THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default When you ship auto parts or what ever who do you use?

I went to ship some 64 grilles today they are awkward to say the least. Usually I go to Fedex. I had already shipped two boxes of parts earlier but that location didnt have a box

I went to fedex and they wanted 75.00, can't weigh 4 lbs. That was way over what I told the buyer it would cost.

So I drove down the street to UPS and it was 37.00.

Now both places were going to package and ship.

I guess I will start using UPS.

Greg

Old 11-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Much cheaper if you package the items yourself VS a "pack and ship" store doing it for you.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Much cheaper if you package the items yourself VS a "pack and ship" store doing it for you.
The post was about the price differential between the two competitors

At fedex they wanted 25 for the box and 50 for shipping. I usually box my own stuff but those grilles are odd shapped and fragile.

UPS 37.00 for all of it.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Senior Chief

For smaller items I use the post office. For everything else I use Fedex ground. Light weight items in a larger box are charged by the package dimensions. Always find the smallest box possible.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have found that FedEx retail pricing is very high. They are bandits imho....

Don

Old 11-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's a good idea to always check UPS, FedEx and USPS. Depending on the shape, size and weight, sometimes one will be least expensive and other times another one will be least expensive.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently shipped a set of cast iron heads....UPS $140 vs FedEx $210.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 PM

1.) If you pay for shipping online it is about 30% less than just showing up and paying retail.
2.) boxes are plentiful at any community recycling center and free.
3.) if it is an odd size...fold up a big used box to the correct size and tape it closed with overlap for strength...wrap with heavy brown paper and lots of tape.
4.) when I list my items I check shipping cost by multiple carriers before agreeing on a price and typically the buyer pays for the shipping.
5.) Very Large items like a dash pad are way cheaper to use Busfreighter or Fastenal.
6.) some destinations are just plain expensive (California).

There are shipping bargains out there....I shipped a set of cast iron heads from St Louis to Detroit for $65.00 via UPS this year.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After 40 years of using only UPS, we have started using the USPS for lighter (3 pounds and under) packages. We still use UPS for everything else. Read the insurance part of the carriers contracts, and you will understand why those are the only 2 we will use.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've become a pro at creating custom size boxes out of bigger boxes

95% of the time I will get my pricing on the website and print my own labels. I never fudge more than 1/2" and a few ounces and never had a problem so far.

Usually my only problem shipping larger items via USPS is that in a lot of areas they won't deliver it if it won't fit in the mail box and I hate to see the buyer have to go to the PO to pick it up.

They have gotten WAY better in my area with that, I'm very rural and there were a lot of less than motivated USPS drivers that would not get out of the vehicle and walk 30 feet to deliver a package on the porch. Since Amazon has been using the USPS so much, they pretty much HAVE to get out of the vehicle or they will spend all day writing up those pickup slips. I've noticed a shift to younger, less rotund drivers

Old 11-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I recently shipped a set of cast iron heads....UPS $140 vs FedEx $210.
I got a quote a couple of months ago for shipping a set of these, the price was less than $70 for both. I dont know who it was with, I went to our local mailing place and they gave me the price. I think they shop around for the best deal. I dont ship a lot of stuff but what most of it is through the post office. For the most part most small to medium sized boxes go for less than $20. I tried to get a quote from Fastenal for shipping a pallet of wheels and they wouldn't even get back to me with a quote.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I prefer UPS no problems at all over the years. A few things I bought and were sent via FEDEX have either not arrived and or were damaged. According to FEDEX there have been a lot of complaints about service in my area.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

McMaster-Carr stopped using Fedex in my area. Fedex had a habit of claiming to have delivered packages to out of the way locations but actually left them on the truck for the next day's delivery.

I was one of the people that complained to McMaster, since shop orders are often time sensitive, and I see tracking that says "on the truck for delivery" and it doesn't show up ... kind of puts a kink in my timing.

Fedex delivery guys often looked like gang members driving beat up stolen fedex trucks

Old 11-06-2019, 03:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For what its worth, every day in my business I have to send parcels to all over Australia and sometimes internationally. Mostly to major cities and outlying suburbs but often to more remote locations. And usually quite fragile goods.

I use a company called "Interparcel". https://au.interparcel.com/

All I do is enter my postcode (zipcode) and the postal code for the receiver, the size and weight and it comes back instantly with a range of shipping options. You can high value insure if you like but it gives $100 automatic insurance anyway. Its ALWAYS cheaper than the post office and if I ever try to get a rate direct from a carrier, its always cheaper using Interparcel.
Tracking is instant too.

I can even import goods from any other country by entering the shippers postal code and mine as the receiver and the prices are right there.

I'm sure that there must be equivalent companies in the US offering a similar service. Worth looking at.

Ian

Old 11-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never used them myself but Fastenal gets talked about a lot. USPS is good just make sure you have it boxed very good so it can take a beating. I have actually shipped heads they come in just under the limit of 75 pounds but the lady at the post office was not to happy.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Suspended

It really doesn't matter, they all are a crap shoot. I've had 22 packages damaged by the Big 3 so far this year both incoming and out going. Out of those 22, 20 of the shipped items were destroyed.

I now record all my damaged deliveries prior to opening and instruct anyone I ship to to do the same.

Here are a couple from USPS and one from FedEx. The one that FedEx handled looked like they played Punt, Pass and Kick with totally destroying aluminum framework for a canopy.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Fed-Ex business account and the rates are much lower than a regular walk-up customer. Probably 40% less on average. They are very convenient for me living right next to the airport. UPS is out of the way and generally cost more since I don't have a business account. USPS is all over the map price wise. Yesterday I mailed a 81/2x11 padded envelop with a 40 page catalog in it to Arnie Beswick from OH to IL. USPS $9.08!!! That's really crazy. They said I could put it in their Priority envelop and send it for $7.75 instead, which I did. Really? Still outrageous for a small catalog.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I have been lucky. I ship a lot and have only had the post office damage two items. Also if you know how to finagle the USPS website you can ship for much cheaper. When it asks for box dimensions for example even if its huge ignore that box. The order will process anyway and I have seen 30 dollars difference or more by putting the size in versus letting them find out once the carrier picks it up. I have never had anything returned to me for insufficient postage. I mailed all the stainless trim on the back of my Tempest in a 4 inch piece of PVC pipe 63 inches long for 14.00 with 500 insurance. Granted it was only going about 4 hours away but still

Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5sEIWlQO7A

This is actual video of how your packages are handled. If the stuff you ship out gets damaged well... it's your fault for not packing it good enough.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge