Old 04-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Rear speakers in 70 convertible

Im looking to put rear speakers in my 70 Lemans convertible next to the seats. I was going to cut holes in the panels but there is not enough depth for the speaker because of the lift cylinders for the top. Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit available to mount speakers in this area?

Option B is to build a box to mount over the driveshaft hump that I found while searching on PY (thanks PB!).

Attached are a few examples

Thanks
Frank T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear speakers.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	536353   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear speakers 1.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	536354   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear speakers 2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	536355  

Old 04-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found rear speakers in my Lemans to be a waste with the top down.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Think there are aftermarket kick panels that have speaker mount provisions.
(front seat area)

Modifying the center section of upper rear seat for speaker mounting would be a cool trick.

A roll bar with boat speakers mounted on it might be wild
... maybe too wild

Old 04-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Senior Chief

When my car (67 GTO convertible) was given away in the late 1980’s, the stereo shop mounted speakers inside the back seat with small tweeters in the rear armrests. The amp is behind the rear seat under the top well. It sounds good going down the road.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:56 AM

Default Rear speakers in 70 convertible

I know I tend to be a purist but take it from me, who cut the very same holes in my 1971 GTO convertible's rear panels and years later regretted doing it.
Those panels are getting hard to find without holes.
I have used the pre cut holes in the rear seat divider panel, where the well for the top is.
When I replaced the rear panels with clean ones years ago so it looked correct, I put good 6x9 speakers in the well area, through the well material, and mounted them to the metal panel, which is already shaped and cut out for them.
Yes, the sound can be muffled when the top is down, but if you use good speakers, an amp in the trunk and like the last member commented, get a set of those A body front kick panels with the pre made speaker holes, it will sound good and will look as original as possible.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Senior Chief

I installed an amp hidden in the trunk and small subs behind the back seat and still have to mount 1" tweeters on the side panel. I am pretty sure will work well, but do not have the rear seat installed. I mounted the subs in between the seat frame and made a plastic ring so the mount surface was flat from some plastic I had for fit and hopefully no vibration. This installation is not complete but a god example of what I am doing. Note: run amp RCA cable on other side of the floor from the main loom for rear wires!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E3271[1].jpg
Views:	194
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	536506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3268[1].jpg
Views:	251
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	536507  

Old 04-25-2020, 02:43 AM
Senior Chief

My car was modified when I bought it in 2000 with 5 or 6" speakers in the lower area of the armrest. The rings and grilles are painted to match the upholstery and it's not that obtrusive...I also added a small self powered 8" sub under the passenger bucket...it's decent but hey, you're never going to get great sound in a convertible.