THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This was the funniest post yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
When I bought my old 72 Formula many years ago in Oregon, I was sitting at guys kitchen table counting money out. Wall phone rings. Guy answers. Instantly in a loud voice tells caller: "I wouldn't sell you that car if you were the last FFFnnn person on earth", and slams phone down. It was a funny moment that stuck with me. I get it.
@ Sirrotica

Dude, that sucks!

Is there anything you learned from that ordeal which you might do different and share with us?

I haven't sold much, but the last car I sold, I required a deposit before doing prep work ect...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've learned a few things as a seller but two stand out:

1. Before I even consider doing the negotiation thing, I ask the perspective buyer: "if we agree on a price, are you prepared to make a binding financial commitment on the spot"? If the answer is "no", then the price doesn't move. That usually clears out the tire kickers quickly.

2. Before I lift a finger to do any form of prep work, paperwork, shipping arraignments, etc, there MUST be cash in hand. Been burned before on that one.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since this person is very well known in the Pontiac hobby I didn't ask for money down, I trusted him. He wanted a testbed/showcase for his new at the time RA V cylinder heads. I've actually known him quite a while before we entered into this deal, although I never had any business dealings with him previously.

In retrospect I should have gotten a deposit, but felt he was trustworthy. When it comes to money though, people change their attitude.

I've noticed when he lists something for sale on this forum, he wants top dollar for his stuff. If he's buying something, your stuff is worth next to nothing, apparently.

If he was contemplating going with the local car, I surely would have appreciated him telling me not to pull the cylinder heads off of my car until he was certain that he was going to buy my car.

When I got there the excuses started, I thought it was a 4 speed car, it's got rust on the floor pans, etc. All these subjects were already discussed in depth before he said he wanted it. How much less would you take for the car? Dude, we already discussed price, and you agreed to it.

I had previously asked him to come to my house and look at the car before he decided whether he wanted it. At the time he said he was too busy to make the trip to lay eyes on it. At Norwalk I approached him to see if he still wanted it. He said he did, and I should get the heads off and run it up to him after Norwalk. I started on it when we got back, and called him and told him it was ready, and asked when I could deliver it.

If one of the locals hadn't seen my car sitting in front of his shop, and stopped and asked if this was the local car he was contemplating buying, I would never have known about there being a second car locally that he was supposed to go look at. As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know, the rest of the story".

Evidently he didn't purchase the local car either, the heads are on another car, that he already owned.

The kicker to the whole story is that I had another person interested in it, and because I was taking the people in order they contacted me in, I had to tell the second guy I had it sold. He then bought something else with the money he had budgeted for my car before I got back to him about being stiffed on the first deal. Ironically the second in line just called me yesterday, and is still interested in my car, (3 plus years later) and has some money put aside for it if I still had it for sale. Maybe the saga will end finally...…...LOL

Lesson learned, even though I already knew it from operating my own garage for many years. Money talks, bull---- walks.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-29-2019, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

@ Sirrotica;

Thanks for sharing some more.
Again, sorry to hear about the shenanigans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37 View Post
I've learned a few things as a seller but two stand out:

1. Before I even consider doing the negotiation thing, I ask the perspective buyer: "if we agree on a price, are you prepared to make a binding financial commitment on the spot"? If the answer is "no", then the price doesn't move. That usually clears out the tire kickers quickly.

2. Before I lift a finger to do any form of prep work, paperwork, shipping arraignments, etc, there MUST be cash in hand. Been burned before on that one.
Thanks too for speaking up - that first point is pure gold!
I'll try to remember that.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Thanks too for speaking up - that first point is pure gold!
I'll try to remember that.
No problem. There is a Part 2 to that first point: make sure the deal is written down and both parties understand.

I sold an airplane a few years ago and my asking price was very fair. Guy comes along, likes the airplane and then starts asking if I will add a few things/do some work prior to delivery. In my mind, this was "the negotiation" and the work I agreed to was equivalent to me moving off my price. I agreed and we shook hands. A week later when he had the funds lined up, THEN he starts in on the "PRICE" negotiation. Long story short, he thought me doing extra work was gratis, and separate from price.

I did the deal but it was an expensive lesson.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

He should have done that a year ago.

Scrap prices were double what they are now.....

Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Negotiating is a lost art. I've had more than a couple of people test me with their stupidity. Asking price, $2500. Guy asked what my bottom line was, I told him $2200. He offered $2000. He quickly realized I was going to tell him to get the eff off the property, gave me $2200. Another was a co-worker. Already knew he wasn't any good at haggling, so I gave him a choice. Asked him if he wanted my bottom line, or if he wanted to haggle instead. He wanted the bottom line, so I told him. Then he asked what the haggling price was. Sigh.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ sorry, that was all too funny
probably not funny in the moment, but thanks for sharing none the less

Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 PM

the Charger owner taught me a lesson alright....Dumber than Dirt is not just a phrase...he is living proof.

