THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Semper Fi Marines !

Happy 244th Marines ! It’s been a few years since. I’ve heard shots fired in anger but I’m fairly certain I can still set the headspace & timing on an M2HB . 50 . I’m off to the local watering hole later for the birthday ceremony and to listen to the the Commandants yearly birthday message . I might even eat an mre later if I get tuned up enough lol So If your out an about today , stop off and drink one for the Corps ! Semper Fi

Old 11-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Corps has two birthdays: the Continental Marine Corps was founded on November 10, 1775 and disbanded in February, 1783. The United States Marine Corps was established by an act of Congress in July, 1799, odd enough on the same day as Congress established the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
The Corps has two birthdays: the Continental Marine Corps was founded on November 10, 1775 and disbanded in February, 1783. The United States Marine Corps was established by an act of Congress in July, 1799, odd enough on the same day as Congress established the U.S. Navy.
First of all a big OOO-RA to my Marine Corps brothers from a Navy Seabee.

When it comes to hierarchy within the armed forces The Marines are considered the second senior service behind the Army, even though the Navy was authorized by the Continental Congress a month before the Marine Corps.

Different reasons for this; One was that due to the fact that the Navy could never give a straight answer as to its beginning. The Corps has always maintained that November 10 1775 was its birthday. The Navy on the other hand seemed to change its birthday over the years finally in 1972, settling on Oct 13 1775.

Another has it that when the Continental Congress officially authorized The Marine Corps on 10 November 1775, it was actually a force in readiness before the Army or the Navy. The first Captain of Marines was commissioned on 28 November 1775.
Congress officially authorized the Navy by resolution in October 1775, however, the first commander-in-chief of the Navy was not commissioned until 22 December 1775. The process of procuring and outfitting ships and enlisting and commissioning personnel followed thereafter.

The Air Force is considered senior to the Coast Guard even though the Coast Guard has been around since 1790, The Air Force was founded in 1947.
This was because it was originally part of the Army and known as the Army Air Corps.

Who knows where the new "Space Force" will end up. LOL

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotivebreath View Post
Happy 244th Marines ! It’s been a few years since. I’ve heard shots fired in anger but I’m fairly certain I can still set the headspace & timing on an M2HB . 50 . I’m off to the local watering hole later for the birthday ceremony and to listen to the the Commandants yearly birthday message . I might even eat an mre later if I get tuned up enough lol So If your out an about today , stop off and drink one for the Corps ! Semper Fi
I never drink whiskey and I know you brush your teeth with beer. But I did 3 shots of makers mark today. My first birthday is November 8th, the 2nd is November 10th.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My dad served in the Marines from 58 -61. I rode his shirt tail and joined the local American Legion as a SAL.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:57 PM

Eat the apple sugar bottom!!!

Loved the deuce but for pure giggle juice the mk19 was choice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guage.png
Views:	68
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	524235  

Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM

My nephew is a Marine and we give each other crap all the time. I sent him this today