THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
before i had kids i used to play guitar a lot, and i wanted to play skynyrd more than anything. here is a link from my basement jamming to "Call Me the Breeze" back in the day. never made it into a band, sadly.
Man you were about to strangle that bicht !
Rock On Mr. Breeze

Old 11-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never knew until today that Ricky Medlocke (singer/guitarist of BlackFoot) was the DRUMMER for Lynyrd Skynyrd in the early 70's.
Wild to me

I like Ricky Medlocke and loved BlackFoot
It was cool to me when he hooked in with Skynyrd later on (and been with them ever since).
But sort of amazed me he had early history with them - and as a drummer.

I met all of BlackFoot in Greensboro - forgot the year - it was the tour for the Tomcattin' album. (the one after Strikes)
At our local neighborhood shopping center.
There was a coin Laundry Mat , and also a gameroom, amongst other retail businesses.
I was in the gameroom playing pinball, Oakley comes running in and swears that BlackFoot band is in the laundry mat.

do what ?
screw you man !

Well .... he was right. lol
They were all there doing their laundry.
Show was the next night.
I was definitely already going anyhow - they gave me and several others free tickets,
and signed all kinds of stuff for everybody.
Folks were running to Zayres and buying albums to get signed.
Still hard to believe it happened and that Oakley spotted them, and recognized them.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a bit of interesting trivia for you.

I think it was in 1978 or 1979, and my dad had set his camper up for the full summer at the big campground south of Myrtle Beach. At the time, it was called Ocean Lakes, it's probably been developed by now. Back then, there were quite a few people with kids my age who set up their campers for the whole summer. My dad and I worked through the week and went down on weekends. I was jealous since my younger brother and sister got to stay at the beach all week.

I was working a construction job for the summer that year, but we ran out of work so I was able to spend a whole week at the beach. The Rolling Stones were playing the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, but I didn't go because I needed to save my money for college. The night of the concert, I went to the Magic Attic with a couple of other campers., don't remember who was playing. Anyway, while the scheduled band took a break, the Rolling Stones came on stage, played one song (Jumping Jack Flash) and then left.

I saw KISS a couple of times over the next couple of years. One of my other favorite bands, STYX, opened for them.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
At the time, it was called Ocean Lakes, it's probably been developed by now.
oh man
Knew that area REAL WELL (ocean lakes campground).
3 different Beach-Side/Ocean-Front campgrounds in a row back then.
Pirate Land, Lakewood, Ocean Lakes
Not been down to that area in a long time, and agree it is likely re-developed now.

Summers of 77 & 78 my best friends' family had a camper set up for full summer seasons in Pirate Land.
We spent more time there than we did at home those summers.
Ocean Lakes had the most girls our age and the best game room//action//party people.
It was the biggest of the 3 , and even had year-round residents.
We walked down the beach to O-Lakes pretty much every day and every night.

In 77 we had girlfriends who were year-round residents of O-Lakes.
Tanned like coconuts and extremely good-looking (for 13 and 14)
They knew everything and everybody in that place practically.
Got into lots and lots of mischief with those girls. Day and Night.
They had their own golf carts and were hot-shot adolescent rock stars in O-Lakes.
In 78 their fathers practically had bounty's on our heads - we weren't allowed to see them anymore.
And we obliged .

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Anyway, while the scheduled band took a break, the Rolling Stones came on stage, played one song (Jumping Jack Flash) and then left.
I had heard rumors before about that Rolling Stones fiasco - but never knew if it was true or not.
Wild as heck that it really happened - AND You Were There !

Old 11-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmailman View Post
Found this at a flea market this weekend. Not great condition but it works for me. It has the original flyers inside.
Damn.... I saw that same LP at my local flea market this morning and passed on it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Damn.... I saw that same LP at my local flea market this morning and passed on it.
Be aware that the record companies are selling new copies of this album now, with the original flame cover. The original pressing had the paper inserts that the new ones don’t have. This is from walmart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC92786E-5952-46F8-BF47-4C06217F911F.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	524202  

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

Yes there are a couple labels releasing it with the flames.