THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Military memories

Yesterday being Veterans Day, and the threads here and on other forums about veterans kind of suggested this thread.

For those of you who did not have the opportunity to serve, be advised the military have their own methods. Not saying they are wrong, just different.

Thought I would post a few memories, and encourage others to do the same.

I live in Missouri, and have most of my life. For the last 50 years, have spent most of that time about 80 miles from Fort Leonard Wood (a.k.a. Fort Lost in the Woods); which is where I was stationed for basic training.

Spent December 1968, and January-February 1969 in basic training. The winter of 1968/69 was one of the very coldest in recorded Missouri history! I was fortunate ??? enough to be barracked in one of the new brick barracks. However, since other recruits were barracked in the old "T" (stood for temporary.......from WWII) barracks, the army wanted to treat everyone equally; so the heat was turned off in the brick barracks AND THE WINDOWS WERE LOCKED OPEN!

Had a typing class in high school; so the army gave me a typing test. Stood at parade rest for 40 minutes in 6 degree temperature right before the test!

At the end of basic training, I was assigned to the military police, bused to St. Louis, and put on a military flight for Fort Gordon Georgia. This in the middle of a really nasty winter storm, and ALL CIVILIAN FLIGHTS WERE GROUNDED. The seat belt warning light was not turned off the entire flight.

The first week at Fort Gordon, we were given the speech about buying US Savings Bonds. The Army really wanted 100 percent participation. I was married, and planned to send my entire check home to my wife. Spoke to the platoon sergeant, who suggested to not make waves, and sign up for the bonds. He mentioned they could be cashed with no penalty 3 months after purchase. So I signed up for the bonds.

That Friday, the company bulletin board had two very long lists. One was entitled "Company xx soldiers purchasing US Savings Bonds". The second was entitled "Company xx soldiers awarded weekend passes". If you haven't figured it out by now, the lists were identical except for the titles. But signing up was entirely voluntary

Figured to end up in 'Nam, but was surprised to find that I was assigned a permanent station just south of Tokyo, Japan.

Got to Japan in May 1969. Air quality was not the best, and I have allergies. In the middle of August, we had a terrific storm one night. Got up the next morning to breathable air, and noticed someone moved in an entire mountain range about 20 miles away! Had been there almost 3 months, and the mountain range was invisible the entire time!

Lots of other memories, some good, some less so, but enough for me. Really looking forward to others experiences.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah...sounds like Sea Story time lol.
Every good sea story begins with "Now this ain't no sh--

Spent 25 years in the Navy. The first eight years I was a fleet sailor during the Vietnam war. Did three back to back cruises off Vietnam from 1971, 72 and 73 on two different ships.
My second ship was a WW 2 aircraft carrier. She was old and smaller than the normal carrier but still had what it takes to accomplish the mission.

Before our deployment to Vietnam in early 73, we were off the coast of San Francisco for refresher training drills and encountered a good size storm with occasional 30 foot waves. A carrier doesn't take water over the bow to often so my buddy and I were sitting on the front edge of the flight deck watching the bow drop down into the trough between the waves and then back up again while cresting the wave. In this instance the bow was moving a good 30-40 feet up and down lifting the bow out of the water. We were sort of transfixed watching the waves sometimes splashing across the anchors and then noticed that we were dropping, dropping, dropping down and looked up to see a huge wave coming at us at flight deck level. We got up and started running. Luckily for us there were a pair of aircraft tied down near us. We both grabbed the tie down chains and hung on as the wave crashed over us and the flight deck. Flight deck cameras caught the action and our Chief later chewed us out but was happy he didn't have to write any reports of our being washed overboard.
And that my friends,
Is No Sh--!

