Old 04-25-2020, 05:20 PM

Default '69 GTO Idiots lights to Rally Gauge conversion: please share your experiences.......

Greetings,

Situation is : '69 GTO w. Idiot lights originally installed. I have a complete original Gauge Cluster and wish to restore and install/convert to it.

Questions:
1.) must I replace the Dash Harness with a different Harness made for the Gauge Option, or can I retain the existing Harness and add modification, and if so, how done?
2.) can I retain all other components of the existing Speedometer, Fuel Gauge, housing, etc. and simply replace the Idiot Lights with the Gauges and a correct Circuit?, - or - is the Housing, etc. an entirely different part?

I'd be most grateful for any advice you can offer. Thank you.

400/350hp M-22 4-spd, 3:55
Midnight Green, Cordova Roof
Dark Green Interior, 67k orig mi.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

There are SO MANY threads on this topic in this forum... all you need to do is look for it.....use the search feature

Old 04-27-2020, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the Ames catalog, they make a repop gauge cluster. The originals have gotten quite pricey:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-71-...MAAOSw8~5el61A

Note '69 had a 120 mph speedo. The listings I found on ebay were for 1970+.

The dash harness is different w/ gauges. You could probably rig something up if you are good with wires and electrics. The dash harness is $550+ new. Might be able to find a used harness but then you might be chasing gremlins.

The dash needs to come all the way out either way, so consider other dash related projects to do at the same time.. New firewall pad, dash restore, etc.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have ,the change over from idiot lights to gauges , at the cucuit board wiring swap info if you decide
to go to gauges .... the only part thats the same between the 2 if they are both 69 is the speedo and light bulbs and facia and lense
everything else is different .... housing, curcuit board,
you need the correct engine senders from Lectric limited ... if you do ...
the biggest issue is rust on the fuse clips where they touch the end of the fuse ....
Scott T

Old 04-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before you get into removing the dash pad I recommend that you have the speedometer rebuild and replace the oilite bushing inside of it. The magnet may also need to be replaced if the spinning shaft is scratched or scored. I would have those used gauges tested, prior to install (with the 2 sending units) as well as to replace the printed circuit on the back of the housing.

The steel housing will most likely be rusted (both inside & out) on any 50+ year old set of used gauges so me mindful that there is NO GROUND wire in the plug-in. The steel housing was used by GM as the ground pathway for everything inside of that cluster.

Running GM gauges without a solid ground is a sure fire way to damage them!!!!

Old 04-29-2020, 09:49 AM

Many thanks to each of you for your input. I attached some pics of the current and intended parts.
Rally Gauge conversion sounds like a fairly costly and trouble-prone endeavor. I'm now wondering if the Idiot Lights are really all that bad, and should be kept there instead. I suppose as long as Idiot Lights operate properly, I should at least get a warning if there is a problem with Oil Pressure or overheating, though not as nifty as having Gauges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior (13).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	538683   Click image for larger version

Name:	rally gauges (4).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	538686   Click image for larger version

Name:	rally gauges (33).jpg
Views:	144