Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
I thought you had a V plenum intake in addition to your flat plenum one? Is there any chance the V plenum one would fit highports? I haven't seen them side by side so I don't know if there is more material in the runners or not? Maybe I'm thinking of the one on your Le Mans
Since you have highports, maybe the Hogan "bathtub" replica intake would be for you? here a pic of the one Larry Quinn had them make.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath%20tub%20intake.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	297961  

Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Thats not a Hogan bathtub. That is one of the castings Dave Johnson and I did. Larry had it modified. Larry had Hogan build a bathtub type intake to replace the manafold in the picture in the above post.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the Hogan on my car now Marty.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer

S/S Racer John Schloa called me today looking for one of these intakes. Told him to get a hold on Tom S.

Ace

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rompn63 View Post
Thats not a Hogan bathtub. That is one of the castings Dave Johnson and I did. Larry had it modified. Larry had Hogan build a bathtub type intake to replace the manafold in the picture in the above post.
Agree, Dave Johnson (may his soul rest in eternal peace) and Joe Z. were the main guys in getting the intake in the picture above sorted out. Their intake was a lot better vs the Flat Floor intake for the type of racing that they were doing.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Agree, Dave Johnson (may his soul rest in eternal peace) and Joe Z. were the main guys in getting the intake in the picture above sorted out. Their intake was a lot better vs the Flat Floor intake for the type of racing that they were doing.

Tom Vaught
Are the molds still around? Why don't they just cast more of them?

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

oops my bad, i was sure i had a pic of the Hogan intake, thought that was it.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Are the molds still around? Why don't they just cast more of them?
The Molds, Manifolds, etc were part of a project by Randy Williams, Joe Zajac, and Dave Johnson to make a competitive "bathtub" intake for the class for the Pontiac guys.

Joe ran one of the Intakes on his 63 Catalina Race Car as did Dave Johnson and a few other Pontiac Racers (like Scott Tiemann on Randy's Tempest 2-door drag wagon.

When Randy died, all of his rare Pontiac parts, the molds, etc went to his wife. She wants a lump sum for all of it. So the molds are not available to make more intakes like the old ones. Yes they are around, but not available unless you have 1,000,000 to buy the whole package of parts.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Quote:
The Molds, Manifolds, etc were part of a project by Randy Williams, Joe Zajac, and Dave Johnson to make a competitive "bathtub" intake for the class for the Pontiac guys.

Joe ran one of the Intakes on his 63 Catalina Race Car as did Dave Johnson and a few other Pontiac Racers (like Scott Tiemann on Randy's Tempest 2-door drag wagon.

When Randy died, all of his rare Pontiac parts, the molds, etc went to his wife. She wants a lump sum for all of it. So the molds are not available to make more intakes like the old ones. Yes they are around, but not available unless you have 1,000,000 to buy the whole package of parts.

Tom Vaught
1,000,000.00......? Is there a convertible 69 trans am in the lot?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Tom Vaught
Yeah that's what Tom S told me, but I thought he had molds for the flat floor intake, not the V floor (I assumed there were two sets). Too bad, I doubt that stuff will ever sell for that price.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Boost Engineer

There were some early Dave Johnson, Rick Johnson, Joe Zajac, "flat floor" Bathtub intakes made (before my time helping them) that may not have been part of the Randy Williams project. More of a recast of the original Bathtub intake. That stuff might still be out there somewhere else. No "V" plenum stuff.

Tom Vaught

Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom, Any updates on this project?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As of this time not enough interest.I think we would have to sell at least 50 to make it work.I have a guy that can make the 3D molds but then they would have to be cast and machined.Tom

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
As of this time not enough interest.I think we would have to sell at least 50 to make it work.I have a guy that can make the 3D molds but then they would have to be cast and machined.Tom
We all appreciate the effort, Tom. Out of curiosity, what would the price be if you met your 50 manifolds? I'd probably have 5K in it by the time Jim got it to finally fit my heads

Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have put the project in another persons hands.I will offer up my intake to be digitized if and when the time comes.Tom

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Bathtub intake

Gee, that V-Plentum bathtub sure looks familiar!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathtub 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	313224  

Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,I had 3 diff versions of Randys bathtub intakes test side by side on a engine dyno.There was a flat floor,a V with round entry going into port shape and V plenum with port shape in the V.This was on a E headed 460ish engine.They all were within 5 HP at peak of each other.The intakes and dyno sheets were returned to Randy.FWIW,Tom

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
(snip) They all were within 5 HP at peak of each other.
So, one can presume that the floor design and runner entry shape had no effect on HP? That's kinda surprising.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Craig,I believe it was because of the engine design.That was a 6500 RPM engine.I think when a engine get in the 8K range which is what Dave,Rick and Joe started running the shorter(V plenum)came into its own.I think the factory design with runner length was right on for the SD project.I had a engine on Joe Shermans dyno a year or so ago with a single 4 SD intake and carb and asked Joe to put my bathtub with a pair of SD AFBs on it and he said would be a complete waist of time because it was a 6K RPM engine.Pickup 35 HP with NO tuning.He still talks about it.Tom

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Tom,

OK, that makes sense, now.

Same deal on the TR Kern & I built for the 326. We ran the TR one weekend at Big Willie's drag strip on Terminal Island on a more or less stock 455HO with a HC-03 hydraulic cam in my (at the time NHRA record holding 1974 T/A) and it went (relatively) nice and slow (12s something instead of low 11s).

Unfortunately, Big Willie allowed informal cash money betting on each race since that is what happened at their illegal races at 2AM in City of Industry and such places, so a lot of Pontiac/H-O Racing fans lost some $$$ on that exhibition match off (can't remember the opponent). After that race, one of my pit crew advised that I "shouldn't do that again." I didn't.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Hendrickson; 02-14-2013 at 09:32 PM.