Next year I'll tell the story about my second encounter with a storm off Singapore on a small destroyer.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 11-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
Ah...sounds like Sea Story time lol.
Every good sea story begins with "Now this ain't no sh--

Spent 25 years in the Navy. The first eight years I was a fleet sailor during the Vietnam war. Did three back to back cruises off Vietnam from 1971, 72 and 73 on two different ships.
My second ship was a WW 2 aircraft carrier. She was old and smaller than the normal carrier but still had what it takes to accomplish the mission.

Before our deployment to Vietnam in early 73, we were off the coast of San Francisco for refresher training drills and encountered a good size storm with occasional 30 foot waves. A carrier doesn't take water over the bow to often so my buddy and I were sitting on the front edge of the flight deck watching the bow drop down into the trough between the waves and then back up again while cresting the wave. In this instance the bow was moving a good 30-40 feet up and down lifting the bow out of the water. We were sort of transfixed watching the waves sometimes splashing across the anchors and then noticed that we were dropping, dropping, dropping down and looked up to see a huge wave coming at us at flight deck level. We got up and started running. Luckily for us there were a pair of aircraft tied down near us. We both grabbed the tie down chains and hung on as the wave crashed over us and the flight deck. Flight deck cameras caught the action and our Chief later chewed us out but was happy he didn't have to write any reports of our being washed overboard.
And that my friends,
Is No Sh--!
Bonnie Dick or the Big O?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hancock CVA 19

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 11-13-2019, 02:37 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

One of my stories:
Developed a severe case of double pneumonia during USAF basic, but suffered through rather than jeopordize "graduating" from basic. Went on sick call upon arrival at tech school at Chanute AFB and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. After the first week food started tasting good again- so good that after each meal served in the ward, I'd go to the mess hall and gobble down an additional meal. By the time I got out of the hospital I weighed 173 pounds- after never being over 150 for all 23 years of my life!

Old 11-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the great honor of marching with my Navy boot camp company in president Eisenhower's funeral procession back in 1969.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My memory

Spent 24 years in the Navy. My first five were on the USS Kitty Hawk CV-63. I was there in 1984 when we ran over a Russian submarine. When you hear the collision alarm at 2200 it's never a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55439567_2269422519939519_2624323578765508608_n.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	524377  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you, to all that served.
In WWII my Dad left Bessemer Alabama and rode a coal fired train to Chicago to learn to be an electricians mate. Then he rode a similar one out to California where he boarded a Large Slow Target to the Philippines. Out in the middle of nowhere, those running the ship decided to start randomly shooting what little weaponry was aboard. Dad said you'd never seen the likes of the kids diving in holes and under stuff trying to stay alive. Turns out that the ship had just been informed of the A bombs being dropped and the crew was celebrating. In the Philippines dad was given a generator shack to keep up with and his own truck. He liked to tell the story about being wounded out behind the shack. A few of them had cigars and were drinking some beers. While sitting in the sun, the ash from his cigar fell off and burned the only hair he had on his chest off.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hancock CVA 19
I always forget about Hancock. First U.S. carrier to receive steam catapults.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JAck's story is similar to mine.....Basic in Fort Ord, Ca. First some back story........

My then Fiance' planned our wedding a year before I was called to basic.....not a problem I figured, I'd be in AIT at the time, take some time off, etc. Not the best plan, but it would have to do.

In any case, I caught pneumonia during the sixth week of basic and ended up on my back in the hospital for two weeks, then I had to start all over again. Needless to say, this put a dent in our plans.

I mentioned the problem to my CO but hadn't heard anything and the date was coming up, figured he'd give me some slack since it was my second time thru.

My fiance' was getting worried about the wedding plans and the money we would lose so she contacted Dan Rostenkowski's office (our local representative, but the chairman of the House Ways and Means committee at the time)
regarding the issue.

One day I was notified that my CO wanted to speak to me. I went up to the orderly room and the CO said " Kujanski, I just got a call from the Pentagon, I don't want to get calls from the Pentagon.....get the hell out of here! " (with a smirk on his face).

So I got the hell out of there, had a nice weekend and then some, and got back to basic training.

