THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default And I wasted money on filter wrenches for all these years!

I thought this was a spoof video at 1st, but I don’t know....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVs03aZjmc

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Most every method he showed wouldn't work for 99% of the filter applications I've ever seen, but maybe someone can use it. I did, however, have to "make" my own oil change tool for a 1985 blazer 2.8 v6, 4x4. It was a small piece of angle iron, with two angry wood screws welded to it, and then a hex bolt welded on the other side to put a socket and extension on, to get it out over the LF wheel. You'd smack the extension with the hammer, which would drive the wood screws into the filter, spin it off, and then let it fall down where you could reach thru above the upper control arm and fish it out with your index finger and thumb. When I sold the damn vehicle, I handed said tool to the new owner. he called me a month later and thanked me immensely. Worst vehicle to ever change oil filter on that I ever found.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 11-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Most every method he showed wouldn't work for 99% of the filter applications I've ever seen, but maybe someone can use it. I did, however, have to "make" my own oil change tool for a 1985 blazer 2.8 v6, 4x4. It was a small piece of angle iron, with two angry wood screws welded to it, and then a hex bolt welded on the other side to put a socket and extension on, to get it out over the LF wheel. You'd smack the extension with the hammer, which would drive the wood screws into the filter, spin it off, and then let it fall down where you could reach thru above the upper control arm and fish it out with your index finger and thumb. When I sold the damn vehicle, I handed said tool to the new owner. he called me a month later and thanked me immensely. Worst vehicle to ever change oil filter on that I ever found.
What? A scissor jack wouldn’t work?

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a three fingered, gear driven Hazet claw that works on every filter no matter how tight or confined. It takes up no room, and the tighter the filter is, the tighter the fingers clamp into it. I've had it almost 40 years.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Hazet is a nice piece of German made kit.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

and to think I just threw one of those jacks away.....

Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
That Hazet is a nice piece of German made kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-05-2019, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

I just had this really crazy idea. How about installing the filter "hand tight" as designed. Then you can use the scissor jack to drop the car on yourself when changing that flat tire.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep only hand tight.
No leaks since 1977...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a brand new GTI back in 1983. I attempted my 1st oil change on it and the car ended up on a rollback going to the VW dealership. My filter wrench collapsed the filter and I ended up breaking the filter housing and the filter never did turn loose of it. The dealership said they'd had that problem with a few new ones.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You mean you just can’t drive a screwdriver through the oil filter?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
You mean you just can’t drive a screwdriver through the oil filter?
LOL... I've had to do that a few times myself. Last time was on the GTO's filter.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never had any problems with a filter I've installed.

But back when I bought my truck whoever'd worked on it before must've felt that filters are supposed to be as tight as you can get them. After crushing the filter body with my filter wrench I drove a screw driver through the body of the filter and proceeded to rip the filter body right off the base which remained stubbornly screwed to the engine. Fortunately this was on an '80s Toyota with a 22R so the filter was very accessible with plenty of working room around it. I had to pry up an edge of the filter base off the mounting pad with a chisel then put vice grips on it and hammer on the vice grip to get it to come loose.

Then there was the '72 Blazer I bought. Had a sticker on the windshield from Jiffy Lube showing the oil had been changed recently. It was leaking quite a bit of oil and when I got under it to look at it I realized it was leaking from the filter-engine interface as the filter was so loose it spun off with no pressure at all.

Somehow I've never had a problem finding the happy medium between those two extremes.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The tightest filters are many time installed by the factory, at least that's what I've seen over the years. The filters that came in for the first service were many times tightened way to tight.

Another thing that will tighten a filter is if it's run so long that it starts to run in by pass mode, I'm not sure of the physics that make this happen, but neglected engines seem to have some of the tightest filters on them.

This was verified by heavy equipment mechanics in the field, servicing machines well past the PM windows. The years I worked on equipment I know I was the last person to service the machine and didn't overtighten the filters, yet they were a bear to remove when I went to service it again.

If you destroy the filter down to the threaded plate trying to remove it, the easiest thing is to catch a chisel edge in the holes in the plate and use the hammer and chisel to turn the plate, no need to drive a chisel between the block and plate to bend it away from the block.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

If you destroy the filter down to the threaded plate trying to remove it, the easiest thing is to catch a chisel edge in the holes in the plate and use the hammer and chisel to turn the plate, no need to drive a chisel between the block and plate to bend it away from the block.
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I'll never encounter that again!