance to prevent frame damage.
On factory automatic equipped cars, that was only a Chevrolet F41 & Olds 442 deal. In the 90's I used to pull the '68-72 frame braces nearly every month, while out pulling rearend housings, sway bars, etc.. at one time had two 5 gallon buckets full of 68-72 style braces.

Theres a pair of '68-72 braces on my HO auto GT-37, but that's because the original owner bolted them on in the early 70's. He also boxed the upper rear control arms, very similar to what Olds Engrs did for 442's in 66-67 time frame, & he installed boxed lower control arms from a Chevelle.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These braces are always good to add (4-speed or not). I've welded up a few A-body frames that were cracked where the rear cross-member meets the frame. I made my own braces. When I get a chance I'll post pics. I actually have a fixture for making '64-'67 braces.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's my design and fab job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	524829  

Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Any design that will help the rear cross-member and rear axle assembly survive in a good design. Nice Work.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Any design that will help the rear cross-member and rear axle assembly survive in a good design. Nice Work.

Tom V.
Thanks Tom. It's actually two stainless steel pipe reducers and pipe. I turned the threads out of the reducers. I fitted it all up on the car. Then I made a fixture for both sides off of the prototypes. I had planned to sell these. Never followed through. Lol!