So it's been 47 years since then, had many laughs about it.

True story.

George

Old 11-13-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Yesterday being Veterans Day, and the threads here and on other forums about veterans kind of suggested this thread.

For those of you who did not have the opportunity to serve, be advised the military have their own methods. Not saying they are wrong, just different.

Thought I would post a few memories, and encourage others to do the same.

I live in Missouri, and have most of my life. For the last 50 years, have spent most of that time about 80 miles from Fort Leonard Wood (a.k.a. Fort Lost in the Woods); which is where I was stationed for basic training.

Spent December 1968, and January-February 1969 in basic training. The winter of 1968/69 was one of the very coldest in recorded Missouri history! I was fortunate ??? enough to be barracked in one of the new brick barracks. However, since other recruits were barracked in the old "T" (stood for temporary.......from WWII) barracks, the army wanted to treat everyone equally; so the heat was turned off in the brick barracks AND THE WINDOWS WERE LOCKED OPEN!

Had a typing class in high school; so the army gave me a typing test. Stood at parade rest for 40 minutes in 6 degree temperature right before the test!

At the end of basic training, I was assigned to the military police, bused to St. Louis, and put on a military flight for Fort Gordon Georgia. This in the middle of a really nasty winter storm, and ALL CIVILIAN FLIGHTS WERE GROUNDED. The seat belt warning light was not turned off the entire flight.

The first week at Fort Gordon, we were given the speech about buying US Savings Bonds. The Army really wanted 100 percent participation. I was married, and planned to send my entire check home to my wife. Spoke to the platoon sergeant, who suggested to not make waves, and sign up for the bonds. He mentioned they could be cashed with no penalty 3 months after purchase. So I signed up for the bonds.

That Friday, the company bulletin board had two very long lists. One was entitled "Company xx soldiers purchasing US Savings Bonds". The second was entitled "Company xx soldiers awarded weekend passes". If you haven't figured it out by now, the lists were identical except for the titles. But signing up was entirely voluntary

Figured to end up in 'Nam, but was surprised to find that I was assigned a permanent station just south of Tokyo, Japan.

Got to Japan in May 1969. Air quality was not the best, and I have allergies. In the middle of August, we had a terrific storm one night. Got up the next morning to breathable air, and noticed someone moved in an entire mountain range about 20 miles away! Had been there almost 3 months, and the mountain range was invisible the entire time!

Lots of other memories, some good, some less so, but enough for me. Really looking forward to others experiences.

Jon
I was just searching and it looks like my Basic Training was the 2nd coldest winter in Missouri, not that I am trying to one up you.
Quote:
December 2000 is the only exception when that month turned out to be our second coldest December on record. December 2000 was also the last time most Missourians experienced a White Christmas.
It was actually a pretty nice day marching out the the bivouac site a little cloudy. The DI's made us wear our rain gear and sure enough it started raining lightly. It is a miserable feeling being wet on the outside from rain and wet on the inside from sweat because of wearing a garbage bag, which is what your basic rain gear is. Well we finally get there and dig a fox hole and put poncho over top to keep our gear safe from the rain. Go on another march to firing range and come back to find fox hole is flooded with rain which is pouring down hard and all our dry clothes were wet. So mid afternoon some other Joes bring in MASH looking tents with cots that were supposed to be on a platform but someone forgot the platforms so cots and gear are once again in the mud. The ground is now nothing but mud and trying to drive stakes in the ground is comical. We were only able to get three tents up for all four platoons and by now the rain has turned to frozen rain. There are wood burining stoves that go in the middle of tents but wood is soaked so they are useless. Lucky for us the frozen rain turns to snow in the middle of the night. I dont know how I feel asleep but I finally did and the Drill Sargent's thought it would be funny to wake us up with a little CS gas. All I hear is gas..........gas...........gas, grab my mask and weapon and run outside of tent. Well here comes Crespo running out of the tent in his underwear screaming my mask wont seal , my mask wont seal . Next thing you see is a DI tackle, more like spear Crespo in the back, and screams where is your weapon, you dont ever go anywhere without your weapon. Luckily for us conditions were getting colder and roads were turning icy and the duece & 1/2s came and got us before they couldnt get to us because of the weather . We got back to barracks and after a little PT we headed to a nice hot meal in the chow hall. Cut our bivouac time in half.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
I always forget about Hancock. First U.S. carrier to receive steam catapults.
Were you on an Essex Class carrier?

