Old 04-22-2020, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 GTO electrical issue please help.....

I have my car on a battery tender when being stored. The other day I went to start the car (last time I started the car was January 2020 and it started fine), I flipped on the electric fuel pump and that turned on fine. I left it running for like 15-20 seconds before going to fire up the car. When I turned the ignition key everything went dead, the starter didn't even try, but the fuel pump went off instantly.

Now nothing works at all, no electric pump, no clicking noise by turning the ignition key.

I used a multi-meter to check the battery and it reads 12.9 volts. Tested the multi meter with other batteries (i.e. AA batteries and they measured over 1.5 volts, 9 volt battery measured over 9 volts, so multi-meter seems to be working)

I attached a portable jump starter to the battery and I tried the electric fuel pump and the fuel pump turned on. I didn't try starting the car though. Disconnected the jump starter and again the electric pump would not turn on and battery still measured 12.9 volts.

What do you think the problem might be???

Any help will be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check that both main cables are tight and not burnt. Then start checking for 12v. Check at the starter, at the main splice, (should be along the intake/valve cover area driver side), and at the fuse block. See if you can pinpoint where the loss is. Where your fuel pump is wired from should provide a clue.