67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 firebird fender

I read through some old threads about poor fit of 69 fenders. Have they improved them? Has anyone put on a set recently and can speak for current production? Looking for both sides.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Anecdotally I have not heard that they have improved. If you're buying a repop, expect to have a body shop spend a decent amount of time getting them "right."

That said, they aren't monumentally terrible. It's not like they just don't go into place. Where you'll typically have trouble is the alignment to your headlight surrounds and the radiator support. If the car is primarily just a driver, or fun weekend cruiser, you (and basically all passer byes) aren't really going to notice it. Not unless you're being really nit-picky.

If the car is a show car and it's gaps an alignment need to be perfect, it's going to be an issue. So it really depends on where you want to spend the money. You can try and find NOS fenders that are going to fit better and require less work at the body shop, but cost an arm and a leg. Or, you can purchase repops which are much cheaper, but will require much more work at the body shop.

It's basically a pick your poison type situation.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default Fender

I've done a couple, had to cut and push front down to get it to line right for the headlight. One I had to cut 5 or six spot welds back to get the hood curve. do able. Last two i pieced two fenders together and patched on my own, Takes time but well worth it... Ron

Old 04-19-2020, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepr View Post
I've done a couple, had to cut and push front down to get it to line right for the headlight. One I had to cut 5 or six spot welds back to get the hood curve. do able. Last two i pieced two fenders together and patched on my own, Takes time but well worth it... Ron
What brand fender did you use?