Never cared much for the Oriskany (Big O) since she was the reason our seven day R/R to Sydney was cancelled. She relieved us off Yankee Station and we were on our way to Sydney. The night before we were cross the Line we made a U Turn back to Yankee Station. Word had it that the Big O had dropped a screw and was on her way to dry dock in Yokosuka. It was another six weeks before we had liberty and then it was in Subic. Never made it (to this day) to Australia.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 11-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent the last six months of my enlistment on the USS Enterprise assigned to VA-27 squadron in the Tonkin gulf, 1972-73. I would sit out on the 013 level and watch night launches. I have several memories from that time. One Sunday we were sitting dead in the when the officer on watch noticed a small covered boat easing towards us. The general alarm was sounded and one plane was launched. We watched as it strafed the boat which exploded in a huge ball of fire. I found out later that it was a covered missile launcher trying to get close enough to attack.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did 21 years in the Army with six deployments, four in Iraq, two invasions and a couple of peace keeping assignments. There are so many memories that come to mind but one of the better ones was giving a young Beoudin mother a case of Mott's Applesauce off my M35A2 (parts truck) during the invasion of Iraq shortly after crossing the wadi during Desert Storm. A few of us were able to grab/save a lot of Mott's Applesauce from a move out fire a couple of nights before.

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 11-14-2019, 01:32 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

November 22nd 1963- Chanute AFB on alert and all airmen restricted to base for 2 weeks+, upon JFK's assassination.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
November 22nd 1963- Chanute AFB on alert and all airmen restricted to base for 2 weeks+, upon JFK's assassination.
Same date, Munich, Germany. Late at night.

Two MP's walk in the pub and unplug the jukebox, while one stands in the middle of the room and says "Everyone will report back to base immediately."

After a rather loud response by a few intoxicated patrons of "Plug in the jukebox" and "As soon as I finish my beer", same MP pulls out his 45, loads a round and replies "IMMEDIATELY".
Needless to say, the pub cleared very quickly!

We got to base, loaded all elements of our Missile Monitor company and disappeared into the mountains of Germany for two weeks, moving location every day.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Were you on an Essex Class carrier?

Never cared much for the Oriskany (Big O) since she was the reason our seven day R/R to Sydney was cancelled. She relieved us off Yankee Station and we were on our way to Sydney. The night before we were cross the Line we made a U Turn back to Yankee Station. Word had it that the Big O had dropped a screw and was on her way to dry dock in Yokosuka. It was another six weeks before we had liberty and then it was in Subic. Never made it (to this day) to Australia.
No. Grew up in a Navy family. Youngest uncle was a bo’sun’s mate on Boxer. He stayed in the Navy and retired a CWO-4. Another uncle was on Midway and yet another was on USS Cleveland during Korea.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Midway Museum here in San Diego is the #1 tourist attraction in town. Moored downtown down the block from the Amtrak station and the Cruise line pier

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 11-14-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Midway Magic

Midway Magic!
B-Div
82-85 & 89-91

BTCS

Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Midway Museum here in San Diego is the #1 tourist attraction in town. Moored downtown down the block from the Amtrak station and the Cruise line pier
Uncle Bill wanted to go to it, but his health didn’t allow him to fly. He passed away this past April. It was the one thing I couldn’t manage to pull off for him.

Dr. Thomas Sowell