Old 06-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Question, installing a .100 mid plate. Can I leave the stock dowel pins as is ?
Some of the stock Pontiac dowel pins have over half of their length tapered. I am guessing this was for easy assembly at the plants. IMO, the full diameter of the dowel pin should protrude through the midplate and the bellhousing. (meaning none of the tapered area of the pin should be used for location of those parts. I would exchange them for longer ones if not.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Boost Engineer

Thanks Mike, The three engines I checked all were exactly as you described in your post.
Put a Proper Lakewood Block Plate and a Lakewood Bellhousing on your engine and in some cases there is very little, if any register for the bellhousing from the dowels. Longer dowels for sure needed.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Good grief, I've had 10 or more Pontiac engines dyno'd or needed mid plates or adapters installed that we've pulled the pins for. It's not even debatable.......but you will.
You were right! LOL!

GTO George

Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Some of the stock Pontiac dowel pins have over half of their length tapered. I am guessing this was for easy assembly at the plants. IMO, the full diameter of the dowel pin should protrude through the midplate and the bellhousing. (meaning none of the tapered area of the pin should be used for location of those parts. I would exchange them for longer ones if not.
Just checked mine. They do not tapper. Plate is .100 thick and the straight part of the pins go another .100 past the plate. Looks like the holes in the plate are .009 larger than the pins.
Think I should be OK.