Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 PM

Default Steering wheel column and gear box help

Hi everyone new here. I have always lurked in the shadows before now eavesdropping on your "conversations". I have learned a lot from you all and haven't had the chance to thank you.....so thank you

ANYWAYS DOWN TO BUSINESS

So I got a 65 lemans PROJECT
it was my brothers and he was just letting it rot so I gave it a new home
My question is this: I have a 1969 Camaro walnut steering wheel absolutely beautiful and I got a 1966 chevy ii 3 on tree column and a automatic tempest column and a few Camaro quick ratio gear boxes.
I want to NO I NEED to use that Camaro walnut grain steering wheel...
Whats the best route for me to make this happen? The car is an automatic now but I'm changing to 4 speed

Old 11-15-2019, 12:01 AM

You can see why I want to use one of these. Every aftermarket wood steering wheel has rivets or looks like plastic. These steering wheel do not compare to the one I have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191114_210508.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	524526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191114_210436.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	524527  

Old 11-15-2019, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Camaro "walnut" steering whl will mate up to the splines on your '65 LeMans steering column. Have had several of those steering wheels & many more Buick/Chevelle brushed 3 spoke wheels. The trick will be getting the horn to work, am not sure if a factory horn contact used with an early GTO wood wheel will work with that wheel or the contact will have to be modified.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
The Camaro "walnut" steering whl will mate up to the splines on your '65 LeMans steering column. Have had several of those steering wheels & many more Buick/Chevelle brushed 3 spoke wheels. The trick will be getting the horn to work, am not sure if a factory horn contact used with an early GTO wood wheel will work with that wheel or the contact will have to be modified.
Thanks pinion head! It's just such a beautiful steering wheel...worth the sacrifice of a horn. For a walnut wheel like that I'll stick my head out the window and scream ahhhhooogaaaa.

What about the Saginaw quick ratio 2 3/4 lock to lock will they work? One is a 74 and the other a bit older ones 3 bolt and the other is 4. My car has 3 bolt currently. Unfortunately the rebuilt one is 4 hole. Also could I get away with using the 66 Nova steering column? In much better shape than my own. But it doesn't have the rod that come out of it and goes to the "rag" joint.
Thanks in advance

Old 11-15-2019, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get an ididit column and a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. Your horn will work and you’ll have a tilt wheel. I have put ididit in everything I have ever owned

Old 11-15-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Get an ididit column and a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. Your horn will work and you’ll have a tilt wheel. I have put ididit in everything I have ever owned
I would love to be able to afford a new column but with Christmas and what not I have to go with what I got. I paid a 1$ for the 66 column with harness and 5 for both 69 and 74 Camaro quick ratio gear boxes. Money saved is money saved lol. I guess I could sell them but that's a Hassel.
Is it possible to use the standard 66 column? It may be a three speed but it looks more like a manual than the tempest one plus that ones blue. Some one I know did say he could trade me a 66 catalina standard tilt (I think) for some O type gm 302 rockers but idk if that's much of a deal....

Old 11-15-2019, 03:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Oh also what's wrong with the Camaro quick ratios or is the Jeep one better because of the size of the Jeep and it's turning radius?

Thanks for the input btw

Old 11-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You definitely wont like the steering radius with f- body boxes in an a-body unless the stops have been modified inside. Wont turn in a forty acre field.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 Lemans View Post
You definitely wont like the steering radius with f- body boxes in an a-body unless the stops have been modified inside. Wont turn in a forty acre field.
And that's why I came to you all lol how would I know that on my first gm car. Was Ford till I became a man.
Well I have another Saginaw other than them 2 it's an older one but has the same amount of turns lock to lock does that also as the others would this also be unsatisfactory? Looks like I'mma have to sell my gear boxes and Nova column...that should pay for a new column and better gear box right? How many turns lock to lock am I looking for?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats wrong with your current '65 A-body column? If it works fine, no reason to fall into the idiot column trap.

On strg boxes, I've pulled over two dozen MonteSS boxes & early 2 wheel drive Jeep GC boxes for strg box swaps. Pulled them in all in the Pick-N-Pulls, for long time could get out for under $25 with an old 800 box as a core. Today, theyll whack ya near $50, & if its an LKQ, they whack you on the pitman arm too. you'll want to remove your old A-body pitman arm to reinstall, & youll need the correct PS rag joint & will have track down the metric to standard inserts so can run a reproduction PS pressure line or you can try a PS pressure line from a 80's G-body Cutlass with a 307 engine, done 'em both ways.