He paid $3,700 and was pissed that he could not flip it for more after selling off some parts (listen to the banter in the video).

I bet he has already bought another POS junker since the crusher video …… thinking he will get rich on the next flip.

He is mental with anger issues and has a hard core case of OCD and SDA (Superb Dumb Ass).

The car community is a cross section of humanity and some of the sections are hard to comprehend.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
/\ sorry, that was all too funny
probably not funny in the moment, but thanks for sharing none the less
Know a guy (honest, not me) that HATES mayonnaise. Ordered a sub
at Subway. Toppings? Everything except mayo. Server put mayo on.
Argument ensued. As he was leaving, she muttered "you said mayo". I
blame short attention spans.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With the audio the guy proves himself to be an idiot. He and the car were a perfect match. The car was a complete turd and he is a complete ass.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those parts are like gold, the front end is a one year only model and nothing is reproduced. Damn shame.

I can see the frustration but this is extreme

Old 10-30-2019, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

I often give "light switch" prices. Its either yes or no, you will pay what I am asking. Yes means you leave with it and I get your money, the No means you take your money and go away. Either way I'm happy.

I do negotiate on some things, but for the most part no.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
I often give "light switch" prices. Its either yes or no, you will pay what I am asking. Yes means you leave with it and I get your money, the No means you take your money and go away. Either way I'm happy.

I do negotiate on some things, but for the most part no.
I pretty much do the same. When I'm selling something, I almost always quote low end prices to begin with, so I feel no need whatsoever to negotiate.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really believe haggling is a lost art;
Because I do a little bit of buying and selling, I have learned the hard way to "pad" my asking price;
Sometimes i clearly put my price as "firm", but other times, I don't because I expect to get haggled no matter what price I put out there...

As a matter of full disclosure though, I started to watch the video, but just couldn't do it - I turned if off before the carnage started... right around the time I heard "this will show them";
What a buffoon.
That doesn't teach anyone anything, it just takes a car, or parts out of circulation.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

Try to sell a car in Kentucky . Kentuckians are hands down the cheapest most cut throat people I’ve ever been around . I had a really clean 69 c10 a few years ago , it appraised for 10,500 before I did anything to it . I was asking $8500 . These shysters would low ball with a $1500 offer , or they would want to trade a dirt bike , 4 wheeler etc . It was exhausting . Hillbilly’s will waste your time and have more BS . I won’t even participate in the neighborhood yard sales - they’ll try to beat ya down over a Nicole lol

Old 10-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've sold at a "fair" price and the reality is that most people expect to negotiate. No mater how good the price is, people want you to move some so they can feel good about the purchase.

The other problem is that a low price often drives people out of the market in the first place. The airplane I sold above is a good example. Was priced well for a "quick sale" but I got no action. So I decided to keep raising the price and pretty soon I had all kinds of interest in it. It ultimately sold at a discount, but that number was still quite a bit higher than my initial advertised price.

Sales is psychology as much as math.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37 View Post
I've sold at a "fair" price and the reality is that most people expect to negotiate. No mater how good the price is, people want you to move some so they can feel good about the purchase.

The other problem is that a low price often drives people out of the market in the first place. The airplane I sold above is a good example. Was priced well for a "quick sale" but I got no action. So I decided to keep raising the price and pretty soon I had all kinds of interest in it. It ultimately sold at a discount, but that number was still quite a bit higher than my initial advertised price.

Sales is psychology as much as math.
I agree with this post on so many levels.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

Quote:
I really believe haggling is a lost art;
Because I do a little bit of buying and selling, I have learned the hard way to "pad" my asking price;
Sometimes i clearly put my price as "firm", but other times, I don't because I expect to get haggled no matter what price I put out there...

As a matter of full disclosure though, I started to watch the video, but just couldn't do it - I turned if off before the carnage started... right around the time I heard "this will show them";
What a buffoon.
That doesn't teach anyone anything, it just takes a car, or parts out of circulation.
I always get told I sell stuff too cheap. Between the time wasters and no shows it's exhausting. I used to sell at the local car show swap meet with a "friend" of mine. He turned out to be a crook and a liar. I watched him sell a set of rims as a set, they weren't and one of them was even bent and he knew it.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-30-2019, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

At the Portland swap meet one year there was a Cameo pickup truck for sale. It was way to cheap but we didn’t see the seller. We got distracted and when we came back it was sold. However, the price on the sign was a lot higher than it was before. The now former owner said no one asked about it when it was cheaper. He raised the price and it sold.
It’s a weird world sometimes.