THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I always get told I sell stuff too cheap. Between the time wasters and no shows it's exhausting.
From my experience, if it's priced right, or maybe a bit high, you get a whole different class/type of potential buyers than if it's priced too low.
With a different type of buyer, you get a whole lot less headache.

that's just my

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
At the Portland swap meet one year there was a Cameo pickup truck for sale. It was way to cheap but we didn’t see the seller. We got distracted and when we came back it was sold. However, the price on the sign was a lot higher than it was before. The now former owner said no one asked about it when it was cheaper. He raised the price and it sold.
It’s a weird world sometimes.
my perception is that if it's priced too low, people won't ask because they suspect something is wrong with it, and they don't want the headache.
This applies to cars and parts.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Like the old story of the guy whose dog had pups. Advertised FREE PUPPIES in the paper, no interest. 2 weeks later advertises PUPPIES $20.00 EACH, and sold out.....

Old 10-30-2019, 05:54 PM

Momma must be proud of her little manchild, what a dolt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goat Roper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Jeremiah Goodman October 30, 2019 at 3:13 am

I’m the guy he talked about never came back I tried for 5 years to buy this car I left nite after nite with his mother cause he was serving 19 years in prison he just got out last year. I stopped by when I heard he was out his mother said she let him know and give him my updated number. I offered him my running and driving 68 mustang coupe red on red in the letter. I left his mother if he told me he’d take $5000 I would have come up with it I never got a call.
Well,i guess daniel the prison stooge showed everyone,he got scrap price,instead of a mustang and 5k.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
He has his house on the market and received some low offers https://youtu.be/3LfKexq6a4o
Lol

Old 10-30-2019, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Negotiating is a lost art. I've had more than a couple of people test me with their stupidity. Asking price, $2500. Guy asked what my bottom line was, I told him $2200. He offered $2000. He quickly realized I was going to tell him to get the eff off the property, gave me $2200. Another was a co-worker. Already knew he wasn't any good at haggling, so I gave him a choice. Asked him if he wanted my bottom line, or if he wanted to haggle instead. He wanted the bottom line, so I told him. Then he asked what the haggling price was. Sigh.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoy negotiating with some people who come to my business. Just yesterday a couple wanted to buy a lamp. Asked the price? $200. Husband straight away says, "can you give me a better price?".

I respond immediately with $220. He say "What? You just said $200 now its $220"

My reply is "yes, $220 is better for ME. You don't like my first price so I'll give you a price which is much better for me. You want to negotiate, we just keep going up. Tell me when to stop".

Just like so many before them, they happily shelled out the $200.

But there have been occasions where if they won't shut up and want to continue to haggle, I just tell them its no longer for sale and they should leave. They never leave and always pay the price I first asked. Never fails.

Ian

Old 10-30-2019, 06:39 PM

Should have donated it to a Tech. School, so kids could take it apart then re build it.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-30-2019, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heybuck - sounds to me like you have been in the selling business a long time. I used the same technique at swap meets. Too many people watch "American Pickers"............and believe it! Talk about a show made for TV!.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dealing with rubes and morons has greatly soured me on trying to sell anything.

I just sold a project truck and it was a two week exercise in frustration. The number of people who don't even read the ad is just amazing to me.

The truck didn't run and this was clearly explained in the ad. Had some guy call and actually talk to me about it. Said he wanted to come out Sunday to get it. He didn't haggle on the price and something just felt off as he hadn't mentioned a trailer or anything so I asked him if he realized it didn't run.

Me: You know it doesn't run, right?
Him: It doesn't run? There's something wrong with the engine? <-- Note that there was a picture in the ad of the engine sitting in the bed of the truck.
Me: Yeah, the engine's in the bed. Did you read the ad?
Him: No.

I mean seriously, WTF? And Facebook Marketplace just makes things worse. There's a button you can push that sends a message to the seller that just says "Is this still available?" So all these morons look at your ad, click the button and then move on. How is the seller supposed to respond to that? All I could do is send a single word message "yes" and they never respond back anyway. Why on Earth would I leave an ad up for something I've sold? So that I can be bothered by mouthbreathers who aren't really interested but can click a button?

Old 10-31-2019, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
I enjoy negotiating with some people who come to my business. Just yesterday a couple wanted to buy a lamp. Asked the price? $200. Husband straight away says, "can you give me a better price?".

I respond immediately with $220. He say "What? You just said $200 now its $220"

My reply is "yes, $220 is better for ME. You don't like my first price so I'll give you a price which is much better for me. You want to negotiate, we just keep going up. Tell me when to stop".

Just like so many before them, they happily shelled out the $200.

But there have been occasions where if they won't shut up and want to continue to haggle, I just tell them its no longer for sale and they should leave. They never leave and always pay the price I first asked. Never fails.

Ian
BAH-HA-HA!!

That's great!!

Thanks for the laugh!!

Old 10-31-2019, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
...And Facebook Marketplace just makes things worse. There's a button you can push that sends a message to the seller that just says "Is this still available?" So all these morons look at your ad, click the button and then move on. ...
I am NOT defending morons... but maybe I'm in the catagory;
FB marketplace is a bit confusing for me - so I stay away from it - the first time I was in it I somehow accidentally sent that generic "is this still available" message - but immediately messaged back appologizing for that...
The other thing that confuses me is that the FB-marketplace messages are in a completely different location than FB-messages!?!

I am hating facebook a little more with each passing month.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I posted this before, but a guy here in ok crushed a 69 r4 ta because he got pissed off at people bugging him about it and trying to mess with it. true story I had looked at the car and was on a friendly base with him. it liked to have killed me.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:00 PM
Senior Chief

Lets see if I have the story right. Guy buys a car and tries to flip it for more. He only gets offers close to what he paid so gets angry and crushes. Now its a total loss and he feels like he somehow hurt the people that made offers. His friends cheer like its a victory. LOL, the only thing I see him winning is a Darwin award.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the 1969 RAIV TA seems unbelievably, as in please-let-it-not-be-true-because-it's-so-completely-stupid short sighted...

Old 10-31-2019, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting responses here. Maybe the reason some people get so butthurt over haggling is because one party (the seller) mistakenly thinks he has a one of a kind specialty item, while the buyer feels the item is a common commodity.

If I'm looking at an item that is one of many (a commodity), I'll walk away if I think I can get a better price next door. On the other hand, if this is THE engine block that my SD TA was born with, then commodity pricing goes right out the door - you pay whatever you can afford.

In the case of this POS Charger, people were willing to walk and THEY define the price, not the seller. The seller was obviously way out of bed with market norms so everyone obviously thought he was padding his price -and heavily at that. OF COURSE he got lowballed - he was begging for it! The fact that he's mentally unstable was just icing on the cake

Old 10-31-2019, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reason I've held onto my GTO for 48 years was I figured if I sold it
sooner or later it would fall into the hands of an ASSHAT like the guy with the Charger. Not going to happen on my watch.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Like the old story of the guy whose dog had pups. Advertised FREE PUPPIES in the paper, no interest. 2 weeks later advertises PUPPIES $20.00 EACH, and sold out.....
Same as leaving something at the curb with a free sign,it stays for days. Put $20 sign and someone will steal it.

TOM
Old 10-31-2019, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Same as leaving something at the curb with a free sign,it stays for days. Put $20 sign and someone will steal it.
So true. When I had my service station I had a mag wheel with a big chunk broken out of the backside of the wheel (total scrap). It had a wide used tire still mounted on the rim, albeit flat. I left it outside in front of the office one night and it disappeared overnight. Would have loved to see the guys face when he saw the big chunk of aluminum missing out of the backside...……...LOL....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated